Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Double Fine's "Amnesia Fortnight" public this year

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 2:01:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 3:37:38 PM PST
DVvM says:
http://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine

A little background. During the production of Brütal Legend, the publisher (Vivendi) was purchased by Activision who elected not to publish the game. While shopping around for a new publisher (eventually Electronic Arts) the brain wizards at Double Fine decided to tell everybody to stop working on Brütal Legend for two weeks, split into four groups, and develop a game prototype from scratch to be reviewed by the other three groups. This ended up both being a yearly event at DF, and more or less saved the company as EA elected not to publish a Brütal Legend sequel, and Double Fine ended up getting games like Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, Happy Action Theater, and Middle Manager of Justice out of their Amnesia Fortnight prototypes.

So this year, they've decided to let us in on the process. There are 23 pitches at the link above, if you contribute anything financially you will be able to vote for your favorites and the top four will be prototyped, and you will receive Steam keys (Windows only) for the four prototypes.

I would definitely take part, but sadly this is Windows Only.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:03:21 PM PST
Soulshine says:
This sounds cool and everything, but I need to know - what is Middle Manager of Justice?!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:05:01 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Very cool! I saw mention on the Double Fine Forum of taking it public. I'm glad they decided to, though I'm not yet sure if I'll contribute.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:08:35 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I believe it's an iphone game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:11:23 PM PST
DVvM says:
Yeah, it's an iPhone game that's not officially out yet. (It was accidentally released early, so they called that a Beta.)

It's free to play, so nobody who downloaded it early was out anything.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:15:22 PM PST
UziHorowitz says:
I was a big fan of the games that came out of the last one (Costume Quest, Stacking, Trenched), so I'm gonna pitch in.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:43:04 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Make all 23 of them!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:44:00 PM PST
DVvM says:
If you are willing to contribute enough money, I'm sure that could happen.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:30:57 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Aw, only one of the ones I'd vote for is in the top four. Meh, I'm sure whatever comes of this will be great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:54:31 PM PST
DVvM says:
I really hope that "Bragging and Fighting" can make a late push, since that sounds hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:58:23 PM PST
"Middle Manager of Justice"

How had I never heard of this? It looks like Game Dev Story with superheroes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:05:00 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Turk is probably my favorite underdog here, but at the same time it's not a great fit for Double Fine. I liked the concept, though.

@Nate
From my understanding, that's exactly what it is.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:39:01 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Speaking of Double Fine, my signed copy of Brutal Legend finally shipped yesterday. I am excite. My body is ready.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions