Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Take this Jason: PSVita "One of the worst product flops of 2012"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 113 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2012 9:27:10 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I feel bad for any of the suckers who bought one of these busts.

"Financial blog 24/7 Wall Street has ranked the PlayStation Vita among the worst product flops of 2012, placing it alongside such disasters as Apple Maps, the Dodge Dart, and John Carter. Yep, this is going to be one of those stories. Strap yourself in.

"By the end of February, the company announced it had sold approximately 1.2 million units, followed by an additional 2 million units of software for the handheld game console," writes Samuel Weigley. "Yet sales quickly declined. From its release date to June 30, just 2.2 million PlayStation Vita units were sold, far less than the 3.6 million units Nintendo 3DS sold in just its first month.

"Recently, Sony has clumped sales of the Vita and its predecessor, the PSP, together to avoid highlighting embarrassing sales figures. Frequent complaints about the Vita were that the $300 price tag was too expensive and that its game lineup was both weak and small, especially given the availability of cheaper gaming through smartphones and tablets."

There's no arguing that the PS Vita failed to ignite the world of handheld gaming. Still bound by this idea it can charge what it wants and people will eat up the brand, Sony's arrogant refusal to compromise on price and insistence on coupling the Vita with expensive memory cards has bitten it in the ass this year, and it sucks, because the Vita is a damn good system. A system hamstrung by the narcissists in charge of it.

Whether or not you'd consider the PS Vita an outright flop is a matter of perspective, but it's had an undeniably disappointing run for all but the most deluded of fans. I say that as a big supporter of the machine, too. Its performance, in terms of pretty much everything since it launched, has been a letdown. The long wait between decent game releases, the pathetic software space limitations, the mishandling of PS One Classics, the general awkwardness and clunkiness of any extra app outside of the admittedly solid Twitter one -- the Vita has a laundry list of failings in a market where you just can't away with that shit anymore.

It's a testament to how good the Vita is that I'm still such a hardcore user of the console in spite of all these falterings, but at the same time, they cannot be honestly denied, and if Sony itself continues to deny them, then I think the Vita's status as a flop will truly be achieved."

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-one-of-the-worst-product-flops-of-2012--241462.phtml#UXkKdxId8QjJAmbD.99

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:31:00 AM PST
John McClane says:
I called it.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:32:19 AM PST
http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_t_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx101KKV3ZW3ST7#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:39:12 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
I think the problem is that the Vita doesn't have games that appeal to the majority of people. The Vita has some amazing games, Persona, Gravity Rush, Sound Shapes, etc, but these titles are for slightly more niche audiences. If you are the type of gamer who appreciates a good game no matter the genre, then there's plenty for you to enjoy with the Vita. For those who ONLY play RPGs, or those who ONLY play shooters, there are a few games that appeal to them and not much else. Well, not enough to justify dropping $250 on the console.

Also, the marketing is terrible. The vita is advertised as a miniature PS3 that gives you console quality experiences on-the-go. Well, the PS3 costs the same as the vita, and if you want to play "console-quality" games, why not just get a PS3? Then you could play legit console games. When I play a portable I want to play stuff like Pushmo. Games that just aren't on consoles and give me depth when I want it and a quick gameplay session if I am on-the-go.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:39:12 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
You hear that? That's the sound of all of the Sony apologists on here (AKA roughly 85% of the forum) running over to try to tell us all this is a bunch of nonsense.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:45:14 AM PST
Peter says:
Let us know when Microsoft puts out a handheld. Until then, I'll just have to be content with the awesome games I've got on my Vita. That being said, I'm actually playing Halo Reach right now, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:48:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 9:51:11 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:49:12 AM PST
There are no bad games, just bad gamers... :/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:52:27 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I actually think Microsoft is smart for not trying to get into the handheld market. If Sony struggles in it there is no way Microsoft would be able to complete at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:52:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 9:53:34 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Personally, "Cut the Rope" is a little TOO shallow for me. That's the sort of game I can hop on and play for a couple seconds and say, "okay, this is neat, I'm never going to play this again."

Needs to be a bit more meat on the bone. A match of Mario Kart or a Mortal Kombat while I wait at a restaurant for my food is just about right.

EDIT:

Also Angry birds. I downloaded it, play a few levels, and then uninstalled. Phone games just don't hold me like dedicated portable consoles do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:56:20 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:58:53 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Well, I can play Black Ops: Declassified with actual buttons and joysticks, so it wins regardless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:00:56 AM PST
Modern Combat 4 can be played with actual buttons and joysticks. Why does that count for Black Ops: Declassified but doesn't count for Modern Combat 4?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:01:40 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Oh, it's the same for me. I think for most "core" gamers, the smart phone won't be replacing the portable system anytime soon (more like a supplemental one at this point). I just think for a lot of people the portable systems were just these quick and easy time-fillers anyway, and now their phones cover that for them pretty well.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:04:50 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
i really hope the vita starts doing better. the system is great, it just needs some more software support.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:05:02 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:06:22 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
I thought you were referring to some crappy phone game that you had to play with the touch screen of your phone...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:06:27 AM PST
But those aren't the only types of games on those platforms, so that argument isn't really useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:08:30 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Especially for young people. Kids these days always pressured to buy devices like phones, and why would they spend $250 on a gaming console that pretty much JUST plays games, when they could have a phone that lets them keep in touch with their friends, watch movies, videos, and even gives them games to play. All for cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:09:21 AM PST
Modern Combat 4 can be played with touch controls if you want but it also offers controller support. Two days ago I played it with a PS3 controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:09:21 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
agreed. phone games are something i can play for a short amount of time. but a portable console i can sit and enjoy for hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:10:57 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Yes, there are platformers, tower defense games, word games, etc. Lots of different types of games. Most of these actually benefit from being played on a touch screen as opposed to buttons and analog nubs. I'm just saying that shooters are no fun when half the screen is covered by my thumbs, and the controls are wanky.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:13:14 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:14:24 AM PST
Ummmm.., the ZUNE! Nuff said

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:17:32 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
You're missing out.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  113
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions