Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Apparently Star Wars Episode 3 is Art?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:51:10 PM PST
I define art as "Crap rich people buy to shelter their money from the government". Is that right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:14:40 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I see what you're saying, but there is a difference. "Art" is the term applied to an entire realm of created works; "good art" is a subjective, individual label housed within that entire scope of "art".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:11:24 PM PST
DVvM says:
But just because something is terrible doesn't mean it's not art.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:01:18 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<"Seriousness"? The dialogue in that movie alone is enough to make anyone burst out in laughter.>>

maybe she watched it with the volume turned all the way down. actually that might explain a lot ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:59:25 PM PST
I kinda get that feeling. Alright I'll give it a try, why not. I know Yoda, I know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:57:16 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Actually, there isn't. Art is one of the few things in life that are completely subjective.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:56:25 PM PST
user22 says:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually think Episode I is the best of the three. Jar Jar Binks doesn't bother me as much as Hayden Christensen and no Qui-Gon Jinn.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:55:05 PM PST
Anthony says:
"I almost think she is using something that is not good art to show that the art community has gotten too snooty lately."

lately?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:53:38 PM PST
Anthony says:
someone's trying to boost sales by being "controversial".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:19:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 3:20:51 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Sounds less that she's commenting on snootiness and more about the art community just being filled with "yes men" or, as the better-than-us posters around here might say, "sheeple".

Which may be your point since that in itself can be a snooty position to take, ha.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:18:54 PM PST
Yep.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:14:26 PM PST
I almost think she is using something that is not good art to show that the art community has gotten too snooty lately.

"The long finale of Revenge of the Sith has more inherent artistic value, emotional power, and global impact than anything by the artists you name. It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise. It's like the emperor's new clothes -- people are too intimidated to admit what they secretly think or what they might think with their blinders off."

Sounds like she may be just making a statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:12:21 PM PST
Interesting...

The one thing I find so interesting about art is how works can either mean so much or so little to people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:10:29 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
To be fair, Episode III is MUCH better than either I or II.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:09:46 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Well, it's perfectly fine for her to believe that film is everything she claims. I just personally disagree with many, many of her points!

"Seriousness"? The dialogue in that movie alone is enough to make anyone burst out in laughter.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:02:38 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
i remember when Camille Paglia used to make sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:59:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 3:01:18 PM PST
The only episode I never watched. I was so frustrated with I & II that I gave up on the series - childhood Star Wars fan, even read the books when I was a kid...

I disliked the newer Star Wars so much I never even attempted re-watching them. I did watch a new hope, empire strikes back, and return of the jedi recently though. I guess I always did feel the 'universe' was ruined ever since those new additions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:55:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 2:59:52 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
It's a pretty easy argument to make that Episode III is "art" (along with pretty well every film, really), but "the greatest work of art in recent memory"? Yeah, that's a claim I'd love to read the full argument for...

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:54:19 PM PST
DVvM says:
There's a difference between "art" and "good art".

Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 2:53:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 2:53:17 PM PST
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/is-star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-a-work-of-art

Is Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith a Work of Art?
Famed art critic calls Episode III the greatest artwork in 30 years.
by Max Nicholson
November 29, 2012

In her new book called Glittering Images, renowned art critic Camille Paglia analyzes 29 works throughout art history. In the book's final chapter, she makes a rather bold claim in support of George Lucas's Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, calling it the greatest work of art in recent memory.

In an interview with Vice, Paglia was asked why she felt this particular film stood out among other artworks from artists like Matthew Barney, Rachel Whiteread, Chris Ware or Peter Doig. In reply, Paglia explained, "The long finale of Revenge of the Sith has more inherent artistic value, emotional power, and global impact than anything by the artists you name. It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise. It's like the emperor's new clothes -- people are too intimidated to admit what they secretly think or what they might think with their blinders off."

Indeed, Paglia continues, Episode III epitomizes the modern digital art movement, more so than other piece from the last 30 years. "I had considered using Japanese anime for the digital art chapter of the book, but it lacked the overwhelming operatic power and yes, seriousness of Lucas's Revenge of the Sith." An interesting choice to represent the emotional and visual power of modern cinema, no?

I finally finished laughing long enough to post this. If Episode 3 is art, consider me doubly happy I don't care for art.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions