Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Monster Hunter Freed Unite.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 7:52:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:18:02 PM PST
Hops says:
Greetings fellow VGFers.
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I haven't played any of the Monster Hunters before.
I only hear praise for this series. I always planned on getting this one on the PSP, but never got around to it.
I bought a Vita last week, and I heard this version was much better with the second analog stick. Well, since there aren't any plans on making a new one for the Vita, Should I get this one ?
Is it as good as everyone says it is ?
I want to hear the VGF's opinion.
Thank you.

EDIT: Topic title fail. That should've been freedom.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:17:19 PM PST
I liked it, but it takes a good while to get used to the combat. It's almost sluggish and overly complicated controls compared to other, seemingly similar games. But, if you stick with it, there is a lot of fun to be had.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:20:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 10:22:17 PM PST
It's an excellent game with significant problems. If you can get past or accept the problems it's great fun, even solo if you have the temperament for it.

Definitely get it, though, unless you can think of an obvious reason that would prevent you from enjoying it. I've seen it for around $10 new, which is cheap enough not to beat yourself up about if you wind up disliking it, and is in the single digits of pennies per hour of entertainment you'll get if you do like it. It has more content than any other Monster Hunter game, which are all very content heavy to begin with.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:28:37 PM PST
Bulbachutwo says:
Can you even play this game on the Vita? If so, why haven't I been informed of this?!

I put a good amount of time into it on my PSP a few years ago. It really is good, if you're into the type of gaming experience it provides. It is hard, it can be cumbersome and obtuse sometimes, it can be difficult to really understand if you should progress, grind, or if you're even hurting the enemies. But, once you get used to it, it's awesome. You'll learn to pick up on the little clues and hints, whether what you are doing is effective or not.

It's a great game with a lot of content, you just have to be ready and willing to play it.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:49:54 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I love it, but I've also had it since it came out on the PSP due to my love of the series. Definitely worth a play

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:45:20 AM PST
"I've seen it for around $10 new"

He has a Vita. He needs the PSP digital version.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:45:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 4:46:23 AM PST
Yes you can play it on the Vita. It looks great, too. And you don't need to use "The Claw". Winning all around!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:55:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 4:55:49 AM PST
MHFU is my absolute favorite game to play on a Sony handheld. There's easily 100-500 hours worth of content and it can be played online if you have a PS3 available to act as a wifi hotspot for your Vita.

I have several hundred hours in the game and love it. If you enjoy it make sure you look into Soul Sacrifice coming next year. There's a demo you can play on PSN, but to be honest it's not very indicative of the final game. There's a farm you can take care of, harvest, and upgrade; a kitchen you can stock with cooks and use for single mission food buffs; multiple single and multiplayer missions; and companions that you can upgrade and trade.

With the second analog stick on the Vita the camera issues are non-existent. Highly recommended game!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:21:32 AM PST
I too have put hundreds of hours into MHFU, and then even mroe when I got a Vita. That second analog stick is... it's a game changer. What other's have said are correct, it is NOT a game you pick up instantly. You have to get used to it. When I first played it 4 or so years ago when it came out I hated it. I rented it from Gamefly and returned it within a day... There was three reasons I didn't like it.

1. I couldn't seem to kill anything
2. The camera controls made my paw hurt
3. Difficult to get used to what was going on

Well Then a year or so later I tried again with MH3... I learned what my problems were. I was taking quests meant for multiplayer... and trying to do them alone. A word of advice... the solo quest giver is the woman standing beside the fire outSIDE of the Hunter's Hall... not inside it. The ones inside the hall are the multiplayer quests.The Vita fixes the camera problem, and for the third one... well It just takes a while to get used to. Once you find a weapon you like stick with it, learn it, master it and it gets much better. Sadly for me my weapon of choice wasn't available in MHFU (Switch Axe). So I got used to the Dual blades first, then the Great Sword.

Iiiii could go on for hours about how much I now love the series and cannot wait until MF3U comes out. If you can get MHFU for 10$... it's the best 10$ you will EEEVER spend if you like the game. If you don't... well it was only 10$!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:24:39 AM PST
It drops to 9.99 during sales sometimes on PSN, which would be a great time for you to buy it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:28:38 AM PST
I'de pay 40$ for it. hell i'll pay 100$ for a it! I felt like I was stealing it for 10$

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:31:46 AM PST
Hops says:
Wow. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll buy it tomorrow as soon as I get home.
I was inclined to get it on Friday when I got growlancer, but I was on the fence for some reason. Now I can't wait to get it lol.
Thanks again for the recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:52:34 AM PST
That's true.

Probably a mistake, but true.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:52:58 AM PST
You don't need the claw on the PSP, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:55:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 10:56:41 AM PST
Depends how you play. I try to keep the camera on the boss regardless of how I'm moving on the map, so I got pretty used to the claw.

Especially for fights where the monster can run clear across the map and and attack you in seconds or with ranged attacks. Fatalis were a huge pain in the butt.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:04:48 AM PST
I do, too, but I just use the camera center button. It's pretty easy to keep track of roughly where the boss is even if it gets out of your camera view, and then just turning and centering is nearly instantaneous.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:10:26 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Thats how I did it. That's how AMERICA DOES IT. And it's worked pretty well so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:46:18 AM PST
Ooooh yes you do if your gunna be hunting some serious monsters! When the Rathalos takes to the sky I need to follow his every move. I also need to follow every move of the Tigrex and a few others.

"Thats how I did it. That's how AMERICA DOES IT. And it's worked pretty well so far. "

Thank you tony Stark. But Japan does it to!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:57:06 AM PST
Boss movement patterns are really straightforward, though. There hasn't been a single time I've needed to control the camera precisely where I haven't had more than enough luxury to stand still for the duration, and I'd much rather take my hand off movement than attack, recovery, or roll.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:32:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 12:33:47 PM PST
Does the 2nd analog stick actually work in the game (for the camera)? If so, that would mean a second purchase via PSN for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:38:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 12:39:38 PM PST
The second analog stick on the Vita can be bound to either D-pad, left stick, or face buttons.

Just hold down the screen when you're in a PSP game to access the various picture options and right stick binding. You can change the graphics up a bit and I like the look with the filters on. Bilinear Filtering smooths the games out a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:01:45 PM PST
Hence the advent of the Claw

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:20:03 PM PST
Yeah, but for many games it doesn't actually work for controlling the camera...that only works if the original game has camera controls (that could be mapped to some other means).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:32:37 PM PST
How many times do I have to reiterate the fact that I have had no reason to use "the claw"? It's totally unnecessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:52:50 PM PST
True, but some games also have key rebinds. Armored Core on PSP had a nice rebind option so you could set the right thumbstick to control the camera.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions