Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Flash update installed Chrome and Google Toolbar without permission

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 5:16:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 5:21:40 PM PST
Maybe this is old news for most of you, but I just upgraded my laptop's Flash player (following a typical prompt from Flash that it was time to upgrade). Surprise! It also installed Google Chrome and the Google Toolbar on my Internet Explorer browser, and it did so without asking me if I wanted them.

Seems shoddy to me. I'd like to protest.

EDIT: Are you SERIOUS? I just got a pop up on my IE reading: "You are using a version of Internet Explorer which will soon be unsupported. Some features may not work correctly. Upgrade to a modern browser, such as Google Chrome."
Gee, thanks, Google.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:38:00 PM PST
Anthony says:
you actually use IE?

and with your little edit i'm leaning towards this just being a troll thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:44:14 PM PST
I had to update to Google Chrome and haven't used IE since then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:50:05 PM PST
I'm enjoying chrome..a lot better than ie

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:55:22 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 9, 2012 5:57:43 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:56:10 PM PST
Anthony says:
i ditched IE for firefox years ago. then when i got my current laptop it already had chrome installed on it. so i started switching back and forth between firefox and chrome and wound up gradually phasing out firefox entirely. i almost exclusively use chrome now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:04:50 AM PST
You actually feel superior because you no longer use IE?
And no, my post was not to start a troll thread. I'm seriously annoyed by any program that installs stuff without asking first.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:06:19 AM PST
It installed Macafee on me theo ther day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:06:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:07:27 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
'You actually feel superior because you no longer use IE?"

Yes. Yes I do.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:07:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:11:17 AM PST
You must have hit express install.

I recently updated flash as well and under custom install I was able to uncheck the google toolbar....I never use express though, most of the time doing so on CNET or other generic downloads will install a Norton component or something else I don't need.

You should definitely stop using IE and go with chrome or at the very least firefox though. Both are vastly superior to IE.

My Dark Souls stat builder won't even function with IE.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:28:50 AM PST
I don't remember being offered any options at all (such as express install), but it's possible.
I also use Firefox regularly, but I'm so used to starting with IE and some of my programs still default to it (at home). At work unfortunately they took away all our admin rights so I can't freaking install anything anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:41:51 AM PST
Supposedly there were options on the flash website where you clicked the link to install the new version. I had this discussion on my FB with some friends on Friday after Flash decided I really REALLY needed Macafee. I didn't see any radio buttons on the link that was presented to me to download the newest version, but then again, maybe they just made it really hard to see so they could trick more people into getting it.

Those bastidges.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:26:56 PM PST
Anthony says:
no, that was me expressing my disbelief that anyone uses IE anymore. its a piece of crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:27:08 PM PST
Anthony says:
lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:30:21 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Since you still use IE I'm going to assume you're retirement age. What' your golf handicap?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:33:07 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Anytime you download freeware always make sure to read every check box and uncheck anything relating to promo search toolbars or default web browsers. I agree with the others in that you should definitely use Firefox or Chrome though.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:40:43 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
IE?! Lol in that case you should be thanking google and adobe because they just did you a huge favor

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:46:08 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
this is an obvious troll.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions