Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Silicon Knights takes a critical hit; ordered to destroy all unsold games using Unreal Engine code

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 1:04:44 AM PST
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/north-carolina/ncedce/5:2007cv00275/89570/862/

Page 41. SK has been ordered to recall and destroy unsold copies of Too Human, The Box/Ritualyst, The Sandman, X-Men: Destiny, Siren in the Maelstrom and any other SK product using Unreal code.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:22:28 AM PST
What did SK do wrong? Not pay for the Unreal code?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:28:21 AM PST
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/05/epic-awarded-nearly-4-5-million-in-silicon-knights-lawsuit/

"Case over. Jury finds for Epic on all counts," Epic Games President Mark Rein tweeted. The company later issued a statement saying that the court found Silicon Knights had "breached the license agreement, misappropriated Epic's trade secrets, and infringed Epic's copyrights in the Unreal Engine 3 code."

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:36:35 AM PST
Bulbachutwo says:
Hmm. I wonder if this'll drive up the prices of some of these games...

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:37:58 AM PST
Hmm. Was going to pick up Destiny some time, even though it is a crappy game. Guess I'm not now, maybe used.

SK is d00m3d!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:15:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 2:16:39 AM PST
H. Le says:
Before anybody feels sorry for SK, check out this article:
http://kotaku.com/silicon-knights/

And this is from the same dev whose head honcho, Denis Dyack, claimed that used games are killing video gaming:
http://kotaku.com/5897199/denis-dyack-claims-used-games-will-destroy-gaming?tag=silicon-knights

What a joke...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:35:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 3:45:23 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Nice. That's what you get for suing Epic when you make a crappy game like Too Human. Hahahahaha

Dyack, what a joke. Have fun in the unemployment line.

First it was the biased game media.
Then it was Epic's lack of support when they were building Too Human.
Time to take some blame for yourself, Dyack? Or is this the jury's fault?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:12:10 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Wow that sounds like pretty much the end of Silicon Knights. Too Human is a hugely underrated game, it's too bad we won't get a sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:22:13 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
I thought Too Human was a fantastic game. Flawed, yes. But very fun and original. Never played anything like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:23:00 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Hugely underrated M$ exclusive. got a bad rep because it wasn't perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:28:13 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
And admittedly because Dennis Dyack ran his mouth before it released. It has flaws for sure but it is nowhere near as horrible as reviews make it out to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:29:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 5:34:42 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's cool. I thought it was largely unplayable, and the only way to make significant progress was to "die" forward. It was also the first game that taught me that just because a demo for a game is cool doesn't mean that the game will actually be good. I played that demo hundreds of times, and I was eagerly awaiting the game, but once I got to level 2 it was over, that game took a nosedive. That game was pure crap, IMO. They craft a game where you MUST die, then they make you sit through a game over screen with the Valkyrie coming down to you, it was just unnecessary and showed that the game was completely unbalanced. Any game where you must die to proceed (other than scripted events like MGS3) isn't balanced well at all.

Then Dyack didn't even own it. He blamed the media for trashing his game, and said that it wasn't the game itself, it was just chosen by the media as a scapegoat because they have to balance out their yearly scoresheet.

Too Human is easily my most disappointing game of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:42:32 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
If you're dying that much in this game, you need to turn down the difficulty, just sayin'.

Also, this game is a loot-fest. Most of my friends loved Diablo for that reason and loved this game for the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:43:23 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
This has become a cliche at this point but sorry dude, you were playing it wrong. You don't need to die to progress though the game. It has a steep learning curve and doesn't really explain the various mechanics very well but once you understand how everything works it's pretty easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:45:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 5:48:22 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's what it was. I'm so dumb. I was trying to use a keyboard and mouse to play it on the 360. Jeez, all these years.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:48:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
SK needs to go. They were once good, but their last good game was Eternal Darkness. I have no idea how this studio is still around when there are studios who only get one chance and are out of business.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:50:31 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Honestly what you were probably doing is just running headlong into every encounter without paying attention to enemy polarities, enemy types, and status effects. Everyone does it when they first pick up the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:50:57 AM PST
Ice King says:
Speaking of Eternal Darkness, why the heck has there never been a sequel to that game? The best part was how it messed with you by doing all kinds of weird things. There's so much they could do with today's technology that would immerse you even deeper into the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:52:13 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
It sold poorly.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:25:43 AM PST
NCGuy says:
Everyone buy Too Human before its too late..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:26:29 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
If you buy Too Human, it's already too late for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:27:21 AM PST
Ice King says:
So? I want a new one, isn't that enough? Do I have to call the BBB?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:29:56 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
You have summoned Mallrat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:30:56 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I figured I would. I have a +3 helmet though, so he can't punch me.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:31:07 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Too Human was completely unbalanced.

I loved the game when I was playing as a Defender and wanted to break the disc in half and burn it when I was playing as a Berserker.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums
Discussion Replies Latest Post
Books on Sale 331 33 minutes ago
Who should I read next? 18 44 minutes ago
2014 Reading Challenge 85 3 hours ago
. 21 4 hours ago
So I have a giant bottle of Diet Pepsi... 1 4 hours ago
Fun is overrated 3 4 hours ago
Jenna Part Deux!! 5163 5 hours ago
DS/3DS Games for Adults PART 4 2533 13 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions