Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: R.I.P. Twinkies and Wonder Bread - Hostess closes its doors, lays off 18,500 employees

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 186 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:37:57 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
All because of a smaller amount within the overall company that held out thinking that Hostess was bluffing. GG, guys, gg. Way to eff over the rest of the company. Now you're on strike indefinitely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:39:21 AM PST
Pretty craptacular situation right there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:40:58 AM PST
Iso says:
Hostess tended to be either worse quality, same price or same quality, higher price.

That is not a recession winning recipe.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:42:48 AM PST
Ed Jones says:
Unable to cope with my loss of Twinkies, I will now go to my backup comfort food, crack cocaine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:44:12 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
At least we won't have to help Tallahassee find a Twinkie during a zombie apocalypse.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:44:41 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I think you're right.

Little Debbie makes better junk food. And Sara Lee whole-grain white is better than Wonderbread.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:45:56 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
I was addicted to those cinamon crumb cake things but I got over it luckily.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:49:53 AM PST
Funny how people will not accept 80% of something and keeping their jobs and now they are left with 100% of nothing.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:51:14 AM PST
Twinkies??? Just distant memories for me.....of my "Old Witch" always wanting a bite of my Twinkie (when i had one)....and then eating the whole darn thing before my very eyes*!!!....*sad face*

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:51:40 AM PST
R. Garrelts says:
Such a shame. Hostess is an iconic American bakery. The bakers union literally killed the hand that fed them.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:52:07 AM PST
jtshiel says:
I can only image what L's coworker would do if Chef Boyarde went out of business.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:52:54 AM PST
Hope it was worth it and I'll never understand the stupidity behind this decision to strike and then continuing striking as the company goes under. So no pay is better than some pay? I hope each and every one of these geniuses has to get up today and explain to their families how it is their fault the company went under and now they don't have a job at all.

Company: We can't afford to pay you guys and stay open so we're reworking pay so you guys continue to get paid and our doors stay open.
Employees: WE WANT MORE MONEY! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!
Company: Okay... We don't have enough to pay you what you want and stay open so please come back to work otherwise we have to close EVERYTHING on Friday FOR GOOD.
Employees: LIARS! WE WANT MORE! GIVE US MORE!
Company: *Closes down because they can't afford to stay open*
Employees: THOSE MONSTERS SCREWED US!!!

I would say good luck getting another job but the entitled masses would probably just ruin that too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:53:13 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
He'd start making his own ravioli. Coworkers are a great source of protein.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:54:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The worst part is that these greedy morons will make all unions look bad even though the Teamsters Union worked with Hostess to get back to work. Republicans are going to use this as a springboard to do what they did in Wisconsin where they got rid of the public workers union.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:54:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:55:12 AM PST
Twinkies are so gross.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:55:46 AM PST
M. McFly says:
I hate unions but I would blame leadership as much as the unions. Regardless they are divesting assets so someone will buy the brands and keep making them. Not everything will survive but somethings will go on

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:01 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:56 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:27 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:56 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:46 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Just to play devil's advocate here - the union's position was that they conceded to management at the last contract negotiation years ago, agreeing to take pay cuts. They refused to do that twice in a row, claiming mismanagement of the company was to blame. I don't know which side is right (both were probably different shades of wrong), but I can understand the union's unwillingness to take another round of pay cuts and the assumption that management will drag the company down eventually anyway.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:58:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:03:48 AM PST
G-Money says:
Unions have their place in society and are still needed. With that being said, some unions over estimate their leverage and will cut off their nose off to spite their face. This was a horrible decision by the union and its members and they got what they deserved. They should have negotiated while working, the company was already in bankruptcy so everyone knew it was in trouble. They were negotiating with their creditors in the bankruptcy court so that they can get some room to continue to operate and these fools strike in the middle of this, with constant warnings fromthe company that they cannot handle the strike and will be forced to shut down. There are so many people still struggling to find jobs and these fools can't work for 85% of their salary while continuing to negotiate. Now the are unemployed. Well played.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:59:11 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Difference there is that the unions in Wisconsin agreed to pay more and just wanted to keep bargaining rights. They agreed to all financial aspects and still got destroyed. Walker was not going to settle for anything other than disbanding the union and it had nothing to do with the budget. That's why they separated it from the budget bill in order to pass the law without Democrats being there.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:59:48 AM PST
EggNogJam says:
This was all a plan by Big Crops to bring down the Junk Food Machine from the inside. Obviously.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:00:00 AM PST
I agree with this. It's both the unions and the leadership that are at fault. In addition, this isn't the last we'll see of the Twinkie, it's so iconic, I don't doubt it'll be bought right away and continue to be made by some other company.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:00:43 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Other companies already make knockoffs.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:01:28 AM PST
Marc S says:
I'm willing to bet machines do 90% of the actual work to make these products, what the hell do they need bakers for?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  186
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions