Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

More Durango ( Xbox720 ) news found in the xDK (Developers Kit)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 102 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2013 7:25:29 AM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
Sumary from NeoGaf:

- Always on, Always connected
- Low powered mode
- Kinect sold with every console, wider FOV, no motors, better tracking
- Kinect is required to be plugged in
- Low latency controller with "improved ergonomics", simplified interaction with console OS
- Bluray drive
- All games must be installed on HDD [you can start playing few secs after installation starts], game data streaming from optical disc not supported
- Only digital audio out

ACtual language from xDK
<>
The Durango console is designed to offer game developers modern hardware that is more powerful than the Xbox 360. It uses a familiar x64 architecture and tools, and compared with Xbox 360 development time and effort spent on perfomance optimization. Hardware accelerators, including "move engines" for common tasks, will be added to the console. Move engines can perform common game tasks like compression and decompression while moving data around the system. The console also has dedicated hardware support form common audio processing tasks that reduce the amount of CPU time that must be devoted to audio. The GPU provides considerable computing power, and supports Direct3D 11.

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.

Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be requiered for the system to operate. The console will provide HD videos, and will use new depth sensor technology to provide better screen resolution and less noisy depth data. Active infrared illumination will provide high-quality monochrome images ever in low ambiente light conditions. A wider field of view allows play in smaller spaces and removes the need for a tilt motor.

System software will offer a full set of system API for Natural User Interface (NUI), and the API set will be corresponding API used by Xbox 360. Skeleton tracking, identity, and other NUI functions will be performed by the system and for that reason, titles no longer need to allocate title resources to NUI.

The Durango controller will make the best-in-class Xbox 360 controller ever better. It will have low-latency wireless connectivity to the console, and improve ergonomics. System interactions that use the controller will be simplified to make them easier for noncore gamers.

Every Durango console will have a hard drive, although its exact capacity has not been choosen. It will be large enough, however, to hold a large number of games. All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from optical disc will be not supported.

Durango consoles will have Blu-ray Disc drive. Disc media will be used dor distributuion, but during gameplay, games will not use content from optical disc. An installation system is being designed that will allow gamers to begin playing while the game is being installed on the hard drive rather than waiting until insatallation is complete.

Audio from Durango will be all digital - 7.1 discrete PCM output through HDMIU and S/PDIF. Hardware accelerators will be included for decoding and decompressing common audio formats. There also will be a dedicated processor to perform common signal processing in hardware.
</>

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:27:07 AM PDT
Beau H. says:
I think this is posted in another thread...

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:33:59 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Hmm, so is that how they're combating used game sales...by forcing installs and requiring activation?

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:35:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 7:37:25 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
"Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

So this console will have a solid 8 month life cycle before it dies and you have to get a replacement?

"Play from optical disc will be not supported."

Then why even sell them? There has to be a consistent internet connection, why sell physical discs at all?

There hasn't been one single news snippet, sentence, word, that has made this thing appeal to me at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:38:07 AM PDT
Yeah, I'm wondering if there will be a key required at activation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:39:38 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
Do they need to do that though, can't they just watermark the disc?

Anyway, yes this was sort of posted in the other thread but the bullet point nicely condense that wall-o-text.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:42:00 AM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
Im sure they are selling them on disc in order to help out people who don't have a fast internet connection and also for quicker installs. Imagine buying a game Day 1 for the Durango and not being able to play it until the next day because of the 20 gig download and install.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:42:33 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
Always on = worse or better phantom power drain than what we have today?

Always connected = I'm generally connected anyway, but this could affect others who aren't right?

Play from optical disc not supported = need to think about this, hard drives are basically necessary today, but I also don't need to worry about space usage (generally) when playing off disc. Hmmm.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:42:48 AM PDT
amessofamind says:
I'm getting worried.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:43:52 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
It doesn't sound like Microsoft is taking much stock in what consumers want anyway. My guess is that they are doing a machine like this in the hopes they can secure more exclusivity solely because games on their console can't be reused.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:44:00 AM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
I have a feeling there may still be people out there waiting on the download of Lego City Undercover. So your point is very valid

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:46:10 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
LOL, I cringe at the thought of trying to download a retail game from the Wii U eShop.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:46:45 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
I think MS will use a system like Sony intends to, where by games will be able to be played MUCH sooner in the download process.

Anyway, the thing that truly gets me freaked is the "Kinect _must_ be on and plugged in" bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:48:43 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
But if you have a Kinect, why wouldn't you have it turned on anyway?

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:52:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:36:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:52:25 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
These rumors definitely don't sound good. Mother Sony is accepting new members into the fold. All are welcome...aaaaall are welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:52:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:36:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:53:18 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Except M. M is still KoS.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:54:57 AM PDT
If this is legit information, I simply won't buy the next Xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:55:25 AM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
I bought a kinect not long after they first came out with some tax refund money. I hardly used it. When I won my slim xbox it came with it. I didn't even bother hooking it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:56:09 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
"I bought a kinect not long after they first came out with some tax refund money."

If you were just going to piss your money away, you should have just let the government keep it.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:56:14 AM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
If they really enact the policy of charging people rates based on the amount of people displayed on their Kinect and having that info sent to Microsoft HQ, that would be maybe one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:57:30 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
Space/placement issues I would guess.

Imagine the person with all 3 consoles and who want to own a Xbox but prefers playing most stuff on their PS4 and Wii U for exclusives. 3 Sensor/camera systems is a LOT.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:58:50 AM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
I wanted to play Gunstringer and play with the voice navigation stuff. Little did I know Netflix controls would be useless as the Kinect ignored me any time there was sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:59:04 AM PDT
Yeah, but you forget the joys of voyeurs being able to watch the same person through three different cameras!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Are Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons worth $3.99 a piece? 4 1 minute ago
Adrian Peterson was indicted for disciplining his son... 180 2 minutes ago
OT: What Dead Musicians Would You Bring Back To Life? 76 3 minutes ago
It's Got Me! Tales From a Former Destiny Detractor 170 5 minutes ago
Xbox-Exclusive Forza Horizon 2 Goes Gold, Xbox One Gets Demo Today 81 8 minutes ago
After only 1 week Destiny has been slashed in price to $30 at least at one US retailer. 51 12 minutes ago
Minecraft Celebrates The Microsoft Acquisition 0 15 minutes ago
Had never considered dropping 200 on a game... 20 19 minutes ago
OT: Hilary Clinton Announces She is Running for President during Iowa Trip 95 20 minutes ago
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Dev Responds to Titanfall "Ripoff" Claims 3 24 minutes ago
OT: Apple finally discontinues the iPod Classic 50 27 minutes ago
Far Cry 4 Elephants Trailer 12 28 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  102
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions