Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Retrogaming Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 232 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2012 7:31:20 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
So, we've had a bunch of this lately spread out over several different topics. Thought I'd collate everything into one thread, since I know there is a growing number of people who - like me - are going back and appreciating the games of our past, or have even begun collecting.

My collection really took off last Christmas when I finally got a Retron 3, and I've been picking up more and more games and what ever. Just added a bunch of new games and a Sega Saturn to my collection a couple weeks ago. No working games for it yet (bought Wipeout and Galactic Attack, but neither work), and I am in a bidding war over a JVC X'Eye on Ebay right now.

Picked up Final Fantasy III (VI) last week and I've been working through that. Made it to the floating continent last night.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:33:51 AM PDT
Guest the Retron 3 looks awesome...now I want one! If I picked one up, could I throw away my NES/SNES or does it not play the same?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:34:00 AM PDT
Hey - My printer collates too!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:34:10 AM PDT
FOGE says:
How do you like the Retron 3? Im tempted to buy one for some reason. I already have a SNES though so not sure its really worth it. I do have a couple Genesis games lying around but no console for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:35:30 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
So does Wil Wheaton. http://moviecitynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wilwcollate.jpg

MJ: The only game I've had any issues with on my system is the NES version of Paperboy. Otherwise, it's compatible with all the accessories and whatnot for all three systems (Excepting the 32x and Sega CD).

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 7:36:22 AM PDT
new Tron says:
Sweet. Final Fantasy VI is one of my favorite games!

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I went over to my buddy's house this past weekend. He's starting to accumulate quite the collection of retro consoles and games. We played quite a few NES titles, my favorite being Ice Hockey, which is still an excellent 2 player game. Unfortunately the power supply on his 2600 wasn't working so we got shut out from the Atari, but still had a great time with the NES. It's amazing how good the gameplay is on so many of those older games.

The only retro console I still own is my SNES. I have a very decent collection of good games for it though...ActRaiser, Super Mario All Stars (with SMW included), Castlevaina IV, Final Fantasy II (IV), Contra 3, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Street Fighter II, and quite a few more that I can't remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:37:04 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
I love it. It's treated me real well. I'm still thinking about getting all the regular consoles at one point (And like I said earlier, I'm working on getting an X'Eye which is an officially licensed Sega system that was produced in the 90s, and is currently the most stable system for playing Sega CD games). Still, for the time being, it's just fantastic. Being able to play just about any game I want, with the original controller, has been great.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:37:57 AM PDT
Ah man...I love Paperboy for the NES. Oh well, still looks really cool and if it will free up space and plug sockets I'm all for it. Thanks Guest, you rock!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:40:50 AM PDT
FOGE says:
Being able to use the original controllers is a cool feature. I almost bought one about 2 years ago. Im sure at some point I will. I really dont have that many retro games though. If I see some good deals at garage sales or whatever I may snag them and grab the Retron later.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 7:45:28 AM PDT
Kendahl says:
Retro gaming is not something I really understand. People talk about huge backlogs of current generation games...why would you want to go back and play something you've already played many years ago, something that has bad graphics, etc? I'm not knocking it...but I just can't see it. I found Morrowind at a garage sale and thought awesome since I had played Oblivion and loved it and it was so painful trying to play it. I hadn't played any of the Resident Evil games so I picked up 2 (from the PSN) and it was so painful trying to play it. I guess I was spoiled since I essentially started console gaming (played a crapton of computer games through the years) with the PS3, but I have so many awesome games just waiting for me to play that I can't see myself ever revisiting any from a previous generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:47:03 AM PDT
PacinoBully says:
If you don't get it....you just don't get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:49:15 AM PDT
new Tron says:
Lots of gamers love gaming in general, which usually encompasses gaming's history, aka retro gaming. Also, lots of us who were lucky to grow up with these consoles in our homes enjoy revisiting moments from our childhood, just like people enjoy watching movies they enjoyed when they were young.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:49:54 AM PDT
FOGE says:
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is way better than half the games that release today. I love going back and playing games that I grew up with. I rented this game many times from a rental store that doesnt even exist anymore. Nostalgia is why we retro game. That and games were better in someways back then.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:53:54 AM PDT
Original SNES controller? Not too bad.
Original NES controller? An abomination created to punish people who have hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:54:45 AM PDT
FOGE says:
Hahaha. I hate that controller. So awkward.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:57:27 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
I ended up getting paperboy on the Genesis to compensate. It works, but it's just... You know, it's not the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:58:34 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Pretty much. Not sure there is anything I could say to convince you to understand it. Not saying that as a derogatory. It just kind of... is.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:59:09 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
I have the dogbone controller which isn't actually so bad.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 7:59:12 AM PDT
FOGE says:
I bought Street Fighter 2 at a GameeXchange for 3$ a few years back. I cant remember ever finding a better deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 8:02:41 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
The original SF2 is actually pretty crazy cheap. Everyone wants Turbo or the Tournament Edition.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 8:04:39 AM PDT
Kendahl says:
My first system was the Atari 2600 and loved it. Played hundreds of hours...but I would never go hook up a system and play Pitfall or Kaboom or anything else. But I understand nostalgia... Gaming is great whether it's new games or old...I would never knock anyone for wanting to go relive some old memories and replay some all time favorites. So I guess I sort of do "understand" it. It's just not for me...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 8:06:00 AM PDT
FOGE says:
Hm, weird. I like the original just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 8:17:40 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
It was still a solid game, and there's a reason why it launched the franchise behemoth that it did. It's just, people would rather own the updated versions with more characters or tweaked mechanics.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 8:19:25 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Well, and like I said above, I'm not trying to sound derogatory. I don't -entirely- understand it myself. I think a part of it is the monetary issue since so many of these games and systems are cheaper, a part of it is that I simply enjoy collecting, there is definitely a nostalgia component. But, a lot of the games and systems I'm picking up are games/systems I never had when I was a kid. They were things I wanted back then, or things that appeal to me now.

I think maybe there was a different design philosophy at that time (no judgement on whether it was better or worse - just different) that has strongly appealed to me of late.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 8:21:36 AM PDT
Brykume says:
All hail SNES. The retrosystem of kings. The sultan of... ehm... I got nothing. Carry on.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  232
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions