Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Ten Best Post-Apocalyptic Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 91 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:20:48 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Gears of War isn't about fighting off a foreign invader... it's about being the foreign invader. I'm surprised one of the weapons isn't a cholera blanket.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:32:40 PM PST
Carlito says:
It's been covered by 2 or 3 other posts, all Fallout games were covered in Fallout...as a series...it's not that hard to understand, we're not trying to figure out string theory. And the Pokemon entry was hilarious

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:38:24 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Borderlands definitely isn't post apoc. It just takes place on a world where civilization goes to die.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:34:08 PM PST
Noble Seven says:
The world is NOT going to end and my favorite post-apocalyptic game has to be Fallout.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:36:33 PM PST
Really? So which ones don't make it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:37:25 PM PST
Good point about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:37:52 PM PST
Borderlands isn't post-apoc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:41:00 PM PST
It's a really nuanced story that pulls the less popular elements from American history and makes us question parts of cultural iden--

This machine gun has a chainsaw, brah! WOOOO!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:58:07 AM PST
Fallout 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Metro 2033
Rage
Borderlands 1 and 2
Singularity
Half Life 2 (more Dystopian than post apocalyptic)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:46:15 AM PST
The Borderlands games aren't post-apoc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:59:27 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Much more dystopian. Though of late I've heard some writers arguing that the idea of "Post apocalypse" is kind of dumb, since the apocalypse would theoretically wipe everything out. The argument is that instead we should consider ALL such works to be a subgenre of dystopian fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:04:19 AM PST
I like my genres like I like my women--neatly cut up into little distinct pieces that I can sort through easily.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:13:55 AM PST
"Though of late I've heard some writers arguing that the idea of "Post apocalypse" is kind of dumb, since the apocalypse would theoretically wipe everything out"

Nah, the generally excepted meaning of the word (aside from the religious implications) is that it is a all-encompassing cataclysmic incident which ends the world as we currently know it. "Post-extinction" would be silly, though :)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:21:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 10:22:14 AM PST
shiftless says:
Super Mario Brothers should have been on that list. Having everyone you know turned into bricks is pretty apocalyptic.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:36:33 AM PST
shiftless says:
I almost forgot about the best post-apocalyptic game of the '80s: the Great Old Ones have returned from the fathomless reaches of space. Mankind has been enslaved. You play Peter, a loner forced into servitude as a cook, preparing the over-sized monstrous meals for Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, and their buddies, while dodging the condiments that the Great Old Ones have mutated and set against you for their own cruel entertainment. Prepare yourself for...BURGERTIME.

Just don't ask what's in those giant burgers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:46:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 11:46:38 AM PST
"Super Mario Brothers should have been on that list. Having everyone you know turned into bricks is pretty apocalyptic."

Shhhhhhush! No one remembers that lore. Nintendo must have backpedalled on that after they realized that Mario eating a mushroom from a brick made of transmuted a Toad was the same as eating a fetus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:13:29 PM PST
shiftless says:
mind = blown

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:43:21 PM PST
G. Krein says:
replace pokemon with borderlands. series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:52:19 PM PST
DVvM says:
Is Borderlands really post-apocalyptic in any sense?

It's really less of a "everything was ruined" and more of a "wild west" sort of setting in which civilization comes to the wasteland and has to shoot holes in quite a bit of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:55:36 PM PST
G. Krein says:
to me the world was devastated and who is left is fighting for their lives. sounds post-apoctalyptic to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:59:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 10:03:38 PM PST
DVvM says:
I thought the backstory was that "corporations were drawn to Pandora because of the Minerals there, and then it turns out there was a civilization there were some ancient ruins with technology in it."

"Civilized people discover ancient ruins" isn't isn't really post-apocalyptic. The "post-apocalyptic" genre is about people surviving on their own world after it was ruined by their forebears.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:02:56 PM PST
G. Krein says:
what ev. still the civilization was devastated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:09:16 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Isnt it really more of a roughly colonized planet rather than the scene of apocalyptic events?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:13:04 PM PST
KrisCo says:
The way I understood Borderlands was that Pandora was a different planet and people came from all over to hunt for treasure. More so 'New Territory' than 'Remains of a Previous'.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:14:05 PM PST
G. Krein says:
tons of web sites call it post apocalypse
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions