Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

DS Rpgs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 5:09:44 PM PST
Bitchie says:
What are some good RPGs for the DS (not 3DS)? I'm looking for something for my kid for Christmas. She's better at games on the simpler side. She enjoys games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia, stuff like that.

I tried her out with one of the Etrian Odyssey games, but the mapping parts were too complex for her, she has quite a few learning problems. She's also no good thus far with strat-rpgs like FF Tactics, so that type is out as well.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:15:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:18:13 PM PST
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is fairly easy as RPGs go. Dragon Quest V is awesome but a little challenging. I'm a big fan of The World Ends With You. Nostalgia is simple but kind of neat. Also look into the Tales of and Devil Survivor games. Maybe Radiant Historia.

If she likes funny RPGs go for Mario & Luigi games.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:18:08 PM PST
aidenraine says:
nostalgia
golden sun: dark dawn
sands of destruction
glory of heracles
black sigil
pokemon

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:19:26 PM PST
Aku says:
The World Ends With You is so difficult that some adults prefer the gimped iOS version with half the gameplay missing, not sure a kid could handle it. And Devil Survivor kicked MY ass.

Perhaps Advance Wars or Fire Emblem would work.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:19:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:20:45 PM PST
Hell Etrian Odyssey has been tough on me! Lol. I'd advise you to pick up the excellent Nostalgia which is old school but lots of fun. I also think Solatorobo is a blast, but it's practically not a RPG (it's very actiony). I'll second The World Ends with You as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:20:54 PM PST
The World Ends With You has a setting where the CPU manages the top battles so the player only focuses on the bottom. My niece played through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:22:29 PM PST
Aku says:
True, I suppose. If you leave the level slider alone you probably can breeze through it. Still yet though, that's a LOT of strategy to digest for a kid. Which reminds me, digestion is part of that strategy as well.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:22:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:23:12 PM PST
Horowitz says:
I'll add Avalon Code, Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow, and Away: Shuffle Dungeon.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:23:47 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Thanks, now lets hope I can find some of these by Christmas!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:25:59 PM PST
I suggest getting all of the Dragon Quest games currently under $20 here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:38:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:47:33 PM PST
Bitchie says:
I think she actually has all the regular series DQ games on DS- 4, 5, 6, & 9, is that it?

I really wish she could manage the PSP, but she has to play one handed, and it's too hard for her to stretch her hand that far across and balance it on her lap all at once. And the only console game she's ever really cared to play is Little Big Planet 1&2, and Super Smash Bros.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:48:53 PM PST
Anthony says:
"She's also no good thus far with strat-rpgs like FF Tactics, so that type is out as well."

damn, i was going to recommend the Fire Emblem games. they kick ***. and i wish that they'd port the first 6 onto the DS with an english translation. they are made by the same company that makes Advance Wars (think chess with tanks, artillery, and bombers).

maybe Pokemon or Golden Sun?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:51:26 PM PST
Bitchie says:
She has most of the Pokemons, and I think the Golden Sun one too.

We have LOTS of DS games scattered around here, lol, which is why I'm hunting ideas!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:20:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:23:43 PM PST
I'll try not to suggest any you've already said she has:

* Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 1 & 2
* Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
* Away Shuffle Dungeon
* Contact
* Atelier Annie
* The Wizard of Oz
* Rhapsody
* Nostalgia
* Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow
* Avalon Code
* Glory of Hercules
* Zubo (RPG/rhythm hybrid)
* Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
* Summon Night: Twin Age
* Magical Starsign
* Mario & Luigi series

If she has a DSi, she might also enjoy Foto Showdown, but it won't work on a regular DS.

Edit: Took off Golden Sun since you mentioned she has that and added a couple of others that came to mind. :)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:25:22 PM PST
Horowitz says:
Definitely loved Contact and The Wizard of Oz. Contact gave me an Earthbound vibe. Wizard of Oz was surprisingly well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:27:18 PM PST
Yeah, I was shocked by how much I enjoyed The Wizard of Oz, especially since I'm not the biggest fan of the film. It's one of the prettier looking DS games, IMHO, and I just found it charming in general.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:31:37 PM PST
Ok, I'm ordering Wizard of Oz. For some reason I get flashbacks to the SNES game but if people say the DS game is good...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:33:23 PM PST
Well, a large part of the EO charm is that it's as unforgiving as the games that it's inspired by (Wizardry, etc.)

It's good that someone is making RPGs that aren't for the fainthearted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:37:29 PM PST
"RPGs that aren't for the fainthearted"

*flashbacks to The Dark Spire; trembles with a combination of terror and joy*

I love EO too, though I can definitely see how it could be too complex for a younger/intermediate player.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:40:31 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Thanks!

We have Lufia, for some reason, she didn't care for it. I tried to find The Wizard of Oz for her birthday, but no luck. I think we also have one of the DQ Monsters and Rocket slime.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:03:51 PM PST
Well, it's not significantly more complex than the Wizardry games I played when I was a wee one in elementary school. It's just that today's youth did not grow up with games that used difficulty as a means of extending play time (the classic "nintendo hard") and may be more intolerant of punitive failure as a result. I mean, when I was playing "The Proving Ground of the Mad Overlord" I had to figure out on my own that I should make maps on graph paper.

So I'd give it to a smart, patient kid. But today's video games don't really equip you for dealing with a beast of this nature.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:06:01 PM PST
I think possibly the best RPG to hand a kid in order to convince them to love the genre is probably Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride. It wasn't initially released in the U.S., but is quite possibly the high point of the series and possibly the entire JRPG genre. It's also one of the friendliest games of all time (especially the DS re-release which increases gold and XP gain from combat so you don't need to grind very much/at all.)

If your kid hasn't played that one, I think she would really like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:13:14 PM PST
Anthony says:
well, i know there's two pokemon games that came out this year. Black 2/White 2 and Conquest (which is a strategy game, and a crossover with an obscure series from japan.)

this would be a lot easier if i actually remembered where i have my DS and DS games stashed, lol. when i've gotten the urge to play handhelds recently i've been sticking with the GBA for the most part.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:26:07 PM PST
Dude....golden sun! If u don't buy her that...Christmas is ruiend!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:55:53 PM PST
You can't go wrong with the Mario & Luigi RPGs on DS(Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story). Both are very fun, some challenge and funny dialogue.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions