Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Amalur devs possibly in $ trouble

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-91 of 91 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:34:24 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Those are some pretty big assumptions thats for sure.

Agree to disagree.

Not really a big deal.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:40:07 AM PDT
$60 million? Where did you hear that?!?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:46:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 9:52:14 AM PDT
Movie Monkey says:
Yeah, I'm also not in a great mood, so my posts today have a been super negative...I should probably lay low for a while...

EDIT: I've found that when I'm not in the greatest mood, I start playing devil's advocate for anything. Even when I don't agree with that point. Just arguing for arguments sake. My wife hates it when I do this...so if you ever see me start doing this, just tell me to go get some coffee and shut my mouth...that usually cures it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:48:46 AM PDT
Gamblor says:
I hear that.

I think the fact that I have to work a ton this week and might not be able to finally play Diablo 3 tonight has affected my mood.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:54:17 AM PDT
Massive as in Massive douchebags who play CoD? just playin'

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:56:28 AM PDT
to sum up: market saturation.

Posted on May 15, 2012 10:06:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 10:41:20 AM PDT
HorizonBrave says:
And let's not forget about Day[9] and his fandom. I'm not really sure if he got paid or not for doing massive coverage of the game, but I would safely say that 30% of the purchases came from his show alone.

My honest opinion is .. too much hype maybe?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 10:39:57 AM PDT
Movie Monkey says:
Correct! WHY DID I TYPE SO MUCH!?!?!?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:09:09 PM PDT
I have. Maybe I am mellowing out, with age. Or maybe I needed a break from FPSs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 7:13:17 PM PDT
I do the exact same thing. It makes for longer conversations though. If we all agreed about everything, these forums would be pointless.

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:24:38 PM PDT
This thread made me play Amalur for a couple of hours tonight. Bought the DLC too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:50:30 PM PDT
Jacob Wunder says:
Same here. I cant help but feel responsible.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:56:26 AM PDT
Donkey Punch says:
Nice!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 8:56:28 AM PDT
Yes... I different name might have made it better, When I heard Kingdoms of Amalur, I was kind of like WTF?

Posted on May 22, 2012 10:52:33 AM PDT
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/22/11794560-lawmakers-cry-foul-as-former-pitcher-strikes-out-with-taxpayer-funds?lite

Former pitching great Curt Schilling is finding out what countless entrepreneurial-minded hobbyists have learned the hard way: Turning your passion into a viable business is really difficult. Unfortunately, Rhode Island taxpayers might be learning that lesson along with him.

Schilling, a longtime aficionado of massive multiplayer online games, decided to develop his own game after retiring from baseball in 2007, founding 38 Studios (Schilling wore number 38 for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Boston Red Sox.). In 2010, the venture received a $75 million loan guarantee from Rhode Island's Economic Development Corp. with a promise to bring 450 jobs to the state. Now, the cash-bleeding company is on shaky financial ground, and company leaders have applied for more than $20 million in additional tax credits.

If the company folds, it could leave state taxpayers on the hook for more than $100 million including interest and payments to bondholders.

Lawmakers are weighing how to keep 38 Studios afloat so it can pay off its loan without putting taxpayers even further at risk, and some are saying they never would have signed off on 2010 legislation that added $75 million to a loan guarantee program if they knew the entire amount would go toward an ex-ballplayer's digital fantasy world just four months after the votes were cast.

Late last week, 38 Studios finally made a $1.125 million payment to the state that was due on the first of the month as local media outlets were reporting that the company couldn't scrape together enough cash to pay its employees and was laying off workers. Last Wednesday, the official who oversaw the loan guarantee resigned, the Boston Globe reported, and the board of the Economic Development Corporation, 38 Studio representatives and Gov. Lincoln Chafee met in an emergency, five-hour session.

Schilling attended the meeting and, according to the Globe, asked for more public money. "There were heated moments during that meeting," said Chafee spokeswoman Christine Hunsinger. "Ultimately the governor prevailed upon the board to unanimously agree to take no action to further put at risk taxpayer dollars."

A three-and-a-half hour follow-up meeting Monday night ended with no resolution. Schilling attended the meeting, at which state officials asked for "additional, confidential information regarding the financial and game development status of 38 Studios," EDC Council spokeswoman Melissa Chambers said.

It has hardly escaped public notice that the often-outspoken Schilling, who made more than $100 million in his baseball career, according to baseball-reference.com, has toyed with a political career as a Republican advocating smaller government.

In a 2010 blog post backing Republican Scott Brown in the race for the Senate seat formerly held by Ted Kennedy, Schilling wrote that the state of Massachusetts "has done nothing but spend, and grow, at a time when we have no money to spend and absolutely unequivocally NO need for a larger government."

Schilling also campaigned for President George W. Bush in 2004 and Sen. John McCain in his 2008 presidential run.

Whether or not Schilling's struggling company can survive without another handout is unclear. Although it released one single-player video game earlier this year, it recently withdrew from the Electronic Entertainment Expo next month. The gaming industry expo was supposed to be the scene for the unveiling of 38 Studios' much-anticipated "Project Copernicus," but now the game reportedly won't be released until mid-2013.

"(Massive multiplayer) games are notoriously expensive with long development cycles, and hard to predict how successful they will be," said Robert W. Baird & Co. analyst Colin Sebastian.

Sebastian said there have been some worrisome signs for the industry lately, including lower subscriber levels for the popular World of Warcraft game and sliding game play of the "Star Wars" online game.

"In addition, there is a rapid shift towards free-to-play games on phones, tablets and Facebook, which is taking a bite out of the traditional video game market," he said.

38 Studios did not respond to a request for comment.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 11:01:03 AM PDT
"Lawmakers are weighing how to keep 38 Studios afloat so it can pay off its loan without putting taxpayers even further at risk, and some are saying they never would have signed off on 2010 legislation that added $75 million to a loan guarantee program if they knew the entire amount would go toward an ex-ballplayer's digital fantasy world just four months after the votes were cast."

Maybe they should have looked into it a little further before signing off on a $75 million loan.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Game sequels that you wanted to see that never made it... 38 5 minutes ago
1986 NES review; The D-Pad is "a major handicap". Look at Sega Master System or Atari 7800 instead 0 16 minutes ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 3851 22 minutes ago
Why Was Halo 5 The Worst Selling And Lowest Rated In The Series? 1 29 minutes ago
The reason why Uncharted 4 flopped 7 48 minutes ago
Microsoft rolls the dice in a huge Xbox gamble and comes up empty? 30 1 hour ago
OT: Republican National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Cleveland this week. 1232 1 hour ago
Who's played Forza 6? 5 1 hour ago
Microsoft cuts Xbox One to $250 59 1 hour ago
Favorite Rift Game? 1 2 hours ago
Rare US version of the N64's disc-drive add-on unearthed near Seattle 4 2 hours ago
Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for PC/PlayStation 1 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  May 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions