Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I played my first MMORPG over the weekend - Guild Wars 2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 115 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 8:26:07 AM PST
This if my first real foray into the MMO world. So far so good. I picked a Norn Necromancer and set off. So far, I don't think I've encountered any other real players such as myself, but I have been just running around questing in my home area. Pretty fun, but still trying to get the controls down. Always been a console gamer so using a mouse and keyboard is a little different.

For you Guild Wars 2 vets, anything I should know early on?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:29:04 AM PST
G. Krein says:
Most people are doing the holiday events i believe. So most people will be around the 'main city' Lions Arch. Some new players you might see. But it is the best MMO currently out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:30:22 AM PST
Just have fun. You can do what you what, when you want, and you'll probably get experience for doing it.

Depending on the server you chose the starting areas might be pretty barren. You'll start to see more people as you venture out farther into the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:30:59 AM PST
I think Tixx is still moving from place to place. He was at the Grove and then Divinity's Reach. I think today he's at the Black Citadel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:32:01 AM PST
Well, every server I had the option of choosing was either Full or Nearly full. I am not worried about meeting people, just didn't know how the game really flowed.

I am enjoying the events. That got some pretty good ones. The fact that Norn are down with animal spirits is cool too. I love playing with bear cubs, wolf pups, leopard kitties...so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:34:08 AM PST
G. Krein says:
AH I was just guessing, Last holiday was more in Lions arch. I gotta get on and do the holiday content, thanks for the heads up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:34:26 AM PST
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

You'll definitely see more people around you once you head into the middle of the starter areas. I think most people in the norn starter area are in the northern snow parts. You'll make it up there as you go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:35:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:36:02 AM PST
There's always a crowd at LA though, hehe.

The holiday events are a blast, but the dungeon must be done daily to get enough loot to craft a holiday mini.

I wanted to craft a Foostivoo mini santa quaggan, but it would cost me about $10-20 in cash to buy enough holiday presents for the minis.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:43:02 AM PST
ChuChu Train says:
What I found in this game is you're going to have to jump to different starting areas because eventually you get to a point where the next questing area is too difficult (at least in my experince). I haven't played it awhile go to ~lvl 30 engineer I think. I have too many games to play atm. I was thinking the game would empty out fast once every one leveled up. I liked exploring around and competely each map 100% reminded me of AC how it reports how much is left in the area to do.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:49:18 AM PST
Guild Wars 2 is also my first MMO. I'm a level 16 Norn Guardian (Banish with the hammer is hilarious). I see people all the time in the northern Foothills. Don't go until you're a level 12 though, it's brutal up there.

I've been having a lot of fun doing dynamic events. It's nice to see strangers come together to kill the Ice Drake Broodmother or protect the merchant from the Sons of Svanir. There were no less than 12 players in one dynamic event that required us to defend food sacks from the dredge. We absolutely demolished the dredge. It was total chaos, but fun.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:53:00 AM PST
Coffee says:
I really need to get back in and play this game again. With MMOs I have a terrible tendancy to develope "alt-itis," and I swear I have re-made the same character about 4 times now. Can never truly decide on a main, and as such, my characters get to about level 18 before I hit burn-out on them and start a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:56:13 AM PST
I hear you. I have an 80 thief, a 29 guardian, a 23 elementalist, and my new "main", a 28 mesmer. I think I'm going to stick with the mesmer and guardian for my light / heavy armor users.

Probably going to main the mesmer. Their condition removal is on par with the guardian, although they aren't as beefy. The problem is everyone and their mother have a guardian. I have a thing about playing the same character as everyone else.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:58:00 AM PST
This is a PERFECT MMO to start out on IMO, since it blends some really fun action with a very simple and easy-to-learn interface and skillsets (but still tough to master!). I've been loving the holiday events, as a fan of music games the bell choir game is really really fun, and I also enjoy the varying missions that Tikk has had so far. Just lovin' this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:20:36 AM PST
Coffee says:
I started with a Mesmer, actually. Loved them in the first Guild Wars, but just couldn't stick with them long enough in 2 to really get the hang of it. Something about Clones just irritates me, and I've never really stuck with one long enough to put enough talent points in to make them worth while.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:23:04 AM PST
I went for a shatter build and just slot a few clones and a signet to reset my shatters.

Then I just summon, shatter, summon, shatter, reset, repeat.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:24:17 AM PST
Great game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:25:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:26:50 AM PST
You're missing some awesome holiday events :D

You get different rewards each day you complete the dungeon to make minis. The combined craftable mini is a quaggan with a santa hat. 3x winter minis + 50 wads of stuffing = Foostivoo.

I want.

And the jumping puzzle isn't bad either. I finished it on my fourth or fifth try.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:27:03 AM PST
I just told my wife about the mini...I think she wants on.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:27:16 AM PST
Good grief Capt! You don't fool around do you!?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:27:42 AM PST
User says:
Maybe everyone has a Guardian because they are awesome. The elementalist didn't do it for me, might've just been the Sylvari in general. I started a Norn Ranger (got it to 30) because I wanted to use a bow and a pet, and ended up using a greatsword the whole time.

The Guardian is the first character to really pull me in.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:28:17 AM PST
Lol, this game is a blast. There's just sooooooo much to have fun with.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:30:38 AM PST
They are awesome, but they're also seriously overpowered (in my opinion) compared to other classes.

As my guard, I can kill a group of 4-5 enemies +1-2 levels above me.

As my mesmer in similar gear at similar level, I'm lucky if I can kite them long enough to let conditions whittle them down in 3 times the time, hehe.

My thief kills pretty quick though. I swapped around some abilities and traits to clear conditions periodically and my bow has a 60% chance to remove a condition on critical. That thing is invaluable in dungeons.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:33:36 AM PST
If you plan on buying dyes, don't grab the super expensive ones. You can get 'Blue Ice Dye' extremely cheap and it is a fairly bright white color. You can also continue to use 'Ebony' (starting dye) for a darker black. Unless you're standing around in L.A. for people to take pictures of your character for some strange photo-op, most people won't know the difference between the dyes.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:35:29 AM PST
Regarding Guardians, do you know when I can get different armor? Like different-looking armor? I keep getting chainmail armor and it looks so ugly. Looks like it was stapled together.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:41:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:42:44 AM PST
I think you can equip different looking armors at level 15, 25, 40, 60, and 80.

I need to craft the Gladiator armor set for my Norn. I really like the look of that one. I think you can make it at armorcrafting 125.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions