Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Planescape: Torment sequel finally in the works

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 10:59:43 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/12/planescape-torment-sequel-finally-in-the-works/

Original designer moving forward with a follow-up to the groundbreaking PC RPG.

by Kyle Orland - Dec 3 2012, 11:33am CST

Fans have been waiting nearly 13 years for an official sequel to Black Isle Studios' Planescape: Torment, the groundbreaking PC RPG that turned many of the genre's conventions on their heads. Now, it seems that sequel is finally set to move forward, with Torment designer Colin McComb once again asking "What can change the nature of a man?".

Speculation about the project started in earnest after McComb-who has also worked on Fallout: New Vegas and the recently Kickstarted Wasteland 2-recently penned a long blog post reflecting on his time working on Torment and speculating on what could be done with a sequel.

"The first step in designing a new Torment story is to ask the primary question," he wrote. "I'm older than I was when I worked on Torment, and my questions now are different than they were. I have children now, and I look at the world through their eyes and through mine, and that's changed me-in fact, the intervening years have changed me so much that I have new answers for the central story in the original Torment. So now that I know what can change the nature of a man, I ask: What does one life matter?... and does it matter at all?"

All this thinking about a sequel led McComb to reach out to Torment lead designer Chris Avellone, and the pair discussed how a sequel would be possible without the interference of rights-holder Wizards of the Coast. "We both agreed that Planescape was not the best route for us to take anyway, due to the mechanical issues and editorial oversight WotC would want," McComb told Eurogamer. In other words, the new title will be a Torment game, but without the Planescape setting controlled by WotC. McComb said he then asked for and received Avellone's explicit blessing to work on the Torment sequel he has been envisioning, while Avellone continues to focus on the highly anticipated Project Eternity.

Meanwhile, a trademark application for the name "Torment" has popped up on the USPTO website in reference to "providing online downloadable computer and video game programs" and "providing temporary use of online non-downloadable computer and video games." The trademark was filed back in May by Roxy Friday, a company controlled by Black Isle Studios' Brian Fargo, who has used it to register other game-related trademarks in the past.

"There are many other pieces to the pie on this project that I can't speak to yet which prevents me from much comment," Fargo told Eurogamer. "I need to get the other elements in order so you can fully understand the detail, team, approach and reasoning first. There will lots of pleasant surprises but I had not planned on talking about it yet."

DVvM, I believe this is as relevant to your interests as it is to mine.

I'm trying to put my wallet into the CD tray in an effort to make them take my money faster.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:03:39 AM PST
DVvM says:
Ohmanohmanohmanohman :)!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:07:15 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
If I weren't at work I'd probably be squealing like a 5 year old girl who was told she really is getting a pony for Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:08:57 AM PST
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, what else to say?

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:10:52 AM PST
I installed the original awhile ago, but haven't had a chance to play it.

I should stop playing online games for awhile and clear up some back log.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:12:59 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Yes. Yes you should, starting with this game.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:24:41 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Great news. I'd love to see Obsidian and InXile get together and collaborate a lot on this.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:35:26 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I am relieved to see games like this being made still. I can look forward to this and Project Eternity. I also want to get Baldur's Gate EE one of these days I just don't want my PC backlog to multiply to the extent it has on my consoles.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:40:53 AM PST
I've found that I don't have the time or "attention span" to play this kind of game these days. I always get sidetracked and pulled to do something else, then I can't really remember what I was supposed to do when I come back. People criticize games that "hold your hand" with objectives marked on the map and such, but I don't even finish games anymore if I forget where I need to go and life gets in the way for a while.

Basically, I can't be bothered to take notes or keep a journal and I don't have huge unbroken blocks of gaming time in order to live in one of those huge worlds. Baldur's Gate 2 took what, 100 hours to beat with Throne of Bhaal?
Maybe I've become a "casual" gamer or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:49:22 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
You're a grownup ; ) I do the same thing as far as bouncing around games but I have no trouble picking up from where I left off and oftentimes have about 10 games going at any given time between my systems. I do the same thing with books! The books are a bit harder because the stories are more complex.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:50:56 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Is Baldur's Gate EE even out yet? I've been waiting for the android release so I can play it at work during lunch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:44:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:45:35 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
It's out for PC. I'm not sure about the other platforms. I don't own any of them : ) Although I am going to have a Kindle Fire soon so it would be cool if this game was available on that though I doubt it would be.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:57:44 PM PST
So now I have no excuse not to slog through the original game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:02:25 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
They will have an Android version, so it's a very real possibility that you could end up playing it on your Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:13:23 PM PST
DVvM says:
It's not a slog!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:55:41 PM PST
:-)

It's just a lot of text. I have started it, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 6:10:11 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Ah, you need to get to work. Planescape is one of the best CRPGs evar.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 6:16:16 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Aw crap, now I have no excuse not to fire up the original and finally play it.

It's been perched securely in my backlog since about 2001 or so.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:32:41 AM PST
How long is the original?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 11:45:52 AM PST
http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=583

Looks like 25+ hours.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:54:08 AM PST
I guess I should play the original Planescape at some point then.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:07:53 PM PST
First I heard of this.

*falls off of chair due to nervous anticipation*

There is a god.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 8:25:25 AM PST
Sparhawk says:
Hrm, slightly less interested seeing that they're ditching the Planescape setting. Still, the philosophical questions interspersed with battle should remain fascinating.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 8:58:37 AM PST
Well they'd need to get the license from WotC, and it seems like WotC doesn't care about making a good D&D video game propety.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 9:05:53 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Evidence: D&D Online.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions