Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Roll 1d10 for damage! Crimson Shroud review roundup (3DS eShop)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 78 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:13:41 AM PST
Crit on a 15? Damn.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:27:11 AM PST
I've been playing this for a while and I'm not far enough to give a full review but here are some quick impressions-

$7.99. 1,965 blocks.

When you are on the 3DS homescreen and select Crimson Shroud you know this game is for the pen & paper crowd. It shows all of the classic dice floating in the background. By the way, the Crimson Shroud logo really looks like it pops out of the screen with the 3D effect. When playing the game the 3D effect looks more like a pop up novel. Some nice art work in the game but not a lot of animation.

The music is quite good. Seriously, play this game while wearing some good quality headphones. Lots of woodwinds, strings, horns, even a harp. Probably some of the best music I've heard on 3DS. There's a lot of reading to do here but it's intelligent writing even if does get a bit over the top here and there. that's common for fantasy. A goblin doesn't shoot at you; it lets loose an arrow. Someone doesn't look at you; he stares a hole into your soul.

Don't expect overworld exploration. You get a map and when you want to go somewhere you tap it and you're there. You could look at it either as a way they cut down on production costs or its a time saver so you don't have to spend ages walking around figuring out where to go.

As for combat, your characters and the enemies are represented by miniatures like you'd find in a D&D game. Nicely drawn but the animation is mostly them turning to face the targeted enemy and leaning towards or away from each other as they attack or get hit. Dice rolls are generally used to determine success for some actions. For example, the first use of dice was to see if a character dodges an arrow (like a saving throw.) Another character uses them while meditating to see how much MP she recovers.

Battles have four main commands. Fight, skill, magic and item. You can target enemies or anyone in your party. After the battle you get barter points which can be sued to claim items like weapons or healing herbs.

I'd probably say the biggest criticism is that there is a fair amount of reading but I'd also guess someone into pen & paper RPGs wouldn't mind that. From what I've seen so far I am enjoying my purchase but I'll give a more informed opinion when I finish the campaign.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:56:36 AM PST
Oh, they're an 18-20/x2? I never use two handed weapons, so I'm a little fuzzy on their stats.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:02:55 AM PST
My Gnoll barbarian used a Keen 2 Handed Spear, and had Improved Cleave... oooooh it was fun to go up against a group of small enemies...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:21:28 PM PST
Yup, you get that with the monkey-grip feat and have one in each hand and you become a monster of crits.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:21:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 1:23:52 PM PST
If you're going to go with a Fighter built around dealing crits with a two-handed weapon, though, I'd rather go with the jovar, which is essentially a greatsword with 18-20/x2. You need to blow an extra feat on an exotic weap prof, but that extra 2 points of average damage blows up once you've got the high crit range, and you can just pour all your weapon-specific fighter feats into jovar after that.

I've got a level six NPC fighter with a +1 Jovar who does 2d6 + 13 damage with the 15-20/x2 with an attack bonus of +15/+10. She'd lose a substantial amount of that (especially in attack) if she refocused into a two-weapon fighter using monkey grip and oversized two weapon fighting, but I'm not sure I want to know what the crits would look like.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:21:59 PM PST
Wow, it's like nerds took over this topic. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:39:36 PM PST
And that's what I get for not being able to ever find the dang arms and armaments book for 3.5, not knowing this pretty toy was just sitting there. Any idea what the weight is on that bad boy?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:51:27 PM PST
It's actually in the Planar Handbook; I don't think 3.5 ever had an A&A, only 3e.

Full stat line:

Cost: 500gp
Dmg (M): 2d6
Crit: 18-20/x2
Range Increment: N/A
Weight: 13 lbs
Type: Slashing

It doesn't have any special properties listed in the description. Essentially it's just a heavy greatsword that's been "weighted oddly" in order to be more likely to crit; the odd weight being what makes it exotic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:56:48 PM PST
Sounds cool. How "Japanese" is it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:00:16 PM PST
Haven't picked up any Japanese flavor yet. If you didn't know better you could believe this game was designed by a Western studio.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:13:07 PM PST
I was actually gonna bump this until I saw people still takingabout tabletop games. I am perfectly okay with this becoming a permanent VGF fixture, or making a tabletop thread in general.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:14:47 PM PST
I am okay with that too. I was just trying to be ironic. (Since I am talking about a video game that pays homage to the tabletop RPG genre.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:14:51 PM PST
Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:16:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 2:17:46 PM PST
I'm kind of amazed DV hasn't been in here to complain that if she can't choose the path of the story, it misses the whole point of tabletop RPGs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:19:13 PM PST
I'm surprised at the general DV deficiency in this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:25:02 PM PST
That would be cool. Ever since my D&D group kind of gave up about two years ago, I haven't had many places to talk about it.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:36:47 PM PST
What I would like would be for some of us to get some virtual tabletop pathfinder or something going. It wasn't honestly until Nate started talking about his start of DM/GM'ing his first campaign in Pathfinder that I realized that there was a host of us on here who knew something about these games.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:55:25 PM PST
Going back to Crimson Shroud for just a second-

There's a cut scene where *spoilers*
A character reminisces about meeting another. He describes a scene where people had been hung for their atheistic beliefs and the stench of their corpses. A young, teen girl used her magic and set the executioner ablaze. The whole scene goes into quite a bit of detail. Unusual to see a downloadable title get that gruesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:14:01 PM PST
Well it may be because she doesn't have a 3DS? At any rate, I'm totally telling my Pathfinder group about this game. Half of them have 3DSes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:15:38 PM PST
And since then I've only run one session so far. Hoping to rectify that over the Christmas break. My bro and I go to our local comic/hobby shop every two weeks to play though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:16:12 PM PST
Intense.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:24:19 PM PST
http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdThread=Tx3HZF4X3IFTPR

Seems kinda relevant to what we're talking about, guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:27:07 PM PST
If you want but I had already edited the OP of this thread for tabletop gaming discussions.

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 5:51:29 AM PST
Game is fantastic. I wish it had more coverage.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions