Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Top 10 Reasons to buy a Wii-U

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 5:43:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 5:44:57 PM PST
Homer McDuff says:
I'm a Nintendo fan, and enjoying my Wii U. It's not for everyone, but here are some things it has going for it. If these appeal to you, this may be the console for you.

10. Panorama view. This feature isn't out yet (early 2013), but my goodness look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5K4a_-tdY

9. Media Hub. It's handy to use the touch screen to search through Cable, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime videos. When Mii TV comes out, it will be even better.

8. Miiverse. The Wii U's online community developed very quickly into a friendly, helpful, and polite place where people share amazing drawings. It's decidedly different from the ultra-competitive, insult-heavy and profanity-laced communities you might find elsewhere. Again, this is a feature that for some people is a good enough reason to buy by itself.

7. Quality and Reliability. How many of you out there still have N64's that work fine? How about SNES's? This is as opposed to other console's owners, who are very familiar with phrases like RRoD (Red Ring of death).

6. Multiplayer. Nintendo's known for games that are a blast with a small group, and that even non-gamers can join in and enjoy. Nintendoland has several minigames that are awesome for this - especially Luigi's Mansion and Mario Chase.

5. Party of Five. The traditional 4 controllers, plus a GamePad, means 5 people can play at once. Not everyone will care, but if you sometimes have a fifth person who wants to join in, this can be a big deal.

4. I'll be over here with the GamePad. Unless you have a TV all to yourself, there will probably be times when you want to play but other people want to watch TV. Many (not all) Wii U games are designed so that you can play entirely on the GamePad screen while the TV is on to something else. For some households, this might be the deciding factor, period.

3. Family friendly. Major games not coming to Wii U are things like God of War and Gears of War - which are impressive, but I wouldn't play them around kids. Wii U does have scary/violent games like Zombi U and Ninja Gaiden III, but it has a great many games that are great for kids (or at least won't traumatize them).

2. The second screen. This offers so many things already, and so many possibilities, that it deserves another separate entry. You can play 2 player without splitscreen. You can use the touch screen to do things like assign blitz or hot routes in football games. Games can hide information from some players while giving it to others. Maps and inventories can be on here without stopping the action or clogging up the screen. It doesn't have as good a display or multi-touch like my Kindle Fire HD, but then that doesn't have a full controller with dual analog sticks.

1. Nintendo's Franchises. New Super Mario Bros. U is already out, and it's fantastic. And there's still a whole lot to look forward to: Wii U versions of Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Smash Bros., Mario Party, and many more (Rayman Legends also looks unbelievable). You won't get these on any other console or PC.

Nintendo didn't set out to compete with cutting-edge PC's, and that's probably a smart move. The next systems from Xbox and Playstation will likely be more conventional. Suppose they are equivalent to the best gaming computers from 2011. They will start out weaker than top-of-the-line gaming PC's, and only fall farther behind with time. Instead, Nintendo put its chips on offering unique experiences.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:53:17 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I can't comment on most of this since I don't own a Wii U but reliability? Can we really judge that already at just a month's time?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:00:00 PM PST
Homer McDuff says:
I'm basing that on Nintendo's history. Plus, it didn't take a month for massive amounts of problems to pop up on other consoles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:01:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:01:23 PM PST
I think he's basing that on the company. I've never had a Nintendo product break on me (except for controllers, ha ha). I still have my N64 and my GB SP just won't die and I put it through hell.

Edit: Ninja'd!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:03:54 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I have actually been one of the few people who have had bad luck with Nintendo consoles. My 64 broke as a kid(possibly because it was the family's though) and my Gamecube stopped reading most disks as well. They do have a good history overall of reliability but I would still say it's hard to judge a new system just off of that.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:06:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:07:38 PM PST
Great points all around. I especially like 7 and 3:

7. Quality and Reliability. "How many of you out there still have N64's that work fine? How about SNES's? This is as opposed to other console's owners, who are very familiar with phrases like RRoD (Red Ring of death)."

My SNES which is what, about 20 years old now works like a dream while PS3s get YLOD and 360s get RROD.

3. Family friendly. "Major games not coming to Wii U are things like God of War and Gears of War - which are impressive, but I wouldn't play them around kids. Wii U does have scary/violent games like Zombi U and Ninja Gaiden III, but it has a great many games that are great for kids (or at least won't traumatize them)."

This is a good a point, Nintendo has good games for all age groups. I'll never understand why some adults refuse to play games just because they're rated E.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:11:16 PM PST
[G.H.O.S.T.] says:
In my travels, I have found that some of the best games are E-rated.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:11:22 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
Number 9 is the worst, any electronic these days can do that.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:00:46 PM PST
I was going to agree with 7... Until I realized we have 3 junked DS's in my office.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:46:07 PM PST
And I have a DS lite that has a malfunctioning top screen, and a Wii that stopped reading discs and (twice) gave me corruption error messages.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:53:27 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Actually the early model Wii had a serious issue with heat. Many users who had WiiConnect24 on ended up with damaged graphics units, leading to artifacting. The N64 is considered to have a controller extremely prone to breaking in comparison to other systems.

But you know who always built a solid system? Sega.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:59:19 PM PST
Sorry, my Dreamcast got the "random reset" error.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:33:41 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Just goes to show. They all stand a chance of breaking at some point. My original Xbox bit the big one as dd my PS and my PS2. The Gamecube is still alive and kicking, and so maybe there is something to the Ninsoles being more durable, but that also might have something to do with less stringent requirements due to lesser hardware (in comparison to other same gen consoles)...dunno. Just wondering aloud though.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:42:23 PM PST
Ryan says:
I'm personally waiting for more titles to get released before considering purchasing a Wii U (Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros 4, The Wonderful 101, Luigi's Mansion 2, New Zelda Title(s), and some other titles). I love the Wii and all but after having a sour taste from the 3DS launch I'll wait it out for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:52:58 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Fair enough. All my Sega consoles since the Master System are alive and well. The only consoles I've had break in any way are NES, GBC, PS2, Wii, and 360. Perhaps I've just been unlucky in some and lucky in others.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:17:25 AM PST
aidenraine says:
only console I've ever had any problems with was the original xbox. the laser on the DVD drive sucked. it would constantly glitch when watching movies, and caused frequent load errors during games. if the DVD had even the smallest defect or spec of dust on it, it caused some kind of problem.

if there's one console I'm truly impressed with, it's the PS2. I beat that thing to death, sometimes leaving it on for literally days on end. this treatment lasted for 6+ years.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:50:05 AM PST
Homer McDuff says:
No doubt some people have had problems, but I've generally found Nintendo consoles to last a long time. Xboxes more than two years old, for example, always seem to work like junk. There are always exception, though. It's not exactly peer reviewed, but here's a fairly large survey on the subject http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results-2011

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:07:07 AM PST
All I know is my gc got ran over on accident once and it still worked. I'm happy with my wii U and in reguards to the 3ds launch, at least nintendo tried to make it right with the ambasodor program.

p.s. sorry for spelling errors

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:07:25 AM PST
You're not alone in having issues with the Wii.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:47:09 AM PST
Americo says:
7. Quality and Reliability - All Nintendo consoles are not pushing any boundaries when they are released hence they do not fail. It might be on par with PS3 and xbox 360 but they were released serveal years ago and its time to move on. If i ever buy a Wiiu is to play WII games. I do not want to pay full price for a game when i can get it on the bargain bin for other systems.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:34:31 AM PST
Homer McDuff says:
Americo - A major problem with the 360 RRoD appears to be because of faulty welding. It's sort of a stock answer to say Nintendos don't break because they're not using cutting-edge technology, but I don't think there's much connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:36:42 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
And besides which, there have been a few generations where Nintendo was technically supporting the superior console and their machines were still rock freaking solid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:54:21 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
"7. Quality and Reliability. How many of you out there still have N64's that work fine? How about SNES's? This is as opposed to other console's owners, who are very familiar with phrases like RRoD (Red Ring of death)"

This is a ridiculous statement, it's only been out a month. Lets see how it works in 2 years with a few thousand hours under it's belt.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:04:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 1:05:53 PM PST
Nintendo is the most reliable hardware historically. I have to put Microsoft as the worst given the Thompson drive issues combined with the RRoD. Sony has been known for some issues but nothing like the RRoD. Though I must say the Dreamcast is the only system I have ever owned that needed to be replaced twice. :)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:07:49 PM PST
Blake says:
Nah I'll wait for the XBox 720. The WiiU's game lineup so far has been pretty weaksauce.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Why Isn't the Xboner $349.99?? 47 4 seconds ago
the #1 reason not to buy a ps4 and to get an xbox one instead!!! 66 7 seconds ago
Why are supposedly "fair & balanced" VGFers quick to step on the Sonymite's nuts when he trolls, but ALWAYS give the Xbot that does the same a free pass or even a high-five? 167 49 seconds ago
Tropes vs Women author Sarkeesian vacates home following online threats 369 54 seconds ago
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition thread 480 2 minutes ago
My boyfriend and I are looking for some fun, co op ps3 games 32 3 minutes ago
Xenoblade announced for 3Ds 77 3 minutes ago
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Trailer 24 7 minutes ago
Costume Quest 2 PAX Gameplay Trailer 7 12 minutes ago
I feel like Square Enix needs to lower the price of Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition 26 13 minutes ago
Diablo III: UE Friend Exchange (even solo players should check this out) 54 15 minutes ago
Wii U and 3DS eShop Capcom game sale - 8/28-9/4 16 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions