Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PS4 "will out-power most PCs for years to come", says Just Cause dev

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2013 10:41:44 PM PDT
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/11/ps4-will-out-power-most-pcs-for-years-to-come-says-just-cause-dev/

Avalanche Studios chief technical officer Linus Blomberg has great faith in the PlayStation 4′s hardware, as well as Sony's plans for the new console's business model.

Speaking with GamingBolt, Blomberg said that a new console cycle is always "very exciting", and this one is well overdue.

"The consoles desperately need a boost since having been overtaken in terms of performance by PCs several years ago, and also losing market share to mobile platforms," he said.

"I'm glad Sony decided to go with 8GB RAM because it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come."

That statement makes a lot more sense when you remember that gamers tend to have much more powerful PCs than your average consumer, a mass-market PC developers have to factor in when making games scaleable. It seems Blomberg was in general quite impressed with the hardware.

"The off-the-shelf philosophy behind the architecture makes sense from a pricing and heating point of view, but it also means that Sony more easily can make incremental improvements of their system," he noted.

"If that's actually their plan I don't know, but it could help preventing the inevitable loss of market shares that the long console cycles entails."

Blomberg also showed enthusiasm for Sony's vision for the PS4′s business model.

"The PS4 will not only be a very powerful gaming machine from a hardware perspective, but it will also be a social tool and integrated marketplace more akin to the successful mobile devices," he said.

"It's the best of all worlds in a way; great performance for demanding high-end gaming, good social ecosystem and connectivity, and integrated business marketplace.

"For Avalanche Studios as an open-world games developer this is super exciting and opens up many new opportunities. It's a perfect fit for the types of games we do, and we are confident that we'll bring open-world gaming to a whole new level because of it."

Avalanche is believed to be working on Just Cause 3 and a Mad Max game. It is likely to reveal one or the other over the next few months, probably at or leading up to E3 2013 in June, as it's been dropping teasers.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:42:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 10:42:50 PM PDT
all this doesnt matter because Pachter said Xbox 720 has won!

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 12:02:44 AM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
I don't see how, if you look at the graphics card, it's not even close to being powerful than any of the Nvidia 500 or 600 series cards.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:35:05 AM PDT
That is such a worthless statement. You can go out today and buy a desktop or even laptop that will out-power most PCs for years to come.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:01:01 AM PDT
Fap says:
I wish the statement was true, but unless they make the PS4 upgradeable I highly doubt it lasts long.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:56:42 AM PDT
uncledonnie3 says:
This of course isn't even remotely accurate...but that didn't stop Doug from creaming himself when he read the title.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 5:03:43 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
I'm sure he means "days" to come, not years.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 5:18:32 AM PDT
Lucanus says:
Out power the average pc, sure. Out power the average gaming rig, no.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 12:58:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 12:58:40 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
don't see how the PS4 could be upgradable, when the hardware is in such a small casing. if you wanted to put like a Nvidia 680 in it, it wouldn't even fit, since the card is so bulky.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:00:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 1:29:43 PM PDT
Well "most PCs" are probably laptops with terrible intel integrated graphics, and beating those isn't much of an achievement.

If you're comparing the PS4 to PCs that people actually intend to game on, you can already build a PC that beats the PS4 for around $1000, and that price is only going to come down.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:09:26 PM PDT
Soulshine says:
The name's Power. Max Power.

(points to monogram on shirt)

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:18:56 PM PDT
The PS4 doesn't even out power my PC now, let alone years from now... And I only have 32GB of RAM right now...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:20:52 PM PDT
Eh actually I think for $1000 you can build a rig that outperforms the specs they're listing for the PS4. Next generation is going to be interesting, especially on PC. Wonder if this is going to really drive down hardware costs. Considering most people aren't going to go for the high-end enthusiast stuff, the fact that you can already make a PC for $1000 that is going to be better then the next gen consoles (maybe not the NextBox until they release its specs). In 2-3 years that price could be cheaper to make a gaming rig then buy a console.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:21:35 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
Only 32 GB?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:22:11 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
$1000 would bury the ps4 in ability. $650 is all it would take to outclass the ps4.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:24:26 PM PDT
Yeah PC gaming is looking more and more affordable as time goes on. I mean almost everyone uses a home PC these days. That usually costs you around $400. So instead of buying that AND a $400-500 console, you can just spend an extra couple hundred and have a PC that outperforms the consoles. And that you can do it SO early this generation of consoles is going to be really interesting.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:25:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 1:26:20 PM PDT
Yeah, only 32gb. I probably wont upgrade for another year or so when the cost of RAM comes down. 128 GB of RAM is expensive... and a board that could use the much RAM is too.

Edit: And a PS4 is still a day 1 buy for me, I don't care if it has as much power as a cheap PC or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:27:06 PM PDT
Benpachi says:
Funny you mention that, because the article does too:

"That statement makes a lot more sense when you remember that gamers tend to have much more powerful PCs than your average consumer"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:30:47 PM PDT
Yeah, I've seen "comparably powerful PCs" (to the PS4) prices in the $600-$800 price range.

Which is to say that Sony can't really plausibly market "this is the beastliest game machine in the land."

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:36:08 PM PDT
My laptop is almost a year old and has 16GB of RAM and my desktop is coming up on being two years old and has 8GB of RAM with two open slots if I want to add in more. Also last time I checked the CPU and the GPU come into play when it comes to how powerful a system is.

So yea... /facepalm

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:37:51 PM PDT
Yeah CPU and GPU do come into play... Depends on what your doing. I only use a 2 GB GPU card because I need the power for Photoshop, not games.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:43:02 PM PDT
Cyberphobia says:
"it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come."

This is both a silly and accurrate statement. As mentioned later in the article and pointed out by Benpachi, there is a difference between gaming rigs and mass market pc's. Your average household will buy a baseline PC with minimal gaming capabilities and don't upgrade often. Yes, the PS4 will out perform those for a while. But, the PS4 is a gaming machine and should be compared to gaming PC's. In which case, the PS4 is already being out performed. The article compares apples to oranges. However, bottom line, it is still great to hear a dev saying the PS4 is powerful, and seems to be enjoyable to work with.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:59:59 PM PDT
Kr155 says:
The truth he's telling isn't the truth you thought you heard.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 2:59:22 PM PDT
"Yeah, only 32gb. I probably wont upgrade for another year or so when the cost of RAM comes down. 128 GB of RAM is expensive"

Don't worry about it. The diminishing returns for RAM amounts over 32GB are pretty significant. If you're still running a disc-based hard drive than your huge amount of RAM and great RAM speed are going to be bottlenecked by how fast your PC can extract and write data to the storage medium. Your computer dollars are better spent on a SSD or a faster CPU/GPU.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:19:37 PM PDT
I have 3 480GB SSD drives.

Should I post a spec list of my rig? lol
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions