Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Why is owning a gun a big deal for you Americans?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 408 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:15:41 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Isn't the National Guard considered part of the military tho? Either way, if I was correct, the National Guard wouldn't have to go anywhere. They would constitute the militia that the amendment was made to protect. What would change is all the people holding guns for personal defense would be doing so unlawfully. Unless you made a new law allowing for such a thing, or amended the second amendment to be worded correctly. Which I would be fine with. I could care less if other people have guns or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:17:29 PM PST
Anthony says:
you're not too bright are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:18:35 PM PST
It specifically says "any person may publish."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:19:07 PM PST
Anthony says:
yes. i do. some guys kicked in the door and they were held by shotgun. ironically, amongst the things stolen were my friend paul's 3 handguns.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:31:44 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Why would a private citizen's published work not be considered part of the press? Can you publish something privately?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:36:27 PM PST
Anthony says:
shouldn't that be "only the sith deal in absolutes"?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:45:18 PM PST
Anthony says:
huh. i don't think i've ever actually agreed with DV over Andrew in an argument before.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:51:54 PM PST
The world is coming to an end!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:17:30 AM PST
AndrewA says:
Where were you for all the other disagreements?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:31:52 AM PST
Allen says:
Best to be informed about the issue
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57491081/ben-stein-stricter-gun-laws-wont-cut-shootings/ http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list
Another way of thinking is this guns get banned just like pot. Can U still by pot? How about meth ? You will effectively created a new income stream for the cartel or any other enterprising crook. Thats why prohibition worked so well.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:33:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:34:13 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:33:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:34:00 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:53:07 AM PST
AndrewA says:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2001003,00.html

It looks like the legal world agreed with my view on the amendment for over 200 years, and four of the nine justices also agreed. What would you rather have, 200+ years of precedent behind your argument, or four years? If Time isn't reputable enough I'll try to find a better source.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:43:10 AM PST
That's because those arguments usually invovle Mass Effect or BioWare.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:52:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:53:49 AM PST
I didn't read any of this thread. My contribution is this:

I don't understand why people equate "Gun Laws" with banning all guns all over the country forever. I'm fairly certain no one wants that. But the gun nuts get all foamy as soon as someone mentions Gun and Law in the same sentence. Why would a normal Joe care if he had to wait 10 days for a handgun? Why would he care if the FBI did a background check on him? I live in NY and I know that it would be a hassle if I wanted a handgun and I'm ok with that. NY gun laws are pretty strict now.

It's a shame though that people foaming at the mouth screaming "don't take mah guns away gubmint!" obfuscates the fact that stricter gun laws would hurt no one and that no one actually wants to take guns away from anyone. Someone running into a store saying "I need a gun right this second!" probably doesn't have the best intentions. Seems like common sense to me.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:59:33 AM PST
Holy balls I sure did open a can of worms yesterday didn't I....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:09:33 AM PST
Most of the problem that people have with gun laws is the fact that they don't like idea of the government keeping tabs on what guns they own. If the government knows what weapons you own then they can take them from you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:11:04 AM PST
Hey, this one isn't your fault.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:13:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 5:18:40 AM PST
Do you know anyone that had a legally owned gun taken away from them by the government? I don't. And the idea that you think law enforcement or "the government" (which is a meaningless term by the way) shouldn't be allowed to keep tabs on who owns what guns is ... incomprehensible to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:20:13 AM PST
The Brits attempted to do it at Concord in 1775. It has been attempted in the past. So why not at some point in the future?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:22:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 5:23:15 AM PST
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're kidding/trolling.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:29:54 AM PST
Guns go bang bang really loud.

Guns are nice.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:33:01 AM PST
I have a house and a family. Have you ever watched the news? There's some really sick people out there.

If push ever came to shove, I'll be prepared. Hopefully that day never comes though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:45:01 AM PST
I didn't say that I think the guv'ment is gonna take our guns away. I'm just pointing out to you why people get upset at gun laws and their reasoning. The Nazi's did it to the jews. So did the Soviet Union. I'm not trying to compare the US to either but it was less than 10 years time from when Germany was a republic to all out fascism. People dont like the idea of records being kept that can be used against them. Do you like the idea of a government agency keeping tabs on what websites you visit?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:49:36 AM PST
I have no issue with a government agency keeping tabs on what websites I visit. I couldn't care less.

I'm not going to even comment on the other ... things .. you typed. I'm going to plug my ears and say "lalalalalala" and try to pretend people like you don't actually exist. It's harsh I know but I'm an honest man.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  408
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions