Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Anyone play Growlanser - Wayfarer of Time? Thoughts?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 8:55:10 AM PST
I saw it was on sale on PSN and thought about picking it up. Anyone have it? How is it?

I've never played a Growlanser game, will I understand what's going on?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:03:58 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I still haven't gotten around to playing:

Growlanser: Generations Deluxe

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:05:48 AM PST
I've heard it's more RPG with a strategy-ish battle system and less a "tactical" game.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:06:28 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Do you happen to know the sale price?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:07:12 AM PST
Maya Bach says:
Awesome game! It reminds me a lot of Persona 3 actually. And all the Growlanser games have stand-alone stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:07:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 9:07:56 AM PST
$14.99 on PSN.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:08:10 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Nice. I might pick it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:08:33 AM PST
I liked Persona 3's story, not so much the combat. Which battle system do you prefer? P3 or Growlanser?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:08:52 AM PST
I was hoping you'd have played it so you could give me your review :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:11:01 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Sorry, I wanted to pick this up at release but I was too busy with other games.
Here is a good article on the game:
http://kotaku.com/growlanser-wayfarer-of-time/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:11:22 AM PST
Maya Bach says:
Well the two are very different. You have full control over all your characters in Growlanser (I'm guessing that was your problem with P3?) and you tell them where to move on the map kind of like a strategy rpg.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:12:16 AM PST
Perfect. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:12:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 9:14:22 AM PST
Awesome, thank you!

EDIT: I like this part:

"5. It's tough.

Growlanser Wayfarer of Time is difficult! It's challenging! It ain't easy!

This is good. You will die. You will see the game over screen. You will like it. You will lose progress. You will beat yourself up trying to get your characters in better shape. Trying to make smarter decisions. Trying to be faster. You will continue playing and playing until you enter a Rocky montage. Motivational music will pump into your ears. You'll train harder than you've never trained before. And you will win. You will win hard. You will defeat those monsters. You will save those villagers. You will protect your friends and family. And you will lean your head back and scream a bloodcurdling scream, the type of scream that echoes through the caverns and mountains and leaves your enemies terrified. Terrified of your wrath. Of your power. Of your Rocky montage. You're the best."

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:16:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 9:16:56 AM PST
What is all this I keep reading about the art guy for the game? Something about the characters are all pulled from some of his cartoon... pr0n?

Visuals look great though. Definitely grabbing this.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:35:38 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Oh awesome, thanks for the info, I will buy this when I get home for 14.99. I have heard the game has some quirks that might annoy some, but is well worth it for anyone who likes old school JRPG's or SRPG's.

It will be in my backlog, but I will always buy games like these to support Atlus bringing over more good stuff.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:39:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 5:57:57 AM PST
***Minor spoiler alert?***

So I picked this up last night. I only played about an hour, but I can already tell I like the art style (hehe), the combat, and the story.

The characters actually have a little bit of personality as well, as I already want to help out Remus. I feel like the main character has an odd attraction to his "sister", which is weird. At least they aren't blood related.

Combat, oh the combat. I love the combat! It's semi turn-based, yet has a bit of strategy and RTS in it as well. It's hard to explain. It's real time with a wait timer while your characters move around the battlefield that isn't a grid. Range and (I think) line of sight plays into the combat as well. I really like it.

The story sounds pretty cool and I like that exploring and talking to other people actually gets you items. I found a few stones just talking to people before going into a cutscene.

Having dialogue options (that change responses!) is cool. I started over after 20 minutes to change my character name and tried different responses and it did alter the story slightly. I really like that.

The menu, gameplay, movement, everything is fast and can be fast-forwarded by holding circle. You can walk or run depending on how far you move the joystick. It makes some story cutscenes quicker if you want to skip something. Talking to townsfolk actually adds quite a bit to the lore and background as well, which I think is a huge welcome addition. Talking to random dude A. gives you more insight on why something is the way it is, so it's rewarding to talk to everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:51:04 AM PST
Thanks for the quick review Capt :) I was on the fence about picking this up (my Vita is currently sitting at home loaded to the ps store with this in the display... I walked away last night *laugh*) I already picked up a few things for the vita, and was trying to curb the purchasing on it... based on what you said, I'm going to grab it tonight :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:54:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 5:54:28 AM PST
If you want a great video review on it, check out Mark's review from Classic Game Room. Not the CGRunderground video, but the one from inecom or whatever the company's name is. He has fun to watch reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:56:25 AM PST
Haha me either. I don't have the deluxe version though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:07:23 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
How hard?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:09:16 AM PST
Difficulty wise? Not sure yet, only have a few battles under my belt.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:26:36 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I remember it only took a few battles in Growlanser Generations to make me rage quit lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:30:21 AM PST
Oh, well it wasn't too bad so far then. I'm going to put more time into it this evening and I'll hopefully have more to post tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:32:27 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Thanks for the review, I will definitely have to get this while it is on sale.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:13:19 AM PST
Geomancer says:
I've been thinking about this. I'm a turn-based guy though so the real time aspects of it dampens my enthusiasm.

On sale though, I may bite the bullet and try it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions