Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

My PS3 finally broke

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 4:49:30 AM PST
Well, gamer friends. Yesterday it finally happened after having a 20 gig launch unit for all this time. My ps3 broke on me yesterday. Everytime I try to start it up it dies. I tried repairing the database and the harddrive but it still freezes.

Does anyone know anything else I can try or should I just make the call to Sony? I am not too worried about my save data. Everything important to me is backed up on the cloud already and I have the rest of my saves backed up from a few months ago. However, I would like to keep my system.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:53:20 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Sony isn't going to do anything for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:54:46 AM PST
When it turns off/freezes does the light turn yellow? If not there is a chance that all you have to do is reformat it... and to do so you have to hold down the power button for a certain amount of time until a debug menu pops up.

If you can't get that far however, then you may need to A. Send it into Sony to get a replacement (about 150$) or buy a new one (about 250$) that will have a bigger HDD... though no Backwards Compatibility.

I know how it feels, I had my PS3 break as well and had no choice but to get a new one, the replacement sony sent me sounded like a jet taking off, then it overheated. 150$ down the drain there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:58:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Do you really think that if he sends it to Sony he'll be able to get a console that has backwards compatibility? I highly doubt that. OP, I think you're better off just buying a new system. The 250gb console has some pretty good deals, and if you don't want a super slim, then the PS+ (full year sub included) 320gb slim model is on sale for $250.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:01:09 AM PST
I doubt doubt it, My BC system broke, and they sent me the same model. Not that it did any better, but it was still BC.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:01:46 AM PST
M. says:
YLOD

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:03:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:07:38 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Are you getting an 'Error Code 4321MerryX-mus0beeXotch' ?

That just means Mother Sony wants you to pay your dues.

Good thing you are backed up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:05:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:06:22 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Wow, that's cool. I didn't think they would do that.

But if it costs $150, I'd rather just buy a new one with a bigger HDD.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:11:16 AM PST
I get no error codes or yellow lights. The system turns on like normal, however before XMB starts it freezes. I have been able to make it to the XMB twice, but then it freezes in the menu.

Trying to convience my wife to let me buy another PS3 is going to be a very hard sell. The main problem is that she knows that the new sony and microsoft system is coming out next year. Since we just got the Wii U and my 360 slim has been working fine, she could tell me to just suck it up. I don't even really know if it would be alright to get it repaired, but it would be a better sell than buying a new system.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:11:23 AM PST
Good Choice.
Get it repaired - dont replace it.
These backward compatible units are gold.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:28:21 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
This is who I used when my 80GB got the YLOD...http://www.gophermods.com/

3 months now and still working good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:31:34 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I think a cheap way to take a gamble is to buy a new hdd ...maybe your HDD is the culprit?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:44:33 AM PST
My 80GB fat PS3 (came out right after the 80GB MGS bundle) is still running strong. Along with my 320GB Uncharted 3 slim bundle console.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:54:41 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Have you tried ALL the options in the boot menu? Pop out the hard drive and pop it in again?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:00:02 AM PST
OK. I will try to pop it out before I reformat it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:52:12 AM PST
yeah I was kinda wanting that BC... silly me. I should have realized I honestly don't need it anyway.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:54:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:57:37 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Welcome to the club, it was really only a matter of time though.

Sony will "Fix" your system for $129 (give you a refurb the have sitting around). If you actually talk to a Sony CSR they will probably try to sell you on a new slim system and talk circles around the how the old models will all inevitably fail due to heat dissipation design issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:58:48 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Try everything before you give up on it. Mine had issues because it froze once while it was accessing the hard drive. I was able to fix it through one or more of those menu options and I didn't lose any data. I also popped out the hard drive and blew out some dust in the process. No problems since.

My dad's older PS3 also had issues. It took a while but we kept trying different things in the boot menu and eventually got it working again.

As long as you can still get to that boot menu, there's a chance it isn't completely broken.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:59:08 AM PST
Actually when I got mine fixed/switched, they never tried to sell me a slim.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:01:21 AM PST
M. McFly says:
eh i would just wait till the ps4 releases. Spending $250 now then having to dish out another $400 in 11 months, screw it

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:08:23 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
I didn't with my first one (launch day 60GB), probably because I just used the website. When the replacement died a little after a year after they sent it to me, I actually called in for support. It was the Sony rep I talked to that literally told me to just upgrade to a slim, as the older models will all eventually have the same fate.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:09:19 AM PST
Looks into getting it reballed, not reflowed. Try endlesselectronics.org or ps3repairman.com. They'll reball your PS3 with a leaded solder instead of the lead free that Sony & MS use now. Lead free solder is the reason most of these consoles have heat dissipation issues in the long run.

Don't send it to someone to be reflowed or reballed unless they'll use leaded solder. It's not worth the money otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:09:53 AM PST
Hmmm interesting.

Well PS3 still has a better track record than Xbox360s.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:11:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 7:12:49 AM PST
Here: http://ps3repairman.com/ps3-repair-services/ps3-reballing-service

This explains a bit about why reballing w/a leaded solder is better than lead free or reflowing.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:15:23 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Your PS3 broke? Man what a coincidence, so did Sony! ha ha ha
*hides in a corner*
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions