Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Paper Mario 3DS: Sticker Star Impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 10:54:54 AM PST
I didn't see a thread on this so I figured I would post my impressions of the latest entry in the Paper Mario Series.

In honesty I haven't played a Paper Mario game since the first one on the 64, and a little bit of Thousand Year Door. I Did watch the one on the Wii get played but I never played it myself.

To sum it up, PM3DS is NOT an RPG in the sense that All the other paper mario games are. If your looking for Exp and levels and stats this is not the game for you. It's more like... like Zelda than an RPG. You have a certain amount of HP that can be increased by finding heart containers (+% HP Per one found in game) that's it. your attacks are based on the Stickers you find and they are all one use attacks. Once you use them you can't use it again ever unless you find the sticker again. Now this may seem horrible but actually it creates a really fun strategy game in a way.

You get X amount of pages of stickers, on average you can fit about 12 per page, some stickers are bigger and take up 4-8 slots on a page so you have to be careful. But these big ones are the strongest attacks in the game and are fun to watch. They are like summons from the Final Fantasy series. I say X amount of pages because you gain more of those as the game goes on.

Now as for the stickers themselves, there are 96 combat stickers and 64 "Thing" stickers (These are the Big stickers, i like to call them Summons). Once you find a "Thing" sticker you can buy it again and use it, however you can only have one of the same summon at a time. But they have more than just uses inside of battle, these stickers can (and some times HAVE to) be used outside of battle to open up pathways or to clear a sandstorm etc... and this is where I think the game gets fun. It doesn't hold your hand at all you have to figure out which stickers to use, where they are hidden and if you chose the wrong sticker you do lose it. It's where the Metroid/Zelda feeling hits me that I like it. Problem solving has always been a plus for me in these kinds of games, and having to backtrack a bit to find a lost item i missed is entertaining... mostly. I think Metroid takes it a level TOO far but that's ok.

As for the combat since this is a Paper Mario game. I find combat to be a lot of fun. As I said you use your stickers to fight adn there are plenty to choose from. It's a matter of choosing which stickers can kill your opponents in one shot or not. But it's not a simple one click and watch fight (well the summons are) you have to hit the action button at the right time to perform a timed attack just like in the old Mario RPG game, and all the RPG mario games since. The boss battles are a bit more ridiculous and even involve a bit of problem solving. Each boss tends ot have a weakness, ussually one of the summon stickers. For instance one will become much weaker if you use the bat on it. Sadly I never had those stickers for those fights and i end up using a lot of my battle stickers to win, but I found it to be a lot of fun. Lastly, the main point of the game is not only to collect stickers, but coins as well. With coins you can buy more stickers and summon stickers, and it gives you access to the battle spinner in combat. THe battle spinner gives you a chance to use more than one sticker in a turn letting you combo certain ones together. It's expensive but a lot of fun. I ended up spending all my money to kill a boss cause I messed up big time. But i killed him!

All in all I think it's a fun game, the humor is silly and all paper themed. But in a good way. I like that they are aware that they are paper and don't really question it. If you are however looking for a good RPG... this isn't it. In fact I wouldn't even call it an RPG same as I wouldn't call Zelda an RPG. It's more of an... Action Plat former. A great addition to the 3DS library all in all and it's even available on the e-shop.

Things i Like:
+Figuring out which stickers to bring and managing them is fun to me
+The levels are silly but fun, as is the humor
+Plenty of stickers to collect and use
+Summon stickers are fun to watch
+Rewarding when solving a puzzle as the game has 0 handholding

Things I thought were meh
:Not an actual RPG. I would have liked at least an Attack or Defense stat, atm I have to remember the damage of every item
:I'm slightly worried about game length, it doesn't appear to be that long a game though I may be wrong
:Sometimes the Dialogue can go on for a bit longer than needed, though not often

Things I don't like
-The loss of a battle companion is sad, i liked having a sidekick
-The bosses can be unfair at times and if you didn't bring the right summon sticker than it's going to be a LOT harder, though still possible
-You find out what sticker to use on the boss... after you kill it or during the fight where it's already too late
-Selling Stickers takes a long time sometimes.

as it stands I give the game an 8/10. it's not GOTY, but it's fun.

If any one has any questions I'll be glad to answer them... if I can that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:58:52 AM PST
JWK says:
Awesome review. Very detailed. I think your point of "it's not *exactly* an RPG" is why it's somewhat struggled getting higher reviews (though 7 - 8/10 is still a strong score). Super Paper Mario on Wii wasn't exactly an RPG either, but I loved that game. No one creates a world like Nintendo.

I look forward to this one. I'm actually encouraged by the prospect of playing a Zelda-esque game in the Paper Mario universe.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:59:00 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Wow, this game does not sound like I would like it at all. Nice in depth impressions. I'm not going to be grabbing this one.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:01:10 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Thanks for posting. My copy is sitting in the backlog right now

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:04:02 AM PST
Ice King says:
Thanks for this. I was on the fence after reading an earlier preview of the game but this confirms that I definitely don't want it. Super Paper Mario for the Wii was a great game, this sounds like it's going to be a chore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:04:58 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I agree. To me this sounds like an even more annoying card battle game, if such a thing were possible. I just don't see myself having any fun with this title.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:05:33 AM PST
The paper Mario's before it were still more RPG than this is, but I think if you don't look at it as an RPG... it is better. Cause if you buy this wanting an RPG... yeah it's gunna be a major disappointment.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:06:07 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
The fact that there's no hand-holding regarding which sticker to use where kinda reminds me of the King's Quest series of old. Sticker Star sounds like a pretty good game if you have the patience for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:06:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 11:07:00 AM PST
AH! That's it, it's like a card battle game, I couldn't place it till now. Accept the cards don't recycle like in Baton Kaitos or a few others.

Also yes it does kind of have a king's questish exploring and experimenting vibe. Though I only ever played KQ7

Thank you!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:29:01 AM PST
I played it for a few hours yesterday and, it's pretty addicting, but slightly annoying. I've already gotten stuck in a section because I don't have the right type of sticker, and I have no idea what to do next (which is what I figured would happen due to the reviews). Thankfully the 3DS saves my internet browsing and I can easily switch to an FAQ when I need it... because I will definitely need it.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:44:43 AM PST
Aku says:
This game went from a must-buy to a pass as the reviews and information rolled in. You can't target specific enemies, partners are gone, badges are gone, 80% of attack types are gone or shoved into the sticker thing, chapter mini-stories are gone, pretty much all customization related to leveling is gone, platforming upgrades are gone.

These things were, for the most part, not even replaced. They're just outright removed from the game with no attempt to exchange them for different mechanics. The only exception to that are the stickers, which are simply items under a new label.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:49:44 AM PST
Can't deny any of that. I don't think it's a great Paper Mario game. I just think it's a good game.

Also CHeeze, where are you stuck I may be able to help.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:11:56 PM PST
I don't have my copy yet, as I made the mistake of trying to save $10 by buying at Newegg...forgot how insanely slow their shipping is these days. But I'm super psyched about this game, even though it sounds like they missed an opportunity with the stickers. If they had made the stickers like a collectible component (a la Pokemon with the monsters), it could have been super addicting. But it sounds like they didn't go that route, which is disappointing. But it still sounds like a game I'll love.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:16:05 PM PST
I didn't explore much last night, I just got to a point in a goomba castle where wind always keeps me from progressing, and spikes in another room, so I figured I'd have to go back and explore other areas first. I was pretty tired so I just decided to explore it later, probably tonight. A little hint would be nice though!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:25:38 PM PST
That tripped me up the first time I went there as well.

Paperization mode may help

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:28:55 PM PST
I figured it might but I couldn't think of any stickers I have that would work to block air from a fan or anything. Now I'm thinking maybe there's something I can peel off instead... I'll have another go tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:33:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 12:43:06 PM PST
EDIT: Decided to just give a final hint than the answer

Hint: It's way simpler than your making it out to be :3

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:43:46 PM PST
J. Arthur says:
Jack Fox--thank you for the great review. I picked up the game yesterday afternoon and my first impressions are very much aligned with yours. Like you, I was disappointed that the series moved away from its RPG roots and elected to place more of an emphasis on platforming. I found the sticker based combat system to be reminiscent of the card based battles in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (one of the few games in the KH series that I did not care for).

Determining the right sticker to use does provide a strategy component to the game, but I find myself wondering why the developers deviated from a RPG formula that has worked so well in the previous Paper Mario entries. The problem solving elements in the game are clearly its strength--although I am concerned that they will become redundant as the game goes on.

I think your score of 8/10 is right on the money. It is certainly worth playing if you are a fan of the Paper Mario series, but I hope that the next installment brings back the RPG feel.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:00:17 AM PST
You're right, I got it immediately last night lol. Boss was fun, but omg, they really take a lot of damage from the real-world items, and pretty much put the game into easy mode. It's either really difficult without those items, or way too easy with them. :/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions