Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Demon's Souls -- Phantoms, where art thou...?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:08:49 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Yeah that's what I thought Dustin. I kinda figured that to beat the hoplites I have to attack them from the back (I didn't realize it was a shield at first =P). turpentine just made it a bit easier. I didn't have firebombs anyway. But that's fine. I just wanted to know about the whole nexus thing. Otherwise I would have taken a wrong move and gone to the nexus or wherever where I shouldn't have.
Just tell me, are there any other important items I might have missed out on for which I should go about the palace again? Or am I better off finding it myself?

P.S: I didn't read your strategy but thanks. Once you said firebombs aren't necessary, I was ok. It felt so good going on a good run without dying yesterday.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:09:34 AM PDT
new Tron says:
The healing herbs are plentiful in Boletarian palace, so you shouldn't have a hard time accumulating more of those just by running through heavily populated areas and getting some kills. You'll get some souls that way too. If you want, since you can't level up yet, you can use the souls you get to pick up a few turpentines, as they do make the battle with phalanx much easier, as you've obviously figured out. Firebombs are not necessary...nice to have, but far from necessary to beat phalanx.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:15:11 AM PDT
new Tron says:
Actually, I don't remember if there's any vendor at that point who sells turpentine....

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:16:28 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
If you really want that stuff just do a few run throughs of the level, you should have mastered it by now and you'll get some turpentine and fire bombs as drops, along with plenty of healing herbs and souls.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:26:02 AM PDT
new Tron says:
I'm at soul level 29 and finally decided to go back and kill that red eyed knight in world 1-1 and got that flame shield. I wish this item had been easier to get earlier in the game, as it would have greatly helped in world 2! Especially against that friggin' Flamelurker.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:26:50 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
the Flame Shield isn't by the Red Eyes Knight.

you can get the Flame Shield at sl 1 if you know where it is.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:30:02 AM PDT
new Tron says:
It was attached to a dead body that was being guarded by the red eye knight when I played. I did see there was a locked door behind it, but I had never opened it.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:31:29 AM PDT
If I can get the PS3 rolling again, I'll give this another try.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:32:55 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
In my game the purple flame shield was where the two dragons hang out in 1-1...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:33:39 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Yeah I don't think I saw any vendor on my path. I took the staircase guarded by the first blue eyes knight. Then I released the boulders to kill all those dreglings. I completely avoided both the battles with the two dragons. Just passed the bridge guarded by the guards and the red dragon into the area where the lever opening the door to the phalanx was open.

@ strider
Surprisingly, I died quite a few times and played the part a lotta times but I rarely got fireboms or turpentine. I am pretty ok with the grass I have right now I guess. I'll try and fight the phalanx as well as I can now. I am still pretty clueless in the area of upgrading my weapons though. I can't seem to understand the stats properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:37:44 AM PDT
new Tron says:
See, I got a ring there. Don't remember which ring, but some ring in that field with all the dead bodies by the dragons. I wonder if item locations shift around based on tendency?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:39:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2010 8:40:26 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Tron - There are two rings there, as well as the Flame Shield, I don't know if they switch, but I really don't think so.

If you want to know where some other good items are in 1-1 Prankster.....
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
On the bridge you crossed with the Red Dragon, there was another hallway you could go down before going onto the bridge which leads to where both dragons are. If you wait until the Red Dragon leaves to attack the bridge, you can sprint there and pick up a bunch of items, including the flame shield, 2 really nice/important rings, and a bunch of souls, you just have to be fast or the red dragon will come back and fry you, but if you die after picking up the items you'll still have them and just have to pick up your souls. Also at white world tendency the dragons arent even there.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:41:53 AM PDT
T. Ferg says:
Ok I have a question, I have only fooled around on 1-1 on a buddys game, but I am about to start my own this weekend. If I play 1-1 for a lil just to get the lay of the level (first time I played I died at the dragon on the bridge who shoots the fire out) can I play for awhile, collect souls and quit without dying and itll save my progress. So like next time I play I know I will have to restart the level, but Ill have the souls and whatnot.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 8:42:12 AM PDT
new Tron says:
@ Prankster - don't forget switching your weapon to two hands gives your attack alot more strength. Also, when you go to upgrade your weapons, the stats for the item you want to upgrade to are listed in the screen where you do the upgrade. For example, if you have a Rapier +1 and are thinking about upgrading to a Rapier +2, the stats for both are listed right there. The instruction manual will detail what each symbol represents, but I know they're for attack strength, durability, equip burdern, and something else.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:44:45 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Thanks. I did see some stuff lying around and shining there when I went to explore that area. I just touched another's player bloodstain and saw him dying by just rolling off so I thought that it was a restricted area and went back =P
I'll go and try that area again then.

Also, what is the white world tendency and black world tendency and how do players invade other's worlds? Just asking so that I am not caught offguard by someone, if that can happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:46:28 AM PDT
new Tron says:
@T.Ferg - if you quit in the middle of the level, when you restart, you'll be right back at the same point in the level that you were when you quit. You won't need to start from the beginning again. And you'll have all your souls and items.

It seems people didn't realize this because I saw alot of negative reviews saying there's no saving in this game. The game always saves. I think they were getting saves and checkpoints mixed up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:47:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:11:29 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:54:43 AM PDT
Lol that's exactly why I'm wearing the dark silver armor because it looks sweet. I also like the king doran armor too though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:57:54 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Oh man, I had absolutely no idea about this.

Let me just restate what you said. If I just quit the game while I am alive in the middle of a level, I will be back at the exact same point when I start up the game again. Right?

I kept playing yesterday even though I wanted to stop cuz I felt I would be back at the start after such a hard struggle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:59:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2010 9:00:07 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
World Tendency affects your health/enemies drop rate etc.

At White World Tendency you have more HP in soul form and enemies are easier, but the drop rate on items is worse.

In Black World Tendency you hp in soul form is decreased and enemies are stronger, but they have a better chance to drop items.

There are also tons of events in the game that can only be triggered at either pure white or pure black WT.

World Tendency is changed by killing bosses/black phantoms(towards white) or killing npcs/dying in body form(towards black)

Any player within like 10 levels +/- can invade your game, but only if they are in soul form and you are in Body form, as long as you are in soul form, nobody can invade your game.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 9:01:17 AM PDT
new Tron says:
Whenever you see the blinking blue light in the top right corner of the screen, its saving. At that point, you can quit the game, and when you re load your save file, you'll be at the EXACT same spot with all your items and souls. You can trigger that blue light just by simply going into your inventory screen and then exiting.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 9:01:51 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Ok. That's informative. I guess that's enough knowledge for today. Thanks again guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 9:03:08 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Ahhh ok ok. I saw that blue light for the first time yesterday. I thought it was to indicate a boss or someone. This was something really important I learned today haha. Thanks tron.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 9:06:37 AM PDT
T. Ferg says:
Sweet, thanks a lot. That really helps cause I want to dig into this game but dont have a lot of time during the week. Now that I know I can quit and itll save thats gonna help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 10:19:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:11:29 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2067
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions