Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 2467 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:10:33 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Yep. I think most of us are rusty. I havent played in probably ten years myself. It'll probably only take a session or two for everybody to grow into their characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:26:56 PM PST
DVvM says:
I've honestly never played Pathfinder before, but I've played a lot of RPGs in my lifetime, and it's not exactly hard to pick up (it really is D&D 3.75).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:30:14 PM PST
Having very little D&D experience, I have heard this. From what you've seen so far, you agree with that assessment?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:30:50 PM PST
"I have been looking a lot into the alt traits, and I can see no reason the players could incorporate them."

Hoping that's a typo? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:04:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 3:06:00 PM PST
DVvM says:
It's very similar to the 3.0->3.5 transition. You basically take the old rules, leave most of it in place, try to fix the stuff that doesn't work so well, and add a few things you hope will be neat.

A lot of stuff in the PHB is more or less verbatim from the 3.0 PHB.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:08:04 PM PST
Sorry, it was. If there is an alt racial trait, feel free to use it since they all seem to be about equal but as a way to further customize your character.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:13:54 PM PST
Thanks. :-)

I was gonna say, my catfolk ranger grew up in a settlement in the woods, so letting him take the Climb bonus trait would make total narrative sense!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:16:29 PM PST
DVvM says:
If anybody is still looking for a character, you could be a male Witch with the "Prehensile Hair" hex, so you can grow your mustache 10 feet long with strength equal to your intelligence.

It's like that episode of "the Tick" except for the intelligence part.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:22:03 PM PST
Which book is that in? I just looked and couldn't find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:23:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 6:31:21 PM PST
DVvM says:
Ultimate Magic.

EDIT: Here's the text of the hex:

"The witch can instantly cause her hair (or even her eyebrows) to grow up to 10 feet long or to shrink to its normal length, and can manipulate her hair as if it were a limb with a Strength score equal to her Intelligence score. Her hair has reach 10 feet, and she can use it as a secondary natural attack that deals 1d3 points of damage (1d2 for a Small witch). Her hair can manipulate objects (but not weapons) as dexterously as a human hand. The hair cannot be sundered or attacked as a separate creature. Pieces cut from the witch's elongated hair shrink away to nothing. Using her hair does not harm the witch's head or neck, even if she lifts something heavy with it. The witch can manipulate her hair a number of minutes each day equal to her level; these minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments. A typical male witch with this hex can also manipulate his beard, moustache, or eyebrows."

I wonder if you have monk levels, if you can use your improved unarmed strike with your hair.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:26:40 PM PST
The one I don't have.

So are you getting any of the books or PDFs, or just using the website?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:29:11 PM PST
DVvM says:
PDFs. I have no more room for more physical RPG books without getting rid of ones I already have. I'm not kidding.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:33:42 PM PST
That is hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:34:49 PM PST
I believe you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:18:41 PM PST
lol. I'm just picturing what could be done with that and it's pure comedy gold. Also, if you think about it, that could be pretty dang handy in several different ways. Ten rounds/level of having an additional limb with a reach of 2 squares; just think about that for a bit and picture what can be done.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:45:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:54:59 AM PST
Usually 3.5 books would tell you if that were the case, so I'd imagine Pathfinder would, as well.

@Capt.
Sorry to ask again, but just in case you missed it, could you send me the Vent info? (zmyouken@gmail.com)

@Everybody.
Could we get a sound off on where we're leaning with classes now? I'm just going to list the last things I heard from people. Correct me if you've changed your minds or anything, and sorry if I missed you.

DVvM: Changeling monk
Nate: Catfolk ranger
Peter: Oracle
Evan: Half-orc paladin
Guest: Wizard of some kind?
Capt: Cleric

I'm between five right now: a vishkanya deadly courtesan, an undine adept, an oread heretic, a sylph ninja, and an ifrit seeker (though since Peter's already playing an oracle, I'll probably skip that one).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:52:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 7:53:19 PM PST
DVvM says:
Can anyone heal? It's my experience that unless the GM makes significant allowances (like pairing the party with an NPC who knows "Cure Light Wounds"), parties in which nobody is really a competent healer tend to result in somebody having to roll up a new character quickly, which is frequently a competent healer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:22:19 PM PST
Oracles are spontaneous divine casters, though it's possible that Peter's not looking to play a healbot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:33:03 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
I will if nobody else chooses a healing class, but I think I may choose a more debilitating curse for my oracle if that is the case, just to make it more interesting, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:34:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 8:36:03 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, it's D&D, not WOW. You can do all sorts of other things as a cleric, but sometimes it's handy to have someone who can cast CLW after combat.

I mean, I usually play Dwarven Clerics as heavy combatants. You're a high HP caster who can wear heavy armor and use real weapons! High level Dwarven clerics with "Heal" have historically been among the hardest targets in the game since 3e. (I once had one with over 200 HP and an AC in the low 40s.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:42:49 PM PST
If you'd rather not healbot and nobody else steps forward, I don't mind playing my seeker or adept, though we're also missing a skill fiend right now; my seeker might be able to sort of deal with both roles, since seekers get disable device, can disarm magical traps, and get a form of trapfinding, though the skill points per level are a little low.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:45:59 PM PST
DVvM says:
I'm into this character, but I also love high INT rogues, so I can always try to come up with something.

The "Master Spy" prestige class (for rogues) is kind of kickass.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:48:36 PM PST
God, I haven't even started to look at the prestige classes yet. I haven't had this many new classes to look at at one time since I started playing D&D.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:54:27 PM PST
Actually, inquisitors get some pretty good healing options, too, and have a 6 + Int skill point gain. My heretic would never be as good as a dedicated cleric since she doesn't get higher level spells as fast, and things like mass cure critical wounds, mass heal, and greater heal aren't in her spell list, but she'd be decent.

It doesn't look like there are any inquisitor options that grant access to trapfinding or disarming traps, though, so the seeker may still be a better idea if we wind up without either a rogue or a dedicated healer.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:43:07 AM PST
My last character was a cleric with levels in the inquisitor prestige class (this was back in 3.5). He dispeled magic and countered spells like a fiend. I wouldn't mind terribly having to play a cleric again. They're not the boring heal-bots they were in 2nd edition (mine had +1 to longsword attack rolls because of his god and ended up fighting quite a bit).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  2467
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions