Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Is Phantom Pain A New Metal Gear Game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2012 3:52:52 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/12/07/is-phantom-pain-actually-a-new-metal-gear-game.aspx

The most talked about game at this year's Spike Video Game Awards show was The Phantom Pain, a game we were led to believe was being created by new developer Moby Dick Studio.

It didn't take NeoGAF users long to throw on their Sherlock Holmes attire to investigate this new game and its developer. What they found first was Moby Dick Studio's website, which doesn't offer much in terms of content, but does detail the company in its "about" section. Here's what it says:

Moby Dick Studio is a game developing company operating out of Stockholm, Sweden. Moby Dick Studio was founded by CEO Joakim Mogren who after years of working for a major American developer brought together people out of various game studios from around the Scandinavian area to start something new.

Our goal is to deliver an uncompromising, exciting and touching game experience to people all around the globe.

We will shortly be disclosing information regarding our first major release.

The CEO, Joakim Mogren, has an interesting name. "Joakim" is actually an anagram for "Kojima." Neogaf then dissected the footage, revealing many links to the Metal Gear series, including a scar on the protagonist's face that matches Snake's from Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The character emerging from the fire looks a lot like Volgin. The lines above the Phantom Pain logo supposedly also spell out Metal Gear Solid V, if you use the Metal Gear font.

We'll have to wait for confirmation to know for sure, but I have a feeling Neogaf uncovered the truth behind this game. My guess: It'll be called Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 4:58:17 AM PST
elect Tron says:
My friend who I watched the trailer with said it looked like a Metal Gear game right when the trailer started. I didn't put all the clues together. Pretty cool.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 5:29:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 5:34:24 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
So....if this is the next Metal Gear....which i doubt...Snake has a prosthetic left forearm with a hook at an age before prior games...

Does_not_compute_

Then again in Kojimas world, nothing does.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 5:35:18 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
If you look at the video or the screenshots it appears to be a MG game. Look at the topic on Neogaf. Seems real.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 5:37:13 AM PST
"Wake up" "Is this real?" All pointing to a dream state...

Could it be some kind of virtual simulation that Snakes going through?

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 7:18:29 AM PST
A friend of mine sent me a link to this video and said, "This is Metal Gear."

I watched the trailer twice. This is Metal Gear.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:58:28 AM PST
Ryan says:
It's Metal Gear guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 9:00:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 9:00:56 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I thought it was Solid Snake the moment I saw that mullet AND the camera was insistent in not showing his face until the end (at which point it still looked like Snake).

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:09:28 AM PST
It's a cool little mystery. It's a good thing they didn't air the original cut of the trailer because it really ruins the mystique. The last two seconds of the first cut was just a black screen and a nerdy voice yelling: "SNAKE! SNAAAAAAAAKE!" over and over.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:16:01 PM PST
Moby Dick studio eh?

Interesting choice for a name...

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:32:16 PM PST
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503254

It's Metal Gear Solid V everyone. Not only does it show the actual game title behind the name "Phantom Pain" which can be seen here:

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/6787/9d78i2st.gif

But apparently Konami had a VIP section (where Kojima was) with people wearing Moby Dick Studios shirts and Phantom Pain shirts.

Volgin can also be seen in the trailer (the one wielding the flames, his legs are the give away) along with the scar on the main character's face matching the scar under Snake's eye from the Ground Zeroes trailer/poster.

For those thinking that this is breaking the lore of Metal Gear Solid, Psycho Mantis is at the end of the trailer which would explain all the weird nonsense going on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:36:26 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
And don't forget the mullet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:39:31 PM PST
I don't see how that possibly has anything to do with anything.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:41:39 PM PST
Also I'm rewatching the trailer right now and the person at the end of the hall when they are escaping looks like a young Psycho Mantis. Just paused it and you can clearly see it's him, mask and all.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:42:16 PM PST
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/08/the-phantom-pain-metal-gear-solid-v

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:00:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 1:02:27 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Was pretty much all I needed to realize what it was. Whilst watching the trailer, I'm all, "Look at that mullet. Who else would that be but Solid Snake?"

Or as gamesradar put it - "The evidence is mounting--the protagonist's distinct mullet..."

Or Eurogamer - "...from behind his brown shaggy quasi-mullet...bear more than a passing resemblance to Metal Gear Solid protagonist Solid Snake."

Or Forbes - "From that angle, however, we see an iconic mullet..."

It is EVERYTHING. I don't need no hidden logo, cameo character, or fake developer. All I needed was that mullet.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:02:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 1:30:35 PM PST
Hmmm...the Foxhound people you fight against in MGS1 were once trusted special forces for the US, right? I guess it's possible that this game could feature a pre-MGS1 team of Mantis, Ocelot, etc. fighting for the good guys. The question is whether we'll see Solid Snake or his papa. Snake never met the Foxhound dudes before Shadow Moses, so if he encountered them in Phantom Pain it would screw up the continuity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:04:31 PM PST
"All I needed was that mullet."

I wonder how many trailer park/redneck girls have said this trying to be romantic?

There was a point when the trailer first started and the car wreck played that I though "Is this Kane and Lynch?"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:06:02 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
It's basically the "you had me at hello" for rednecks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:10:04 PM PST
I think the whole trailer is Mantis screwing with Big Boss. The thing opens with the white flower petals we saw in Metal Gear Solid 3 so I don't think this is the Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid 1.

The breathing in the beginning of the trailer really makes me think Mantis, you see him at the end of the hall standing there with his mask on, and then at the end of the trailer he's floating over the soldiers who just took down Big Boss (where we also see the scar under his eye).

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:13:33 PM PST
So there's 3 metal gear games coming up? Wow OK but what does moby dick studios have to do with kojima? New branch in sweden? Why would they not develop the next main title them selves? Who know sweds and the japanese were such close buddies? So many questions!!!!

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:19:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 1:21:06 PM PST
More questions!!! Snake looks young there so another prequal? Do all these games tie together into one super game? Why not make this a next Gen game? We already have two coming so there's going to be 3 metal gear games with in a year and a half? Will they bring this to the Wii u? Ahhhhsdrcgiuuytreure!!!!!! *Brain implosion *

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:23:48 PM PST
Moby Dick Studios is a fake company, there were no employees in attendance at the VGAs and there's nothing about them anywhere except a very bare bones site and a nonexistent CEO. Kojima is handling productions of this one since it is Metal Gear Solid V and not a spin off.

It might hit next generation platforms since they are apparently launching at the end of next year but right now the only confirmed platforms are 360 and PS3.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:37:37 PM PST
"The thing opens with the white flower petals we saw in Metal Gear Solid 3 so I don't think this is the Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid 1."

Well, that explains the title then. Phantom Pain is experiencing the pain of a limb that is no longer there, but feels like it still is. In this case, Big Boss' defeat of The Boss is causing him grief. I will wager that the first test of the MGS1 Foxhound team is to stop Big Boss from achieving some goal. I like Big Boss as a character even more than Snake (yeah, I went there) so I'm psyched if that is the case.

The timeline is kinda strange though. Will it happen after MG1 and before MG2 (before Big Boss dies in Zanzibar Land?). Will we see Liquid leading an anti-Boss kill squad or will Big Boss be in the process of corrupting Foxhound, leading to the events of MGS1?

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:50:55 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:36 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Texas mom got into an argument with her family, fatally shoots both her daughters in order to make her husband suffer 356 1 minute ago
Overwatch discussion thread 1759 6 minutes ago
Halfway Through 2016: Time for Another GotY So Far (Top 5) Thread 111 6 minutes ago
Is MS Headed for Another HD-DVD Fiasco? 197 8 minutes ago
OT: I'm Out...For The Next 10 Days 12 22 minutes ago
OT: Game of Thrones 27 25 minutes ago
Moar Free Steam Keyz! 32 38 minutes ago
PS4 is the only system that allows you to play "ALL'' of these 20 Promising Games still to come in 2016 33 42 minutes ago
Bioshock Collection Incoming 136 47 minutes ago
Long weekend gaming 07/01 - 07/04: Obama threatens UK after British Amazon VGF voices intent to "Brexit" host site in preparation for annual U.S. Amazon VGF July 4th invasion. Phil Spencer and Shuhei Toshiba sent to moderate negotiations. 83 50 minutes ago
OT: President Trump - Get used to it 297 58 minutes ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 4805 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions