Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wow, they locked a TON of stuff for free players in TOR

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 69 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:26:44 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I think both of those methods would likely work - deleting or alt accounts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:34:28 PM PST
There's going to be a black friday lightning deal for SW:TOR for $5.99. Time to buy four copies!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:20:48 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Just curious DV, is this gonna be your first time playing swtor?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:21:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 1:21:56 PM PST
I don't even have a computer capable of playing it. I've also literally never played an MMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:25:54 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Aww weak, I think you would've liked it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:26:52 PM PST
I bet I will like it, when I get around to playing it. Though I admit I like Bioware much more than Star Wars.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:50:04 PM PST
In TOR, you can play all of your class story quests. There are repeatable Operations and Flashpoints you can do as well. Those aren't personal stories, though. Those are more like bits of the big story of what's going on in the galaxy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:52:06 PM PST
You can delete characters, yes. I just wouldn't want to do that for a character I spent hundreds of hours on.

I believe you can play completely for free. Spending $5 or more, though, gets you Preferred status.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:53:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 1:56:29 PM PST
I'm about to check. Some stuff was exactly the same as when I left (Mako and my minipet were both with me, for example) but they did refund skill points.

Edit: Derp. You can have the two quick bars, but ONLY those two bars. You can't select (originally it went to four you could cycle through, I think) more bars. This means some abilities (quick travel, speeder, certain passives like Sprint) will have to be selected from the abilities screen. Annoying, but at least I have my combat skills the way I want them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:56:53 PM PST
When are you planning on getting a capable PC?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:09:39 PM PST
Fast travel recharge time is now two hours instead of 30 minutes, and there is no fleet travel. Both of these are very annoying.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:19:54 PM PST
Meh, apparently to use any of the "complimentary" Cartel Coins I earned for being a subscriber, I have to RE-SUBSCRIBE. Lame.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 2:20:24 PM PST
That is really lame.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 2:23:57 PM PST
I wholeheartedly agree.

As I said before, locking stuff behind a paywall is how F2P games make money...but GW2 has kind of spoiled me there. I want to be able to buy "money" with in-game currency. As far as I'm concerned, any future F2P game that doesn't adopt the GW2 model (which is itself similar to something EVE Online has been doing for years) deserves to be called out on this.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:52:00 PM PST
Looks like orange gear is subscription-locked, too.

You know, I had high hopes for this F2P version. I am incredibly disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:02:46 PM PST
So it looks like their intent is for the free tier to appeal exclusively to the people who only want to play the game for the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:04:44 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
I think it's only certain orange gear. Purple was supposed to be locked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:17:11 PM PST
I know, but all of my orange gear says "previously unlocked by subscription."

This may be because it's Flashpoint gear? Part of the "full rewards" they mentioned?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:20:59 PM PST
Yeah, and I get that. But some of these are downright obnoxious. No fleet pass (I mean, their selling single use fleet passes), and a HUGE quick travel restriction? And the credit cap? Those are just unnecessarily strict changes.

It pretty much ensures I'll play the game exclusively for the story and will only do side quests when I have to to level up before my next story. Previously, I had been doing every single side quest with the exception of daily-repeatable Heroics and Flashpoints.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:21:34 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Maybe it has mods in it from purple gear?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:25:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 3:26:30 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Well the fleet pass used to only come from the security key vendor, then they gave everybody one with like a 18 hour cool down. The quick travel restriction sucks, I agree, though when I was playing a lot, I rarely had over 100k credits anyways. I dont think thats too huge of a deal really, especially for characters under 50.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:25:55 PM PST
Well, for one thing it's not smart to make the free-to-play appeal only to the sorts of people who aren't into the whole MMO thing to begin with. You want to make the free tier be a gateway to get people to try the MMO stuff and get hooked on the non-story aspects so they start giving you money. You don't want to make all that stuff annoying and hard to do without paying money, since that will lead to people just not doing it at all.

What's a fleet pass, by the way?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:28:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 3:29:50 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Well they do let you do a certain number of warzones and flashpoints per week for free, you just don't get all the loot for them. You really only NEED that gear for operations and high level world bosses anyways

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:43:17 PM PST
cab0218 says:
This all sounds really dumb.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:48:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 3:51:19 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Honestly, I don't see how this is a bad deal. It's basically the whole game for free. You can't wear certain armor and you dont get certain arguably unnecessary conveniences, but you get the entire story, dozens and dozens of hours and game play for nothing. Just playing the class quest of one class is a longer story than me3,
and you get it for nothing
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions