Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

How Nintendo is Encouraging Devs to Make Games on Wii U

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 10:19:21 AM PST
Miyamoto has talked about how Nintendo is encouraging developers to make games for Wii U in an IGN interview.

It seems that Miyamoto has been meeting personally with developers to encourage them to work with Nintendo's new console. "I am trying to meet with the game developers individually for this matter," he says, asked how the company will be supporting other developers that want to get the best out of the hardware. "The real subject is whether I'll be able to - we'll be able to - convince developers inside of the licensing publishers to be excited about the new features of the Wii U, so much so that they'll be enthused towards making brand new entertainment that I couldn't come up with myself."

It's no secret to anyone that third-party developers struggled to get the most out of the Wii - almost all of the system's truly great games came from within Nintendo's own stables. But Miyamoto does not think that third-party developers lack the know-how to make the most out of the hardware; far from it.

"When it comes to technologies and techniques and skills necessary for working on Wii U, [and] what we can provide, I can count on them that they already have that. They know how to do that," Miyamoto asserts. "They are always skilful, and actually they must have some different know-how from what we have. There might be some misunderstanding - as if Nintendo alone had some special know-how, and because Nintendo has not shared those unique, secret protocols with other, third-party publishers have not been able to create the exciting, unique gameplay on Nintendo hardware. But that was not the case."

"The fact of the matter is that most third-party licensees from a business point of view, had to create multi-platform titles - and because Nintendo has been trying to create very unique hardware, oftentimes it was not considered the first choice for them to work on multi-platform software," he explains. "So it's the entire company decision-making process that is hindering developer's ability from making unique titles on Wii U hardware. Once again, my job as one of the developers is meet with the individual people and convince that they'll be able to create brand new entertainment that they really wish to realise. My job is to try to assist them in that fashion.

"I do not think that providing any special technologies, know how or skills would be able to change the situation, because I understand that most third-party developers already have those things."

Look out for our full interview with Miyamoto very soon.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/05/how-nintendo-is-encouraging-devs-to-make-games-on-wii-u

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty interesting that Miyamoto recognizes Nintendo's past decisions and how they negatively impacted relationships with third party developers. I didn't expect to him to so openly admit that they had basically screwed themselves before but I'm certainly not going to complain about hearing the truth. In fact I'm quite pleased to hear him say that and hopefully his efforts pay off in the end.

So far third party support has been pretty good for the Wii-U with Platinum working on several titles including the exclusive Bayonetta 2, Gearbox is saying the Wii-U will have the best version (console wise) for Aliens: Colonial Marines, recently Splinter Cell: Blacklist was spotted being listed for the Wii-U, and even Ubisoft has made Rayman Legends an exclusive so clearly third party developers are seeing something they like.

Thoughts?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:22:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 10:23:11 AM PST
Keller says:
Sounds great on paper, but so far I am not impressed. I will be impressed with third party support once we get top shelf titles such as Dishonored, Skyrim, etc. Right now it appears the U is only getting some ok third party support. There hasn't been anything, IMHO, that blows me away. ACIII is the closest thing the U has and it doesn't run any better than the ps3 version, at least according to reports. Hopefully next year we will get some stronger third party support. Darksiders and Batman mean literally nothing to me.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:24:57 AM PST
I was hoping Nintendo was giving developers bags of money, millions of dollars of bubble gum, possibly sending them smoking hot women to have sex with... but no instead they are sending Miyamoto to their doorsteps (boring)!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:26:09 AM PST
What if Miyamoto is naked when he visits them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:26:43 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Haha, Keller has a hardon for Bethesda games.

Just get them on the PS3/360.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:30:57 AM PST
Sold! I'm now a third party developer for the Wii U.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:32:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 10:33:25 AM PST
Keller says:
Betheseda makes superb games. Oblivion and Skyrim are easily top 10 this generation. I'd love to see them on the U with enhanced graphics and map support. I have Oblivion on the 360 and Skyrim on the ps3. Though I am probalby trading in Skyrim ps3 for the 360 version, for obvious reasons. Back to the point, the U has better third party support than the Wii ever did, but I am not blown away by it. There are many key titles the U isn't getting.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:35:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 12:07:16 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
It is true that in the past Nintendo themselves may have been the biggest hindrance where 3rd party support is concerned. But, you can't help but feel a certain biased attitude toward Nintendo from some developers. It is a fact that N wasn't so friendly with others during the 90's, and that may be the source of today's negative vibes coming from certain 3rd party developers.

However, the list of excuses that the 3rd party can use to justify not supporting the Wii U and Nintendo in the future is rapidly shrinking:

You want "standard" controls? - Check
You want more power (HD)? - Check
You want a more robust online environment? - Check
You want larger disc spaces? - Check
You want N to reach out, providing support where needed? - Check
You want versatility/flexibility where controls are concerned? - Check

And the list goes on. Only time will tell whether or not the 3rd parties who always seem to find flaws will finally step up, giving a Nintendo platform their best and not their sloppy seconds. (Looking at you, 2K/Rock*, Bethesda, EA)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:36:05 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
You seem to be hung up on Wii U ports having enhanced graphics. Whoever said this would be the case? If nothing else, you'll see a difference similar to a PS3 vs. 360 game. Maybe games developed specifically for Wii U can have better graphics, but porting a game over isn't gonna yield any earth-shattering differences.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:36:57 AM PST
I am sure Nintendo fanboys think having Miyamoto visit is better than all that other stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:37:25 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I am kinda bummed to think that the next Elder Scrolls game will likely not be on the Wii U either. I don't want to sound too negative but by the time next gen systems roll out Bethesda will go with the stronger systems and PC for FO4 and ES.

I still think we'll see plenty of good 3rd party games though as long as people buy them!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:38:06 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Bethesda has stated that they will not work with the Wii U.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:38:37 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Usually the VGF turns into a huge whinefest over ports on new systems, enhanced or not. One would think a lack of ports would be good?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:38:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 10:42:45 AM PST
Keller says:
It is my personal expectation. The U should be popping out better graphics. I never said the difference should be earth shattering, but it should be visible. One would expect a brand new system with 4x more ram would be able to produce better graphics than something that was released 6 years ago. Either way, third party support on the U is improved compared to the Wii, but far from earth shattering.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:41:12 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Agreed. It's like they want each new console to solve world hunger, then get disappointed when it fails to live up to their own personal expectations. I will judge the Wii U based on what it's actually supposed to do vs. an arbitrary wish list of things that were never announced.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:42:12 AM PST
Sort of, they said at this time they are not currently interested.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:15:19 AM PST
I'm going to make a third-party game for the Wii U called "Bert Stare."

It consists of you and Bert staring at each other for as long as you can handle. This is going to have local multiplayer as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:16:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:18:08 AM PST
Im so glad we're on the same page.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:17:23 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So, Shigeru is paying visits to developers to entice them to make games for the Wii U. I have to imagine he is relying on his people's ancient and most revered persuasion technique: The Happy Ending.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:58:32 AM PST
Aku says:
Considering the Happy Mask Salesman from Majora's Mask is supposedly based on Shiggy, I'm not sure I would want to be the guy who tells him that the company is not interested in Wii U development. Miyamoto's smile would disappear and you'd be in a deathgrip before you even registered movement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:46:49 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
Sorry but the last thing it needs in my opinion is more ports
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions