Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

MS Patent could turn Kinect into a video surveillance device... It's watching you...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 10:04:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:06:11 AM PST
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/729353/microsoft-patent-filing-aims-for-video-surveillance/

Microsoft Patent Filing Aims For Video Surveillance
Leave a Comment
Posted 4 hours 14 mins ago - By Adam Rosenberg

A newly discovered patent filing from Microsoft could potentially turn your Kinect camera into a remote monitoring device that would allow for the regulation of license-restricted content (via Eurogamer). According to patent application #20120278904, "the users consuming [individually licensed] content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."

In simpler terms, if you pay for, say, a movie rental on Xbox Live that is technically limited to your eyes only, this monitoring system could use a TV-connected camera, such as your Kinect, to see if anyone else is watching with you. Big brother might not be watching, but Microsoft certainly could be at some future date.

Now just because a patent application is filed, that doesn't mean it will be approved. Similarly, an approved patent may ultimately go no further than the R&D stage. This news doesn't automatically translate to "OMG MY XBOX IS WATCHING ME," but it's definitely something that should be of interest to folks who prefer to maintain their privacy. At last count, that amounts to roughly everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:06:40 AM PST
FOGE says:
Oh dear God no! The Kinnect will see everything I do!? Or I could you know, turn it around or place a shirt over it. Your move M$

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:07:31 AM PST
"In simpler terms, if you pay for, say, a movie rental on Xbox Live that is technically limited to your eyes only, this monitoring system could use a TV-connected camera, such as your Kinect, to see if anyone else is watching with you."

Oh please..such a BS excuse to get media attention.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:08:07 AM PST
Creepy nonetheless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:08:10 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
I hoping it doesn't catch me faaaappppppppping

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:08:15 AM PST
"According to patent application #20120278904, "the users consuming [individually licensed] content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."

It's listed in the patent application though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:08:45 AM PST
Sure, and their interpretation of what they think that means. Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:09:50 AM PST
"if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken"

Yes, but that line is pretty easily interpreted if the Kinect can sense the number of people in a room.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:10:18 AM PST
Not if I have my cloak robe on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:10:45 AM PST
Mischief Managed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:11:01 AM PST
Well... Yeah you got me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:12:06 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
Kinect isn't a telescope ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:21:54 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
LOL

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:24:42 AM PST
I fully expect Kinect sensors to someday sprout long, thin metallic legs, fire death rays thru their "eye" and end up enslaving humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:24:59 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
This will never hit the market, for the same reason that black boxes will never go in cars. We have rights against self-incrimination.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:25:53 AM PST
FOGE says:
Itd be about time the Kinnect did something worth mentioning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:25:58 AM PST
They are Trojan Horse-ing in the black boxes with Progressives's "Snapshot Discount". Creepy stuff, my lawyer brother-in-law explained how badly that could go for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:28:27 AM PST
MS= Skynet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:43:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:44:33 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I did Progressive's snap shot for 30 days (as soon as they started giving them away to non-Progressive customers), and since I have two cars, I kept it on my parked car exclusively for the entire 30 days. I told them that I didn't drive it and I wanted to prove that, and when they got the device back, my personalized quote was still $225 more expensive per 6 months than Geico, and I told Geico that I drove the car about 30 miles a day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:45:27 AM PST
A friend of mine used to drive erratically, so they put one of those "black boxes" into his car. If he broke any laws, drove recklessly, or was speeding, they would suspend his license. He had to have a dash cam and a computer connected to his car every time he drove.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:46:37 AM PST
Geico wasn't a bad price, but even Statefarm beat Geico for my insurance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:47:45 AM PST
FOGE says:
Hell Yeah State Farm! Thats what I have. And its headquarters is in my hometown.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:49:23 AM PST
They've been great to us in the past 4 years that we've had them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:49:33 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
Fox, I just switched to progressive and they are sending me that snapshot thing. Will it actually save me money if I drive well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:50:07 AM PST
FOGE says:
I like em too. Been pretty awesome with my car accident.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions