Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Nintendo sold 1.2 million systems last week

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 10:00:16 AM PST
The Wii U and Wii numbers don't surprise me but it seems like this was a slow Black Friday for Nintendo handhelds.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57554183-235/nintendo-400k-wii-u-units-sold-1.2m-devices-total/

Nintendo sold more than 1 million hardware units over the last week, the company has confirmed to CNET.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told CNET in a phone interview today that during the last week, its internal data has shown total U.S. hardware sales have reached more than 1.2 million units. That figure includes the Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and DS.

According to Fils-Aime, Nintendo sold over 700,000 consoles during the last week. The Wii U topped the Wii with 400,000 units sold. The Wii, which Nintendo launched all the way back in 2006, was able to muster 300,000 Wii sales during the last week.

On the portable side, Nintendo sold more than 500,000 hardware units, including 250,000 3DS and 275,000 DS devices. Fils-Aime explained to CNET that the DS outsold the 3DS because of the "significant" deals retailers were offering on Black Friday.

Still, according to Fils-Aime, the 3DS "continues on record-setting pace" selling through more than 6 million units during its first 21 months on store shelves. During the same period, the original DS had about 1 million fewer sales.

The big story, however, is the Wii U, which launched on November 18. Fils-Aime explained to CNET that the Wii U's sales figures during the last week were essentially capped by the company's ability to get units to store shelves.

"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

Shortages are certainly nothing new to those who tried to get their hands on the Wii after its launch in 2006. Each week, shipments would trickle in to local retailers, and consumers would stand on line hoping enough units were available for them to get a unit. Web sites were even created to give customers hints on where they could find a Wii. Fils-Aime doesn't necessarily expect a repeat with the Wii U.

"Wii was a unique phenomenon," Fils-Aime said. "You couldn't walk into a retailer and buy a Wii until spring of 2009. We've certainly learned many lessons from that and we are replenishing retailers more quickly this time around. We are looking to have as much product into retail as possible. It's driven by consumer response."

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:02:50 AM PST
50% of them are all flippers that are still trying to sell them on CL/eBay.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:02:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 10:04:00 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Wow, great U numbers and mind blowing DS numbers. I am stunned at the Wii numbers, excellent considering it is a dead system, must have been some crazy sales going on. 3DS numbers were a bit rough, but still strong. I'd say the Wii-U is on it's way to being quite a success for Nintendo. It should break 3+million worldwide this year. We should be happy to have yet another great system to game on. :)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:07:30 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
It may be too early to tell, but the naysayers and doom-callers must be - right as I type this - finding caves to hide in - again.

I won't even go so far as to say that they'll learn this time around, because persons like that must be extreme masochists. They like pain - and being wrong, apparently.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:09:35 AM PST
JWK says:
"the 3DS "continues on record-setting pace" selling through more than 6 million units during its first 21 months on store shelves. During the same period, the original DS had about 1 million fewer sales."

I believe Nintendo is dropping the price of the 3DS in the upcoming weeks to ensure that this happens. Not in a competitive "we have to break the record of our previous handheld" way, but because they understand that the larger the install base, the higher the software sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:10:55 AM PST
Nintendo has been wanting US sales to be in the 100,000-150,000 a month range. I really think that handheld gaming is becoming more niche in the US so Nintendo is playing hardball to catch up.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:12:06 AM PST
N. Gay says:
According to Wikipedia the wii sold 600k in 2006 so not bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:12:25 AM PST
Maybe, but I find that funny because even a week after launch I easily found a Deluxe Edition, and there are plenty of basic sets around. I think 6 stores near me have the white version.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:12:29 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
My brother's gamestop got a special shipment of Wii U's for Black Friday. They managed to sell out of the larger ones. But the Wii U Basic stayed on the shelves mostly. In the morning they had to package the basics and send them to another store.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:12:53 AM PST
That's what I am saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:13:23 AM PST
Ice King says:
Dooooomed?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:14:55 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Suuuuuccceeeesssss! *Fixed*. Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:18:07 AM PST
Ice King says:
They probably would have sold more, but that's most likely all that were available at that time. That was the worst console shortage I've ever seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:20:21 AM PST
Yeah, they took that lesson and brought that knowledge to the Wii U. They were ready, mostly, for the demand.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:27:55 AM PST
M. McFly says:
Everyone said the Wii U would sell like crazy for the first 6 months, come june lets revisit the numbers. I am not saying its going to tank but again no one doubted it would have a huge start.....I'll say its not going to touch the WIi sales but once nextbox and ps4 hit then lets see where its at

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:31:42 AM PST
I think it's going to have a strong start than a huge drop off. The rest will depend on the games. In other words similar to the 3DS and the 3DS started doing better once it started putting out a bunch of great games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:35:37 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"and the 3DS started doing better once it started putting out a bunch of great games."

And when it got a price drop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:36:14 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
It's that Wii price drop, $130 is a strong psychological number (not quite 150, but not that much above 100 either)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:39:57 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I wouldn't be shocked if the U does significantly worse than the Wii, other than the ps2 and ps1.... all consoles in history have down worse than the Wii. I expect the U to be on par with the ps3/360 in sales. Something in the 50-70 million range, which is enough for Nintendo to make money and continue making games. A win/win for everybody.

On a side note, the basic SKU just doesn't make sense to me at all. The deluxe is well worth the extra $50. My brother who didn't want a U, played it over the holidays and now wants one. The system is quite fun. I am happy to see Nintendo in HD and exploring new controllers. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:41:05 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Must be. At first I laughed at the idea of Nintendo releasing a Wii-mini, but maybe that isn't a bad idea. Maybe it still has some life left, especially if they hit a $100 price point? Who knows, but great point on the price. :)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:45:49 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
400k launch week for the Wii U, the week of Black Friday, a good number?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:47:34 AM PST
Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:48:38 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I believe that would depend on relative stock. If it sold out (or mostly sold out) then it is a great number. If it didn't sell out, not a great number. Just a thought. How readily available was it during the week? :)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:49:49 AM PST
John McClane says:
I was completely wrong about Nintendo Land, it's going to make the Wii U sell like crazy.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:50:32 AM PST
M. McFly says:
said it was sold out, note the wii sold 600k over the same time frame.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions