Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Quad core cpu overclocked 4.2ghz,2 gtx 480 in sli,8 gb ram@1600 hz ram,consoles suck compared to this rig

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-168 of 168 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 4:53:16 PM PDT
K. Butler says:
Half-Life 2 WAS a good game when it released in 2004...did you finish it? Just like Final Fantasy 7 WAS a great game when it released in 1997, and many people hold both games in their "Greatest Games of ALL Time List".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 4:55:03 PM PDT
TGD says:
Well exactly, it also doesn't help that most of the popular PC games are usually lacking gameplay in favor of demonstrating a new engine, or Directx version. I'm looking at you, Metro 2033. I mean, it's a great platform, but console games bring the fun just as much, if not better in many respects.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 4:57:44 PM PDT
K. Butler says:
Metro 2033 was great on the X360...I dunno about PC, but wasn't it a DX11 game?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 5:02:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 5:04:27 PM PDT
TGD says:
That's what I meant, it was basically a DX11 demo game. Which is why it sold like crap and is being given away now, or constantly being put on sale, only a year after release. You probably wouldn't be able to crack 38-39fps with the rig mentioned in the OP, because it's a tech demo that you need a monster pc for, even just to play as designed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 5:13:36 PM PDT
K. Butler says:
So it's like the DX10 Crysis...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 5:24:55 PM PDT
vishock says:
that might be your issue, you like JRPGs.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 5:26:48 PM PDT
vishock says:
yes some, not a whole lot. i think the majority of PC gamers when building a complete new build, spend about 700-1200$ on average.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 5:28:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 5:28:55 PM PDT
TGD says:
You got it. The "OOH SHINY!!!" part only lasts so long.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 5:35:45 PM PDT
Imago Dei says:
It's a stereotype, but these come from somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 5:51:57 PM PDT
No, I just don't play crappy games, and say they're good so I can feel better about spending $5000 on a super console that will be outdated faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 6:19:23 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
I must be purchasing the right games... I've not really felt the need to say that about any of the games I purchased... Not to say they were all gems. Man, Alpha Protocol... THAT was a mistake.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:40:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 2:31:39 PM PDT
Contrabardus says:
I spent less than $1,000 on my rig and it will run Metro 2033 at Optimum specs. My rig is 3D as well, and that is included in my less than $1,000 price point. I spent around $950 by buying parts through various sales and rebates, and a large chunk of that is the 3D hardware. Bibo is spreading BS. You can get ripped off buying a $5,000 machine, sure, but you don't need to dump tons of cash into PC gaming. That's an outright lie.

Metro 2033 runs on Dx9 as well, you don't need Dx11 to run it, but you get a few extra bells and whistles if you do. No current games run exclusively on Dx11. It's too new for that, and it will probably be several years before we see it. Dx8 only recently stopped being supported, and Dx9 has been around since 2004. We'll be seeing Dx9 supported for quite a while in any new releases in the future.

It's high minimum requirements probably did affect sales. You do not need a $5,000 rig to run it either, it will run fine with a $5-600 rig. You can get a PC rig that will run it at optimum settings for about $1,000.

The console versions do not run at optimum specs either. They run a downgraded version of the game. Sometimes it's a minor downgrade, sometimes it's a big one, depends on the game and developer. Graphics are not the only thing PC does better, performance is better as well. The physics are better, the controls are better, the sound is better. An average computer will run it at about the same level as the consoles, maybe a little better. A high end PC will improve every area, not just the way it looks.

Not to mention, you only need to upgrade your PC above the specs of the consoles once, and then you've got a better PC than any of the consoles until the next generation is released. Period. No need to further upgrade beyond that for any other reason than personal preference. Console hardware is static, and the specs on the consoles do not change until a new console replaces them.

PC specs change, but software for PC has a much wider range of hardware it will run on. You can always turn settings up or down to suit your system. This means a great PC now will still be a decent rig several years from now and should still run pretty much any game.

Since most games are developed with consoles in mind, any game released on consoles and PC will run on a PC with better specs no problem, and it will look and play better than the console versions, even if it isn't necessarily at full Optimized specs.

The higher than normal system specs probably did hurt sales, but it's also the fact that it came out with good competition. Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, and several high profile shooters have been released recently. I fail to see any reason to think that the game is any worse than either of the console versions, he's not put forth an actual reason for it aside from pointing out useless and unrelated statistics. A lot of great games have had poor sales for various reasons on every platform.

Put simply, I doubt Bibo has ever touched a gaming PC. At the least he's never owned one. He knows nothing about gaming on PC, yet feels the need to share his rather uninformed opinions on the subject with the rest of us for no good reason. It's a bit like me talking about why time slows down when it approaches the speed of light. I'm not a Physicist, and don't know anything about the subject. I'd just be speculating and making a fool of myself, much like the subject in question is doing.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 9:20:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2011 9:45:39 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 10:18:07 PM PDT
Contrabardus says:
Yeah, I've already got both.

I haven't played much of Metro 2033 yet. It's fun from what I played, very pretty from a graphical standpoint. I got into the beginning a little and it's got a sort of Fallout or S.T.A.L.K.E.R vibe going for it. Very cool, but as I said, I'm only a little ways into it. I've been playing Mortal Kombat and Portal 2, and haven't given it that much time yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 5:46:32 AM PDT
Wait wait wait...you mean to tell me that there is a reason to have XP on a W7 system? We talking dual boot? I just dropped almost 5 grand on a system because XP won't do HDTV in MC. This is the main function of my PC as I don't game on it. I have the 3 major consoles and both portables for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 11:14:02 AM PDT
It's XP compatibility mode, from what I understand it's only for the Pro version of Win7, and it's just to run older applications that might not work in Win7. It definitely won't give you a performance boost for games because it uses virtualization (think emulators).

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 11:17:29 AM PDT
Oh well, I don't think I have anything that would require that. I got W7U 64.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 11:30:04 AM PDT
It's mostly for business use, so you'll probably be fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Apr 24, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions