Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: New Years Resolutions?


Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 76 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:13:38 AM PST
And pretty darn proud of it ;) I get callied weird just about every night I play Blops 2... hasn't stopped me yet *laugh*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:15:26 AM PST
What? No quote about not being easy Aes Sedai meat? lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:16:38 AM PST
Verbose says:
R. Bailey,

I like the idea of looking at it from that perspective. It never hurts to reflect. But I think resolutions are tangible decisions to do something, perhaps made as a result of reflecting. But hopefully a person doesn't only reflect on their actions once a year, and hopefully they already know themselves well enough to know what kinds of changes they ought to make. Isn't being self-aware supposed to be one of the signs of intelligent life?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:17:55 AM PST
Verbose says:
Bill,

No, the people who go "meh whatever" MIGHT be people who don't truly want to change. Or they might be people who have been changing throughout their lives (or are at least making constant efforts to do so instead of merely making annual efforts) and therefore find New Year's Resolutions to be superfluous.

As far as procrastinators go, they're all talk, no action, and impossible to take seriously. Some procrastinators can talk very convincingly about the things they intend to do, but they're worthless when it comes to actually doing anything they say. Until they resolve their issues with procrastination, they aren't going to stick to any serious resolutions for long, no matter when they make them.

Over half of your resolutions read like a "To Do List" to me, not like a list of resolutions to transform one's life. I complete "To Do Lists" on a regular basis, not annually.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:23:35 AM PST
That was the only one that I remembered off of the top of my head since it was yelled by Matrim at a very exciting moment. I know that there was one when he was getting the link with the dagger broken but I don't know the phrasing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:29:26 AM PST
Brykume says:
This is an awful post.

"As far as procrastinators go, they're all talk, no action, and impossible to take seriously."

Uh, wut? Who is a "procrastinator"? We're all procrastinators at some point, at and other times, not. We're always in a constant state of change.. we're never one thing, forever. There's always ends to any behavior. And then you proceed to call these imaginary people "worthless".

Awful post. Just awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:35:47 AM PST
Joel H. says:
I get what you're saying but you just come off as sounding really pessimistic and angry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:43:32 AM PST
"Who is a "procrastinator"?"

*raises hand*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:44:32 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I'll let you know tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:44:32 AM PST
My New Years Resolution? Ehh... about 1600x900.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:44:46 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Ninja'd. Twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:47:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:50:38 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:49:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:50:05 AM PST
Clearly we have some very funny people up in this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:50:45 AM PST
I hate New Years, I work out 6 times a week and what is the most common resolution? GET IN SHAPE! So the first week in Jan at the gym is HELL. Millions of people! Second Week 1000s of people! Third week, life begins to return to normal, but still slightly busy. Week 4 normal once again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:51:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:52:34 AM PST
Joel H. says:
JJ you have nothing on me. You live with your parents. You're obese. You create threads about socks, and your online handle is epic beast. Boom indeed. I get the deletion though. That was pretty randomly hostile.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:53:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 12:00:24 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
My New Years resolution is the same as every year: go out with a bang-your-mom.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:55:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:57:49 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:05:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:44:08 PM PST
"As far as procrastinators go, they're all talk, no action, and impossible to take seriously."

I would say that's not true at all. I put things off forever and then I get them done quite reliably. To be honest with you I feel less comfortable with people who are very goal-oriented. Life is not a set of goals or a race to be run, it's a like a meandering tale told by a traveler. I find more satisfaction in the telling of the tale than the conclusion.

To each their own, though. I don't mind if people want to check the boxes off as long as they don't expect me to do the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:34:04 PM PST
Verbose says:
Brykume,

Do you really think I was referring to everybody who ever procrastinates? Or would the context of my post perhaps imply that I was talking about chronic procrastinators? If I referred to "bad parents", would you assume I meant any parent who had ever made a bad decision? If I referred to "drunks", would you assume I was referring to anybody who'd ever been drunk? If I referred to "murderers", would you assume I meant even people who ate meat or killed bugs?

>> We're all procrastinators at some point, at and other times, not. We're always in a constant state of change.. we're never one thing, forever.

Why do you think I said, "Until they resolve their issues with procrastination...", if I thought people were procrastinators forever? I believe people can change if they genuinely want to. My point is that, if a person has a serious problem with procrastination, then I believe that problem is going to hinder them from other accomplishments.

>> And then you proceed to call these imaginary people "worthless".

No, I didn't. I explicitly said they were worthless when it came to doing what they said they would. If you think all there is to a person is their ability to do what they've said they'll do, then I guess that would be the same as calling them "worthless". But that would be your interpretation and it in no way reflects what I said.

>> This is an awful post.
>> Awful post. Just awful.

Perhaps it's your interpretation that's awful, since the only thing in your post that seems relevant to mine is, "Who is a 'procrastinator'?" If you disagree with my post, that's fine; discussions would be boring if everybody agreed. I should have better clarified what I meant instead of simply saying "procrastinators", but most of your reply seems to be an attempt to rephrase what I said, or to ignore the things I did say.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:37:58 PM PST
Verbose says:
>> Life is not a set of goals or a race to be run, it's a like a meandering tale told by a traveler. I find more satisfaction in the telling of the tale than the conclusion.

Why can't one take satisfaction in both? Just because a person is eager to achieve a goal doesn't mean they didn't enjoy the process of getting there. On the flip side of the coin, just because a person wants to enjoy the journey doesn't mean they don't value achievements or that they want to live a stagnant life with no forward movement. If somebody is on either end of those two extremes, they have a problem.

For me, procrastination creates stress and saps the joy from life. If I'm putting off something that's unpleasant but necessary, then it's a looming shadow that prevents me from fully enjoying the more fun things I want to do. If I get the unpleasant thing done right away, then I can enjoy my fun more fully with a clear conscience. Even if one's only goal in life is to "have fun living", I see procrastination as a hindrance to that. If I have to be harassed by people because I haven't done what I told them I'd do, then that's not fun. If bad things happen because I procrastinated too long, then that's not fun. If I'm occasionally feeling dread about doing something that I know I have to do eventually, then that's not fun.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:43:08 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
Buy more video games
Be more sedentary
Gain a minimum of 65 pounds
Become more anti social

I think I am on a good track to reaching my goal!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:59:53 PM PST
Joel H. says:
Hey JJ you should tell your dad how much you hatt me at dinner tonight.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:03:04 PM PST
Are you an aspiring motivational speaker or something? Procrastination isn't an 'always' kinda thing for most of us, but I'm willing to bet that many of us do it on occasion. You are correct, people can enjoy reaching goals. They can also enjoy goofing off even if there is something that they can do that is productive.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:26:44 PM PST
"If I'm putting off something that's unpleasant but necessary, then it's a looming shadow that prevents me from fully enjoying the more fun things I want to do"

Well that's cool. That's not the case with me, though, I just put it out of my mind and do it when I feel like it. Similarly, people don't ever harass me to do anything if they know what's good for them, lol. I think we overracted and jumped on you a bit, it just sounds like a difference in personality.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:44:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 3:17:38 PM PST
I don't really believe in New Years resolutions. I use to do them, but I never really did anything to make them happen. One year I didn't make any resolutions, I ended up losing 50 lbs. and got in shape.

Maybe people think too much about resolutions or put too much stock in them.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in
 


 

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions