Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Persona 4 Discussion **SPOILERS**

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 6:30:00 AM PST
Sorry if there is one of these already, but I haven't seen it. Plus, I figure if I created it, I could get the discussion to go in the direction I need it to more easily. ;)

I got this game about 5 days ago and so far have put 8 hours into it. To some, this is probably not much, but for me, its a good sign that I will want to continue playing.

I have a full time job and I also have a backlog which I believe is actually connected to the Great Wall of China. The fact that I picked this game to play and the fact that I am staying with it is a testament to how awesome I think it is.

I have Persona 4 on the PS2, but I really got into Xbox Live multiplayer right around the time I bought it so I never got around to playing it. However, I am kind of glad that I didn't because Persona 4 The Golden feels like it was made to be played on the Vita. It really feels like an awesome, console quality RPG in the palm of your hands. I am digging it something fierce.

Enough jibber jabber about that stuff though. On to in game content. I am not using a walkthrough and I am finding it kind of difficult to plan out what I want to do, yet exciting and rewarding. I haven't ran into any hard areas until last night. I got Yukiko on my team which was a long battle, but I made it. After that, Teddie tells me there is another strong enemy waiting in the area where I saved her. So, after a day or so, I made my way back into the TV and back to that area. It was a big "King" guy (a bigger version of Yukiko's Prince Charming). Anywho, my characters are around level 14 or so and he pretty much waxed my team in 2 turns. He seems a little over powered. I was wondering if there was a particular level I needed to grind to first and also what strategy (including any fusions) I should use?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:49:52 AM PST
He doesn't appear to have any weakness or at least I didn't find any within the time I was alive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:53:40 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I am pretty sure all the dungeons remain open throughout the game. You can come back later to defeat him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:17:01 AM PST
Well, its like I can't progress through the dungeon until I do beat him though. I guess maybe just grinding for levels would be enough?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:47:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 8:48:21 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
You don't need to progress any further in that dungeon. Continue on with the game, move on to the next dungeon and come back to him later.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:25:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 4:27:49 AM PST
Yea, you're officially done with that dungeon. That boss is a side-quest of sort. You also can't kill him right after saving Yukiko, unless you grind like a mother.

The strategy for him, I believe, is get a Persona that is STR or NULL in the basic attack (PHY) category. Level up your guys ( I think I was mid-20's when I confronted him, and it was still a bit challenging), and have extra revive items because you will lose people. After that it is a bit of luck, because he has been known (I had to look up how to kill him) to use Rampage twice in a row, which damages everyone on your team and seems to be extra strong. Essentially insta-killing them.

But you don't need to kill him anytime soon. Move on with the story and just come back later.

I'm about 32-33 hours in and I have a question of my own. The initial Persona you get, I forget his name, are you supposed to keep him (He stops learning new moves super early) or are you supposed to just fuse him to get other Personas? I have kept him all this time, but he's like level 13 and I'm in my 30's, so he's too underpowered to use.

**EDITED TO ADD**

Also, use PHY attacks on him. He uses a fire resistence shield I believe in the beginning of the fight, but it means nothing. It's just supposed to throw off a first-time fighter. Go for the PHY attacks and use your main to heal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:05:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:12:17 AM PST
Breeze says:
There isn't really any point in keeping your original persona.
EDIT: If you ever want to use it again, you can always use the compendium to resummon it.

For the OP: Talk to Teddie at the entrance (area with the TV's and a door to the velvet room) to move on to the next dungeon. Doing so will not use up any extra in-game time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:16:37 AM PST
Ah, ok thank you. I was confused because all your teammates keep with one Persona, but your toon gets a lot. Wasn't sure if there was a reason to keep your first one. 'preciate it!

Anyone watch the Persona 4 The Animation? I checked it out, it's pretty good and keeps well with the game. I don't want to get too far into it though, as it'll undoubtly contain spoilers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:26:06 AM PST
Admiral55 says:
Yeah, I couldn't take out the castle area King boss until I was able to fuse a persona that was mid-20's...I was level 5 in Fellow Athletes link so I got mad bonuses on a Strength type, and using him I pretty much sailed through that last encounter.

That being said, you don't have to get through that boss to advance the story further. All the dungeons are available once you save the person and add them to your team.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:58:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:03:10 AM PST
Well, I put in a few more hours just grinding away. I am actually surprised at how much enjoyment I've gotten from griding the same 8 levels over and over, but it has been fun. I love trying to see how long I can grind using only the HP/SP refills from the card game. I also enjoy the little card game too. I fused a couple of new Personas, favorite one being Orabas (the horse thing). He is creepy yet I love him! I went ahead and progressed the story a bit more instead of trying to beat the Castle King, but I have a feeling when I meet up to kill him again, he will be in trouble. ;)

I am at the point in the story where I saw a young male image in the TV after saving Yukiko. I can imagine who it is already. Can't wait to get more party members. ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:02:20 AM PST
OP says:
Yeah, a lot of the personas do look pretty bizarre, and it's probably safe to say that Mara is at the top of that list.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:08:03 AM PST
Breeze says:
Due to entering the television taking time, I only enter once per story requirement and hadn't considered others might not do the same. Once you enter again to save someone, the new dungeon will be accessible via Teddie and others via the others.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:28:16 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I am at 10 hours into the game with this being my first time playing the game and I am really liking it so far. I just saved Yukiko and have only done a couple of days after that.

Is there any point to entering the Midnight Channel before I have to save someone? Is it better just to focus on raising my social links up?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:40:37 AM PST
OP says:
Ideally, you would clear each dungeon in one go, and spend the other time periods working on social links or your own stats.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:44:46 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
OK, cool. I beat Yukiko's dungeon on my first day going in but I wasn't sure if I should bother going in again until I need to again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:57:18 AM PST
Social links definitely take a lot of time, with so many people to work on, their availability, and such. Also, don't forget to study and work on your Courage/Experession/etc etc. If you need money, you can always do a job (Which is nice because they usually help boost a stat) or you can jump into the TV and grind.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:28:14 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Thanks for the information!

Social Links definitely look like they will take a long time. I think the max I have reached is level 3 on 1-2 people.

I'm not sure when she is available in the game since I'm not that far but I heard Rise is one of the best characters to use. I guess she has an ability that can revive a character with full stats once a floor. Supposedly you can beast out with that by killing off your main character every level so he comes back with full stats again.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:33:15 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I'm loving this game. To me, it's doubly exciting to play because a) the game itself is just awesome and b) I revel in playing my Vita, because it's just that amazing of a machine...and playing something truly great on it makes it shine (unlike, say, Resistance: BS).

My question: How long does it have to rain in the real world before fog sets in and the game ends because you didn't save someone in TV land? I would like to plan out some sort of "free time" to build social links without worrying that someone's gonna die.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:39:04 AM PST
OP says:
I wasn't aware they had made Rise playable in the Vita version. In the PS2 version, she's just party support with the primary focus being enemy analysis.

Getting Victory Cry on a persona might be more useful than that Rise ability.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:40:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 7:40:52 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
It is usually three days of rain in a row. Later in the game it might be just two, but I don't remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:41:42 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I think the fog sets in after 3 consecutive days of rain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:42:59 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Oh really? I honestly have no idea since I'm not that far into the game and this is my first time playing. I just saw that mentioned on another forum. Supposedly using the ability(however you can) makes dungeons extremely easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:44:17 AM PST
Yea, they get quicker as you go on. It might not seem like it, but this game gives you a LOT of time to get things done. You probably won't finish it all in one playthrough also (There is a New Game + option in this game) but you'll be able to get a lot done, so don't worry about it. For Social Links, I'm 33 hours in, mid-low 30's, and here are my SL levels (With names withheld for spoiler reasons):

So you'll definitely be able to work on them, and my list is also after screwed up a bit... I thought that when it said "You are not close to reaching the next SL level with so-and-so" (Or something similar to that) it ment I had to wait for the storyline to progress before I could work on it some more. So I ended up wasting some time before I figured out how dum I am.

As far as Rise goes...

***SPOILERS***

She joins you eventually, but she takes Teddie's spot instead of being a playable character... At least that's what is going on so far.

****END SPOILERS****

I wouldn't recommend killing off your toon, because it means a game over. I'm pretty sure no one can revive you after death, even with magic like that. I could be wrong though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:47:39 AM PST
I think the rain is 2 or 3 days. However, it can rain for a few days, so long as it clears up before evening you don't have to worry about fog. The game does a decent job of keeping you informed on when time is running out. My suggestion is as soon as a new mystery pops up, jump in for the first day or two and knock it out. It shouldn't take you more than 1 or 2 tries, 3 at most. Then you'll usually have a week or two before the fog sets in to work on SL or grinding or whatever else... Like fishing 0.o

So you don't typically have to worry about anyone dying before you can save em, unless you absolutely ignore it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:52:11 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Hm, well perhaps I read it wrong. I will have to go back and read it again so I can make sure I read it right.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions