Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Let's be honest with ourselves: Video Games ARE violent.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 122 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:02:51 AM PST
FOGE says:
Heart disease and diabetes are #1 and #2. These are largely preventable. But people are more comfortable chastising smokers than those who eat to excess.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:03:14 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
No, seriously, in some areas this is a reality. Girls would rather sell themselves or become strippers rather than getting an education or a job.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:03:27 AM PST
FOGE says:
I can tell. That may be normal for you but thats not normal for the whole country.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:03:47 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Isn't smoking also a risk factor for heart disease?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:04:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:05:03 AM PST
How exactly is music - in itself - responsible for this though?

I need specific examples, not vague references to rash generalizations.

"You are the exception, not the norm."

You say this with unbridled confidence. Can you provide me with a study or consensus which can confirm (empirically) that X amount of people who listen to [insert type of music] perform certain type of actions *because* of said music?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:06:25 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
In most poor areas where teen pregancy is rampant and people don't have jobs, what do you think they do? They can't afford video games. They listen to the radio and hear those people talk about how good their lives are from selling drugs and how doing drugs is fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:07:40 AM PST
FOGE says:
Never said it wasnt.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:07:59 AM PST
Well I don't think you are arguing the point well. Canada has fewer guns (in total, % of people owning them, and per capita) as well as more comprehensive gun laws.

Perhaps the difference in violence isn't the guns or the laws but a cultural difference but all the evidence you've provided actually would imply that guns ARE the issue as they have fewer guns + more restrictive laws and less gun violence.

Again correlation does not imply causation and the reasons for Canada's low crime rate could be free of those statistics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:08:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:08:20 AM PST
R. TypO says:
Sedentary lifestyles are a huge factor as well. Eating well isn't enough by itself, but it's definitely important to engage in safe foodplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:08:40 AM PST
OK i agree I wouldn't actually move to England but that's only because I love good food.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:09:28 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
The Mexican food is too good here in Houston to move to England bro.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:10:24 AM PST
Texas is another country I would never move to.

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:12:47 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Watch Supersize Me to see how bad eating junk food everyday can be. There are tons of people who eat out every day.

Any fitness instructor will tell you what you eat contributes to your weight gain and if you eat crap and still exercise, you are still going to be fat. Eating well can be enough by itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:13:02 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Haha,

We have had this discussion before, there's Houston/Dallas/Austin, then the rest of Texas.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:13:24 AM PST
I agree that gamers often have a reactionary "nuh-uh!" attitude to such articles. Games are violent, no reasonable person can deny this. That said, I do noy believe that games (or any media) can be blamed for a person's actions. In fact, I utterly reject the notion that violent media desensitizes people to violent reality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:14:52 AM PST
I like Boston because I can drive in any direction and still be in a civilized part of the country. Well I can't drive East, that's water and fish are hardly civilized.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:15:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:18:36 AM PST
Specific examples please. How do you *know* this is a fact? Right now you're just spouting off unwarranted generalizations.

A vast majority of people I'm friends with listen to either genre and none of them are in jail/in trouble with the law...Most have a college degree as well. Why isn't my observation the rule and yours the exception?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:16:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:23:07 AM PST
I guess my wiki info is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada#cite_note-6

"Canada has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world. There are almost as many rifles per capita in Canada as in the United States."

"Approximately 70 percent of the total murders in the U.S. are committed with firearms, versus about 30 percent in Canada."

My personal theory is that it's a cultural thing. And the fact that the media seems to only press on issues related to violence cause violence means good ratings which means profit.. It's all we see on the news these days. It makes us live in fear. I remember when all they did was cover Oakland shootings for weeks.

Fear equals profit and every big business knows this. Hell... you know someone is making profit on making bullet proof backpacks for little kids with the Avengers, batman, spiderman on it??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:17:30 AM PST
I fail to see the problem, they're suppose to be violent dingle berry!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:19:27 AM PST
In fact we just had our proof that we haven't been desensitized to horrible violence. If a silver lining can be drawn from the horrible event that happened it is that we aren't as desensitized to the horrors of the world that sometimes we think we are. Collectively as a country we stood together in shock and mourning, if only for a moment, because truely horrific acts still shake us to the very core.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:20:24 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Do you come from a poor area? It seems like the people you associate with have college educations which means they came from a little money or received scholarships or finanical aide and probably went to better schools or had good parents who moderated that stuff.

You can't say the media does not teach someone how to act when their parents are absent and the media ends up raising them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:22:14 AM PST
Fish are friends, not food!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:24:22 AM PST
I was speaking from personal experience, but yeah. You make a valid point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:24:53 AM PST
You say that but we all know that just a tiny little sent of blood will make you abandon that silly philosophy.

Even vegetarians eat fish.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:25:34 AM PST
Video games are violent.
So are movies.
So are books, including the Bible.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Steam sale: Whadya bouyin'? 62 38 minutes ago
Rumor: Activision bringing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron to PS4 according to Taiwan ratings board 3 2 hours ago
On the Kinsey scale of 1(lowest) to 6(highest), how Gay are you? 7 2 hours ago
OT: Conservatives Hurt the Economy Once Again: Global stocks tumble after Britain votes to leave the EU 14 3 hours ago
Need a new HDMI cord? Amazon is having a great sale right now. 3 3 hours ago
The M M Romance forum is on Amazon's most active community forums list, but the F F Romance forum is not 2 3 hours ago
2-Years of Playstation Plus $65! 32 4 hours ago
Why ReCore is a $40 Game 45 4 hours ago
Nintendo NX - Might Actually Go Back to Cartridges? 73 4 hours ago
Weekend gaming 06/24 - 06/26: Obama criticisizes publication of top fast food in conjunction with E3 conference. "We already have an obesity epidemic, the last thing I need is Phil Spencer encouraging people to shovel down Chick Fil A waffle fries." 38 4 hours ago
8 new games added to X1 BC 4 4 hours ago
PSN flash sale incoming today 74 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions