THQ Humble Bundle is up; pay what you want for THQ games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 133 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:54:10 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Are THQ games even Linux compatible?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:56:04 AM PST
Iso says:
Oi... And I thought $10 was a good price for Saint's Row 3...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:04:45 AM PST
No. I think what he was talkking about is that a lot of games in these bundles in the past were windows only before the bundle but with the help of the Humble Bundle crew they ported the game to both Linux and Mac.

I think this is the first time a bundle is only for a single OS.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:04:54 AM PST
Considering their seeming concern for universality at first, I think it's safe to say that they never even would have done a bundle like this in the past; not to mention that they included Vessel as one of the primary games of the sixth humble bundle, saying it would be ported to Mac and Linux within a few days, and it _still_ hasn't been.

I'm not saying they're history's greatest villains, but they clearly aren't making their original principle of bringing these bundles to everybody a priority anymore. It was good while it lasted.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:05:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:05:40 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I went ahead with it. Have most of the games in the main bundle, so I'll give that key to a friend. I'm in it for a cheap Saints Row: The Third.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:07:41 PM PST
Now if we can get a repeat of that SR3 season pass for $5. Maybe next month.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:10:10 PM PST
Anthony says:
THQ is getting more and more desperate.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:38:28 PM PST
Got. Now, I'm really curious what they will add to it in a week's time that I'm going to be getting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:43:39 PM PST
I would wait for the next bundle or two before deciding if the HB folk are abandoning multiple platforms. After all, the last bundle was Android, PC, Mac and...Linux?

I honestly think this bundle happened because THQ is desperate for cash and had to get creative. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who got in touch with Humble Bundle and of course the HB people would be thrilled to do a bundle for a mainstream publisher. THQ was probably more interested in picking up a few bucks from existing code rather than try to adapt their games to other platforms.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:46:00 PM PST
This may be the most literal fire sale in VGF history. I am honestly trying to think of the last time I saw a mainstream publisher throw out recent games for so cheap. Even when the Saturn and 32X tanked the games were still selling at $5-10 a piece. I've heard that the 32X games went as low as $2 but I never saw that deal for myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:46:16 PM PST
Don't care, I got Saints Row 3 and Metro. Since I've looked at both of them in the past, I call it a win.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:48:24 PM PST
How long are Steam keys good for? I'm thinking of buying a couple of $1 bundles and just let the keys sit there and use them for trading fodder.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:50:57 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm guessing they're going to toss Warhammer on there in a few days. I'm not sure what else they can throw out there. It's not like they can put Darksiders 2 out there yet. That would just completely devalue the franchise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:52:36 PM PST
Are the first two Saints Row games on PC? Maybe one of those? Warhammer is a good guess too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:54:53 PM PST
Anthony says:
I don't think they expire. then again, i don't use steam much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:58:24 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
With them already giving SR3 for those that go over the max, handing out SR 1 or 2 would seem like a waste because SR3 is really great. I thought 2 was great, don't get me wrong, then I played 3; I doubt I would ever go back to 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:01:56 PM PST
They could also add S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Homefront or Red Faction: Guerilla. (I have those from the $10 THQ bundle as well so hopefully they'd be separate keys.)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:22:06 PM PST
I think one of the top contributors is trying to send a message to THQ:

Name: LET RELIC FINISH DoW3

Amount: $133.37

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:26:26 PM PST
Can you give to charity? I don't consider helping a company to be a charity... :-)

Love that SR3 price. And the CoH games are excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:27:38 PM PST
Some people are giving all to charity because they are ticked off at THQ and Humble Bundle for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:28:47 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's going to suck if this was THQ's brilliant idea to get a surge of cash that they desperately need, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:30:15 PM PST
Anthony says:
if i had to guess, i'd say they are pissed at THQ for the gross mismanagement of the company. and Humble Bundle because THQ is so main-stream.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:53:26 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
The Humble THQ Bundle loses indie games, adds DRM, and is a step backward for the bundle model

BEN KUCHERA / THU, NOV 29, 2012Share On RedditShare On FacebookShare On TwitterBUSINESSINDIEPEOPLE
Disclosure: Child's Play is one of the charities that benefit from the Humble Bundles. Penny Arcade content has appeared in previous Humble Bundles.

Past Humble Bundles have done gamers a great service. Each bundle contained a variety of high-quality games by independent studios, offered without DRM, that worked on Windows, OSX, and even Linux in most cases. You chose how much you paid for the bundle, and you also selected where that money went. Did you want to support charity? Or the developers? Or both?

The Humble Bundle system was a wonderful engine for making smaller games visible, and introducing them to a wider audience in a way that was both innovative and lacked hassle for the buyers. The team stretched out into offering a bundle of Android games, and even books.

The latest bundle, unfortunately, gets rid of everything that made people love Humble Bundles, and may be damaging to the brand.

Where are the indies?

Instead of a selection of indie games, the Humble THQ Bundle includes a selection of games from THQ's back catalog. You can pay what you want, as long as it's over a dollar, the games are Windows-only, and you have to play them through Steam. Indies have been replaced by a single big-name studio, DRM is back, and the variety of platforms supported has been shrunk. This isn't a Humble Bundle, it's a Steam sale.

At least the soundtracks offered with the games are DRM free.

"One thing I'd like to point out is that this is not a perpetual policy shift that will obstruct our efforts to construct other types of bundles but is rather a brand new experiment of its own," Humble Bundle's John Graham told the Penny Arcade Report. "2012 has been a year of many promotions for us that fall outside the original Humble Indie Bundle framework and we are excited to be able offer a critically acclaimed line up like this in a `pay what you want plus charity' promotion."

The lack of DRM-free options here is another big deal. "The move away from DRM-free multiplatform distribution might be even more damaging to the Humble Bundle's brand," Ars Technica's Kyle Orland wrote. "Back when the first Humble Bundle launched, co-founder Jeffrey Rosen was very open about tolerating piracy rates of up to 25 percent in order to ensure the bundle would be DRM-free. With pay-what-you-want prices as little as 1˘, Rosen said he realized that most pirates were probably just getting around region-locked payment processors or pirating out of sheer laziness."

The reasons people love the Humble Bundles have mostly been removed in order to sell big-name titles from THQ. The deal itself isn't bad, these are wonderful titles for a good price, and the support for charity is a good thing, but this is a move in the wrong direction. None of the things that make a Humble Bundle great are present. Instead we're presented with what amounts to a Steam sale.

This bundle also won't benefit the people who create the games, as previous Humble Indie Bundles have done. "Most of the people who sweated blood and tears into the games offered in this bundle no longer have jobs at THQ. That's right, they were laid off some time ago," the We Get Signal dev blog stated. "So the THQ slider on the Humble Bundle is essentially you deciding how much the publisher gets for simply hanging in there at the expense of all their former employees. Bravo."

I'm going to be a hypocrite and buy a bundle, just because these are incredible games at a staggeringly low price, but wouldn't it have been something if they were offered without DRM? Or if they ran on Linux? Or if the space was used to promote games that hadn't already sold millions of copies? This isn't a bad deal, but it's certainly a step away from what made Humble Bundle so unique. If this is the sort of thing we can expect to see in the future, the Humble name could quickly become just another cut-rate digital retailer pushing catalog titles. Humble Bundles should be something special, and worth getting excited about. This could be the death rattle of a publisher who has already laid off much of its staff. While past bundles may have allowed developers to fund their next projects, this money won't likely make a difference for THQ one way or the other. It's a wasted opportunity.

So why offer this bundle? "We're hopefully going to raise a huge amount of money for charity and expose a ton of new customers to the Humble Bundle model. We are debuting more games for Mac and Linux (and Android-and even had an eBook digital debut this year!) and this will just help us continue to do so," Graham said. "We are humbly hopeful that our customers will see this as a good thing instead of a permanent departure from what we have done and will continue to do."

Let's hope the bundle's values make a return soon after this unfortunate misstep.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-humble-thq-bundle-loses-indie-games-adds-drm-and-is-a-step-backward-for

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:56:26 PM PST
Ha, I just posted the Ars article on the same topic.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:00:53 PM PST
THQ totally just stole the humble bundle's fake Ray Ban glasses and skinny jeans.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  133
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions