Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Best Console JRPGs this Gen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 2:25:41 PM PST
DVvM says:
I just realized I hadn't played a console JRPG in some time, and I figured maybe I should give one a shot. I used to be a big fan of the genre, but my interest waned with the PC-ification of the 7th generation of consoles.

So to someone who owns a 360 and a Wii, what would you recommend? I know Xenoblade is up there, but anything else?

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 2:42:04 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Best JRPGs are on handhelds IMO. Pretty sad considering how great the genre used to be on home consoles. Dark Souls would be my vote, but its more of an action RPG than a JRPG. I was hoping for Dragon Quest X but it seems to be more of a MMORPG.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 2:58:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 3:03:33 PM PST
Chaos Index says:
It's not on the 360 or Wii, but I can say as a fact that Valkyria Chronicles(PS3) gets my vote. Great characters, story, and battles makes it the best JRPG of this gen. A runner up would be Resonance of Fate. It had a crappy story but I really enjoyed the quirky characters and innovative new battle system. And oh, another good one is Tales of Vesperia (has one of the most badass MC in a JRPG ever)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:03:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 3:04:39 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces F, The Last Remnant, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 and Nier are all worth playing imo.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:13:52 PM PST
Technosapien says:
Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta 2, Nier, FFXIII, FFXIII-2.

If you had a PS3, you'd have much more JRPGs to choose from. I just started Ar Tonelico Qoga, and it's really good, so far.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:15:36 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:23:49 PM PST
Benpachi says:
Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are both excellent. I would also recommend Arc Rise Fantasia for Wii, it's very old school and has a beautiful soundtrack; The voice acting is unbearable, but you can turn it off.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:37:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 3:38:29 PM PST
neu Tron says:
The Last Story is excellent. More of an action RPG than a traditional JRPG. Has a really great story and characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:37:50 PM PST
DVvM says:
What's Tales of Vesperia like? Apparently they've been making "Tales" games for a decade, I've just never played one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:38:48 PM PST
Yeah, well.. your stupid...

so there!

Man, that sucked. Think Matt, think.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:59:27 PM PST
Zero says:
Each Tales game has a different story to them. To tell the truth, I am still playing through Tales of Vesperia, but it is pretty fun so far. The gameplay is real time, and it plays somewhat like a fighting game when you encounter an enemy. From what I have played so far, You have basic attacks and artes. You learn artes throughout the game and can equip whichever ones you like, but stronger ones will take up more TP.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:21:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 4:27:03 PM PST
Yeah they all have generally the same theme, usually a save the world kind of scenario and tons of made up names like the ones they use for their titles (What the heck is a symphonia, vesperia or legendia?). Usually the same names for the spells/magic like 'artes' or 'eres', and 'gald' instead of gold.

Usually steeped with anime-esque type humor. The games also have funny aspects like these things called 'Titles' which each character will get depending on what they're acting like in a certain scene. Like say a character is acting rude in a certain scene where all the characters are talking at the end of the scene the character will get a title like 'grumpy old man' or something similar and maybe it will somehow effect their status attributes.

Another big characteristic that separates the Tales series is how they have 'skits'. Where a popup will come on the screen and you press say select and the character(s) will go into dialogue about something that just happened or anything really. The Tales games are really rich in this department. The characters are usually pretty well done and usually have more character and dimension than you see in most JRPGs. The games almost always have a ton of character interaction/dialogue. You won't really find a silent protagonist in the Tales series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:30:09 PM PST
If you also have a PS2, Persona 3 FES.

It's the best JRPG that's come out since the beginning of the 7th generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:31:23 PM PST
DVvM says:
I have a PS2 with a broken controller port so the input from the controller doesn't register reliably. Is that going to be a problem?

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:35:28 PM PST
Kindler says:
you don't even need to have a ps2 to play Persona 3 FES, it's on the playstation network as well (if Atlus is still having their sale it should be 5.99, normaly it's like 9.99) if you have a ps3 :)

One of my favorite games.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:11:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 6:35:38 PM PST
Wii:
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower (play w/ Tinyload, Amazon.co.uk has the Special Edition for $30ish)
Xenoblade Chronicles

360:
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Tales of Vesperia

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 5:52:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 5:53:53 PM PST
He doesn't, though. I'm pretty sure he would have listed it with his Wii and 360 if he had.

@DVvM
If you don't mind getting ambushed when the controller stops registering at an inopportune time, probably not too much, aside from the annoyance the lack of reliability might cause. There's no real-time gameplay aspects aside from determining whether you get a preemptive attack, the enemy does, or if you both go at the same time.

Assuming you mean the first port and only the first port, I'm not sure if a controller in the second port would register. Never tried it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions