Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I have mixed feelings about Journey.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:32:58 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I did that thread. It -was- fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:15:24 PM PST
John, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but you look an awfully lot like the dood in Sega Ages Vol. 26: Dynamite Deka [Japan Import]
That game is FREAKING AMAZING
So congrats.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:36:22 PM PST
I feel like a VGF haiku thread would be fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:34:15 PM PST
K Archer says:
No reason; just something I find interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:13:29 PM PST
Why have you been writing haiku? Is it for a class or something?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:14:40 PM PST
John McClane says:
It's sad seeing Journey get the same award as Arkham City did last year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:26:54 PM PST
DVvM says:
I don't think it's correct to say "Journey isn't a game". I can say, however, that personally I wish there were more "game" there. If you don't buy into the artistic vision and the abstract storytelling an emotional level, there's not a lot for you in Journey (it's a bad game to go into skeptical).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:01:06 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Hahahaha, well to each their own! Thanks for not hating on me, I'm 99% in sync with most of the board but for some strange reason TWD didn't ''click'' with me that much. It might be my anti-hype personality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:58:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 1:58:56 PM PST
Dude, you're free to consider them games all you want...but I don't. I loved both TWD and Journey, but definitely do not consider them games. Visual novels is a good description (though that doesn't apply as much to Journey), but whatever we call them, they're not games. IN MY OPINION.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:50:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 1:50:34 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I have a downgraded version of the Bucket List. Rather than things I need to do before I die, they are things I'd like to do someday maybe but if I don't make it to them no big deal. Playing the fate games ranks on this list. I call it the "F--- it" list.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:36:29 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Fate/Zero would be a great example of a top notch visual novel. It obviously didn't have the budget of TWD, but it's good enough to impress without animation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:29:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 1:49:15 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I don't know about the visual novels you've played man, but the little demo of TWD I played was way more involved than any of the Visual Novels I've played. And even then, they're still considered a form of video game.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:24:01 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Man, japanese people don't have any problem calling visual novels, Visual Novels. I wonder what's the problem with us westerners and the denomination, because it's not offensive either. The Walking Dead is a visual novel, by definition and following ''change over time'' mentality. There is no gameplay whatsoever, only button prompts that make you chose different paths and different endings.

Of course, I'm gonna get flamed for that statement, even if I mention it's a damn great story and deserves tons of praise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:12:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 12:13:27 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Based on the same traditional understanding of games that accepts Myst and The Curse of Monkey Island as games, despite being very similar to the two cases above?

Besides, it's not like definitions for words change and evolve over time. The word 'Game' has changed very much over the years in response to the presence of video games, and the idea of what constitutes a video game has evolved as we've come up with new and different ways to game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:00:33 PM PST
Well, I guess that depends on your definition of "game". If you think movies or those choose-your-own adventure books qualify as games, then that makes sense. But neither TWD or Journey can be defined as a game based on the traditional definition/understanding of what constitutes a video game (and I love both of them, but games they are not).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:23:18 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I meant the comment wasn't directed to Journey, but The Walking Dead instead. One is a short all-around experience for your senses (albeit with little to do), the other is an interactive game/visual novel, that's why it's more suited to Youtube.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:59:13 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
So you wouldn't get anything different out of playing Journey than you would a Youtube video? I have tried doing that before on other video games and it is not the same at all.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:52:06 AM PST
Chocolette says:
It's a game. Just because it's not your type of game doesn't mean it's not a game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:41:16 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Uh uh, very wrong sir, very wrong.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:32:11 AM PST
I actually hated the demo of Journey. I found it incredibly boring and tedious. I bought the collection on sale after it got such rave reviews, and darn I'm glad I did. The entire game is drastically better than the demo led me to believe it would be. It's one of those "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" kinds of things.

In fact, that's the same experience I had with TWD (another similarity, even though the "games" are very different). That wasn't a demo, but when it came up on PS+ I downloaded it and played the first half hour or so (20 mins, maybe), and I was incredibly bored. But I eventually went back and gave it another shot based on all of the accolades, and I'm REALLY glad I did. Incredible experience, even though it's not really a game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:25:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 10:26:06 AM PST
Definitely, for both "games", but more experience than interactive. Neither has any kind of typical/traditional "gameplay", and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I also don't think it's fair to compare them to (or group them with) typical games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:45:54 AM PST
K Archer says:
Worst thing is, I have been doing a bit of haiku recently...just can't think of a good way to do that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:45:23 AM PST
K Archer says:
Spoilers ahead

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL48449B1D3185DE6E

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:39:32 AM PST
Lol.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:32:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 9:33:10 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I think the comment about watching a Journey playthrough on Youtube is ridiculous. You could honestly do that with pretty much every game out there but that doesn't mean the experience will be even remotely similar.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions