Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Timesplitters HD pack or sequel still possible

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 7:53:16 AM PST
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/14/crytek-timesplitters-hd-collection-still-possible

Crytek President Cevat Yerli has revealed he'd be prepared to push for a re-release or sequel to the original Timesplitters games, but only if fans can demonstrate there's demand.

Speaking to GameInformer,Yerli explained that while there was no question over his personal desire to see the franchise resurrected, it's currently a struggle to justify it from a business perspective.

"For me, I would love to see the game out there, as a newborn HD version or what not," he admitted. "I definitely would love to see it. But the case of turning this into a business decision is still difficult, despite the fact that there was a Twitter request feed to test the waters."

In mid-October, fans launched a petition with the aim of trying to prove that there was still enough of a fanbase to justify a remake, but Yerli says this didn't work well enough and confirmed the company's past feelings about the game.

He revealed, "There is actually a petition running online trying to bring the fan base together. But unfortunately the petition doesn't look that convincing. If the petition picks up it will be an even better argument for us.

"It just seems to be as we expected, as it was when it was Free Radical."

Timesplitters was originally developed by Free Radical, which Crytek obtained in February 2009. Despite fan hopes that this would mean a fourth entry in the popular shooter series may see release, Yerli reveals there wasn't enough industry demand. He asserted that he's still prepared to champion the cause though, presenting the magic number of 300,000 signatures as how many would be required to get the project off the ground.

"There's a very hardcore market that is very verbal about it," he explained. "I would love to see this, and if the fan base approves a further petition. They're trying to call 300,000 voices, I think it's at two or three thousand right now. If they could get the petition together I would be very happy to put in front of decision makers in the company, the key stakeholders, and say "Look here. This is how it is, let's make it now.""

Since referencing the petition,over 25,000 more signatures have appeared in a few hours. As the company has previously ruled out using Kickstarter to get the franchise get back on its feet, go sign if you fancy another outing with Cortez and co.
-----
I think they should release a HD remake pack, see how that does then base the possibility of a sequel. A HD remake should cost Crytek that much money plus it gives tge fans it has what they want. Id buy it :)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:56:40 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I'll never understand what people saw in these games. I thought they were all fairly mediocre shooters even when I played them back in the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:57:40 AM PST
Unfortunately I agree 100% with Donald.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:01:38 AM PST
Crytek can go to hell for all I care.

First they buy Free Radical and everyone gets excited hoping development on Timesplitters 4 will continue... which it doesn't. Then they turn around and start talking about the franchise as if they aren't sure people were ever really interested which of course gets massive response from fans only to be followed up that they are considering a free to play model for the series... Okay... Fans obviously aren't pleased with that and there was enough backlash to shoot that idea down yet now we're back to having to prove we're interested in a title we've been asking for since you bought Free Radical?! The hell?

Then to add more to this apparently Crysis is going free to play after Crysis 3 because they done with Prophet's story so we're just going to move away from the story aspects focusing solely on multiplayer.

And now a Kickstarter is even being considered to make Timesplitters happen? Did the series not have three rather recent releases that were all quite well received by reviewers and fans alike? Yea the last Timesplitters title came out in 2005 so it seems we're overdue for an HD remake instead of just working on the title everyone wanted originally.

Get back to ruining Crysis already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 12:24:43 AM PST
Nicos says:
Well, it had really fun local MP. You could play as really crazy characters in it from T-rexes to Aztec Mummies to a school of fish. It also had a Map Maker included so you could make your own MP levels. That was the big draw for me. The last game also featured a great CooP campagin too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:17:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 5:41:00 AM PST
Zetirix says:
Compared to what? Killzone was still another 4 years away (and based on my HD re-release play time with it, not very good or as fun), and the first TS game was a launch title for the PS2. The couch co-op was really the first for me in any type of FPS and it was really well done. TS:Future Perfect even came with a well done campaign despite the EA branding on the box. The Vin Diesel-like voicing of Cortez was great and there was some good one-liners to boot. Challenge modes included anything from breaking glass with bricks to Duckman hunting with mini guns and even basketball with a grapple device that preceeded Portal's version. You can put in an excess of 100 hours(!) trying to do them all. I never understood why the series dropped off but with the Halos and BlOps and MWs out there, I can see why they wouldn't want to compete. (I know, they did develop Haze...)

I think the market for a less serious shooter is still there, and with games like Duke Nukem Forever and Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazzard garnering poor reviews, a well made TS revival is almost a sure hit in my book.

Undead Priest FTW.

Edit: Just remembered that they have Zombie challenge mode... the earliest FPS game I can think of with one.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:38:04 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Top left!

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:53:42 AM PST
User says:
I just remember the migraines and intense vomiting after playing. Loved the game but it's the only game that made me wonder if I had epilepsy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:02:48 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Marathon on XBL did that for me. I literally vomited after my 10 minute play session. What a waste of money that game was.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions