Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Official Guild Wars 2 VGF Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 678 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 9, 2012 8:16:37 AM PDT
Just got 100% in Bloodtide Coast, and managed to get to the Claw of Jormag fight when it was about halfway through. That fight is amazing. It's hard as hell, too, but it looks incredible and the stuff going on in the environment around it is really cool.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 8:20:51 AM PDT
I've got to get back into GW2. Stupid month of incredible games! Now I have Dishonored and X-COM to add to the "must play" list.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 8:21:38 AM PDT
I'm betting as soon as I get to these dragon fights my computer's finally gonna say "eff this" and just power off for good lol. It can have framerate issues at relatively low settings and it's kinda annoying. Oh well.

Level 59 and at 43% map completion. I've done all 3 dungeons so far, TA was pretty darn annoying I must admit, even though we knew we needed to kite, we still wiped a few times (exploding spiders... egh). Anyways, loved my first instanced dragon fight as well, can't wait to see more. :)

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 10:05:13 AM PDT
SMH says:
As someone who knows little about MMORPGs, can someone explain to me how a game like GW2 will thrive without a monthly subscription fee? I assume there are ongoing costs associated with maintaining servers, developing new content, etc...so once people stop buying the game, who pays for all of that?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:05:48 AM PDT
Microtransactions for cosmetic and convenience items.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:09:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 10:13:08 AM PDT
Which can also be found rarely throughout the game to give players a sampling of them.

With the exception of Minis, I don't think you can buy minis any other way (unless they do something similar to GW1 where you get "birthday presents" each year).

I threw $20 down when it launched and bought some random things. The costumes are pretty cool and usually have their own emotes and such.

Not to mention they're planning several full blown expansions. There are quite a few areas of the map that are blocked off to prepare for these.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:09:39 AM PDT
SMH says:
Ok, that's kind of what I thought...but I've always wondered how many people actually pay for things like that. How much is a typical item? A buck or two?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:12:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 10:13:41 AM PDT
I think $10 = 800 gems. An extra bag slot is 400 while an extra bank slot is 600. You get more than enough inventory though. If I'm getting full its because I'm hoarding crappy items.

You can also purchase gems using in-game gold through the trading post. The more gems that are bought, the less the gold cost for all players and vice versa. This keeps the economy in a range specified by the devs.

You can buy stuff like sunglasses for around 100-125, or a full suit of cosmetic gear for 400-500 or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:15:44 AM PDT
Some do, yeah. As Capt said, the game will also have expansions like GW1 did. The thing that works about the business model is that people (a small percentage of them, but usually enough) will pay real money for the things they want in the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:16:23 AM PDT
I have only spent on in game gold on gems and I've gotten several thousand by now.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 12:20:00 PM PDT
I'll just add it's mostly a time vs. money thing. If you want to spend the time to get the gold necessary to purchase these items (all either cosmetic or convenience-based), then go ahead. If you'd rather spend the money to get the items right away, you can as well.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 9:07:43 AM PDT
Anyone else think the monthly achievement ??? has to do with Halloween?

Considering GW1 always has a big Halloween celebration, giveaways, unique gear, etc, I have a feeling this is tied to it.

Also, if they got rid of the 100k experience without dying in a month portion of the achievement I'll be ecstatic. I climb around too much and fall off high things to complete that one!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 2:25:36 PM PDT
God, I hope they have the holiday events!

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 2:40:27 PM PDT
User says:
just picked this up and will be paying through it after dishonored this weekend. damn you capt and your screenshots!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 3:42:58 PM PDT
Welcome to the Family.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:41:20 AM PDT
Hah! I can't help it. The game is just beautiful.

Let us know when you get your character set up and we'll send you an invite.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:23:57 AM PDT
User says:
Will do. It'll probably be Sunday (assuming I can get enough time in on Dishonored before then).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:25:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 10:25:58 AM PDT
The server that we're on (stormbluff isle) is almost always full. If you get a chance, make sure you sign in at some odd hour during the day / night and at least join the server when it's listed at "high".

You can only choose one server, and you won't get the guild buffs if you aren't on our home one.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 7:34:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 7:34:52 PM PDT
So my wife and I just started reading Edge of Destiny, which is about the adventuring group that took on the dragons before the game starts. It's pretty good so far.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 7:57:29 PM PDT
J. Lee says:
I need to get back in lol nate you know you miss my daily food shipment into the guild bank hahaha

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 4:08:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 4:09:55 AM PDT
That's what its about?

Now I might have to grab it....

Is that after Ghosts of Ascalon? I haven't read that one yet. Maybe I'll grab those.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 4:32:28 AM PDT
Yep! I can make some great recipes now!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 4:44:51 AM PDT
My brother read both. He said that Ghosts of Ascalon is chronologically before Edge of Destiny, but they are standalone stories. Edge of Destiny is a quick read, it moves at a fast pace. The cool thing is that all of the characters are the ones who are your mentors for your characters in the game.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 10:32:53 AM PDT
Ray Obrien says:
Ive been working mad OT but I'm gonna try to get an invite to guild today..let me know a sure time otherwise I'll try the characters at the start of the thread

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 10:35:03 AM PDT
If you want, post your character name and I'll put it in the OP. There's usually at least a few people playing that read this.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  678
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions