Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U Bricking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 59 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:52:09 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Maybe he's a huge CoD fan, and thus not the sharpest tool in the shed.

/CoDcheapshot

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:57:29 PM PST
Know what I did while my Wii-U was updating? I changed the input on my TV and did something else. Had China Buffet for lunch, it was tasty.

Also Steam has helped us PC gamers adjust to downloading stuff so it doesn't seem like much of a bother at all. 5GB download? Ha! Try downloading the PC version of RAGE then come back and whine about downloads taking too long. I did it not once but twice! 25GB on my desktop and then again for my laptop. Deleted the damn thing off both systems too lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:01:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 8:02:11 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Downloading a game or patch is not the same as downloading a firmware patch though. If those fail in the middle it's no big deal, but if you're downloading a firmware patch that installs itself while it's downloading and it fails, you're screwed.

That's why even if it's not as big as a game or patch, it's a big deal because of the risk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:19:27 PM PST
Oh I get that and this definitely sucks for those without a stable internet connection, I just find it a little funny that people are like "HOLY CRAP 5GB!" yet to me the size of the download never really mattered because I'm used to major downloads all the time lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:37:53 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Now that I have a new gaming lappy I am starting to see that too. I'll probably be using Steam a lot more next year than I have up to this point. I can get about 3.5 - 4 GB per hour, which I guess is about middle of the road with today's Internet speeds. How is yours?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:40:41 PM PST
Yeah, that is an issue and there are certainly going to be cases of internet dropping and people getting bricked systems. And those people have every right to complain. Someone who pulls the plug because he doesn't want to wait and can't be bothered to do something else? No, that's on him. He should no better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:41:48 PM PST
Mine is about 1.5 MB/s average, sometimes up to brief spurts of 2.5 or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:45:47 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Nice. I wish I could get spurts of 2.5 MB/s, or even constant 2.5 MB/s. Mine usually starts quick for about 1 minute, then settles into around 1.2 or 1.3 continuous. The sad thing is it's been like this for a few years even though it could be faster because of new technology. Time Warner Cable just keeps it capped low unless you want to pay for a higher tier, even though they raise prices every year on what I pay. How about giving me more speed for the more money I pay TWC?

First world problems!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:54:22 PM PST
We pay for the higher tier with TWC and it still sucks @$$, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:57:12 PM PST
I'm usually around 2.2MB/s on average with Steam though it varies depending on where I'm downloading from and all. Also just remember that things could be so much worse for internet, I remember during my last deployment seeing an average of 25KB/s and I just weeping as I waited a few minutes for the Google homepage to load up. Oh and I managed to download Skyrim, Sonic Generations, and more using that connection. Those were dark times...

Also congrats on getting the new laptop as well! We'll have to get down on some gaming together sometime. Lord knows I already own half of Steam's library....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:00:20 PM PST
They are doing free expedited returns. As soon as UPS gets your broken Wii, they cross ship you a new one. So it will be gone for about a week, not weeks, but yes, your point still stands. I hope they send me an updated one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:03:52 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
I would switch if I had a choice. I'm not fond of TWC's service and price. I would love to get FIOS but alas it's not available in my area.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:04:56 PM PST
Is the 5 GB update mandatory?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:05:16 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Thanks. Right now I'm playing Supreme Commander and probably going to lose because of my turtling style of play.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:07:21 PM PST
P. M. Bego says:
Yes, I can confirm. I have one brick now. Luckily I had two pre-orders with different stores. (wasn't planning on reselling, just wanted a backup -- and maybe use the second as a holiday gift). My first one.. I started the update, about 1 hour in, power got accidentally turned off to the unit. It is now a brick. Second one I picked up today, hooked it up to a UPS to be safe, did the update again, took about 1 1/2 hours... completed successfully. Now I still need to figure out what to do with the first one. Hoping there will be some sort of "emergency boot DVD" they can send or something, but who knows. At this point, it doesn't seem that that they have even acknowledged the problem -- but I haven't scoped the net in the last few hours so maybe things have changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:10:40 PM PST
I didn't even unplug it on purpose. I unplugged my speakers. That caused a power spike or something, turned off everything on the power strip. Nothing else broke. The Wii U was plugged in, guess I just have a crappy power strip. Maybe I will ask for a UPS and a nice powerstrip for Christmas.

The first time the internet connection dropped out, near 10% it was fine. Then when the power went out near 30% it wasn't. I don't know where people are getting time estimates, mine never gave me a time, and I'm just guessing at the percentages, because it doesn't say those either, only a unitless bar.

I never would have tried to cancel it. But seriously, the Wii U should 100% download the update, before it tries to install it. That's just common sense. It should download the whole update, check the integrity with SHA-1 or something, Then reconfirm with the user that they really really want to install the update. Anything less is completely unacceptable. I hope someone losses their job over this. Imagine if NASA wrote software like this. Oh, we are just gonna erase the Mars Rover, send data at it, hope it gets there, and write whatever shows up to the disk and hope it goes over well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:11:16 PM PST
I'm guessing it will be just a few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:14:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 9:18:08 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
That's a poor way to patch firmware then. Especially when its 5 GB in size and takes a at least a couple of hours to download. The result (a lot of bricked systems) is totally predictable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:15:31 PM PST
Anything could happen. We have a faulty circuit breaker or something. Sometimes, we trip a 100A circuit breaker outside, a quarter of the house goes out, including the circuit that I have my Wii U plugged into.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:19:06 PM PST
Pretty much yes. Half the features of the Wii U will not work without it. No Wii mode, no eShop, no online play, probably means no Wii Data transfer, you name it. You can avoid it for a few hours, but you will want it eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:20:35 PM PST
There is no emergency boot DVD, at least, they wouldn't let you have one. You have to call them up, get a return label, send them the broken wii, and wait for a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:27:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 9:32:31 PM PST
Yup. Nintendo has their engineers come up with cute data transferring animations, and gamepad sync codes. They didn't make anyone program robustness or recovery features. Cell phones come with recovery partitions and they have download mode. Why can't a Wii? People unbrick phones all the time. They can fit the entire OS on a game disc with the game. They could have an extra FLASH chip in there that kept just enough files on it to read a new OS from a game disc.

Hackers have replaced the booting code on the original Wii so that it can reflash the entire chip from an SD card, making the Wii almost unbrickable. Surely Nintendo could have done that on purpose.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:50:17 PM PST
and this is also why an Ethernet connection would be better and why its should be standard!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:54:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 10:05:39 PM PST
dude...it even comes with Two (although one larger than the other) grey power bricks...lol

The Nintendo Wii U Pro Controller - Black (the X360 clone) charges just like the PS3 with the mini USB on top and much like the PS3, the WiiU does not charge the controller when powered down. And get this....it doesnt even work with NSMBU....! WTF!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:10:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 10:12:09 PM PST
If I were you, I will wait. some/many are having difficultly hooking up to their Wifi.

=========================
http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/77869

Re: Wii U cannot connect to WiFi

Ok so far heres what works, entering in everything manually.

1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"

2. Input your SSID

3. Input the correct security type, this is key.

4. Put your password in properly

5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".

6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig

7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"

8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.

9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".

10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8

11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4

12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy

13. Leave mtu as the default

14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10. Good luck
===================================

and folks this is why having an Ethernet Connection as standard along with the Wifi a good thing to have
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions