Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gamefly VS. Blockbuster

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 9:40:06 PM PST
[G.H.O.S.T.] says:
Hi, I'm Ghost.

You may remember me from such threads as "Prime Time Ghost I-III", and "OT: B00B-36DD - Infinite Booze, Bewbz, and Bacon."

Anyway, as a loyal Netflix user for the last 2 years, I've decided to give them up. I live in the sticks, use satellite internet (because cable doesn't reach where I live), and I can never get videos on Netflix to load anymore.

I'd like to replace Netflix with either Blockbuster's mailing service, or Gamefly's. With Blockbuster, I realize I'd get to rent movies, along with games (and it's cheaper), but with Gamefly, I have the option to buy any games I want to keep, and they'll mail me the case/manual/etc. in superb condition.

Which, in your opinion, has the better deal?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:41:54 PM PST
C.W. says:
Do you live anywhere near a brick and mortar Blockbuster?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:43:53 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
Depending on how much you play, I found gamefly to be painfully slow shipping wise. The one game at a time plan wouldn't be worth it. You'd have to go with the two or three out at a time plan to get your money worth. They also have free pc downloads as well. I haven't tried blockbuster, but have heard it isn't very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:50:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:56:02 PM PST
From what I understand Gamefly has a way larger selection of games than Blockbuster, which can mean getting what you want quicker.

Be warned though, from my personal experience with Gamefly they are not always all they're cracked up to be, at least when I was a member 2 years ago. They give you a postage paid envelope to send the games back with and when the game enters the postal system they are supposed to ship your next game out, so you don't have to wait until they get it before they ship the next one out. It just simply did not work as advertised because I wouldn't get the next game in my queue for a week or more after I shipped it back to them, and it was only going to Pennsylvania from New York. Being that I was on the one game out at a time plan that meant a week or more of no game, thus wasted time on my monthly subscription. I would recommend going with 2 games out at a time if you go with Gamefly, only sending one back while you play the other.

If you have a local Blockbuster store you might want to try them because you can return games and movies to the store, even if you had them shipped to you.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:51:02 PM PST
Just a heads up, Blockbuster doesn't let you rent new games online until they are about 6 months old. So don't try to rent a game like Farcry 3 til like May!!!

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:12:11 PM PST
[G.H.O.S.T.] says:
I'm leaning toward Gamefly. I had them once before, one-disc-at-a-time plan, and enjoyed it. I also see I can rent 3DS games, which is a plus as well.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:15:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:31:26 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:17:26 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
If you want primarily games I would go with Gamefly. Blockbuster takes forever to get new games. Gamefly also has a bigger selection of the older games. I had Blockbuster for a couple of months and they were horrible.

I have Gamefly and the shipping has been fast for me. The fast return thing works for me, they ship a game out before they receive the shipped back game.

I am currently on the 3 at a time plan and love it. I use it to see which games I like before purchasing them, I don't keep the games until I complete them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:18:02 PM PST
[G.H.O.S.T.] says:
Thought about Redbox as well. I can't get into town as often as I'd like (I'm technically disabled), so I was leaning toward a mailing service.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:27:43 PM PST
I can't comment on Blockbuster seeing as how I have never used them. On the other hand, I have been with Gamefly for a couple months now and have had no problems with them.

I guess it also depends on how often you will be watching movies.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:38:30 PM PST
[G.H.O.S.T.] says:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I used Gamefly for about 2 months once, and really liked the service. The only reason I canceled was because I owned a lot of games. That is no longer the case.

I was hospitalized over the summer, and at that time, somebody raided my game stash, leaving me with two games. Since then, I've replaced some of my favorites, so I could play on one of those while waiting for a game to arrive in the mail. I also liked Gamefly's option to purchase your rental. I wouldn't have to leave the house to do business with them either (I mainly only leave my house for medical reasons, other than that, I stay at home a lot.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:43:27 PM PST
Wow, someone took your games? That's not a nice thing to do to a ghost. Gamefly is probably the best choice if you don't have issues with slow shipping like I did. I think it depends on your local post office, and whether your package gets entered into the USPS computer system quickly. The option to purchase certainly is a good plus in your situation. I hope being able to play games again lifts your spirits (pun intended).

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:43:39 PM PST
From my experience, Gamefly's selection is a lot better, plus their turn-around time was much faster for me. I'm sure that the turn-around time depends partly on a person's location, though.

P.S. Thieves suck. Very sorry, dood. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:52:09 PM PST
That sucks man. Being hospitalized and having your game stash raided. Not cool.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:55:39 PM PST
Gamefly, Blockbuster doesn't get new games until late. I've never had any trouble with gamefly
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions