Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Video game art styles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2012 11:54:54 PM PDT
Jojo Mojo says:
Recently, I've been getting bored w/ games that have those "real-life graphics", for lack of a better term. You know the ones, Assassin's Creed, COD, Battlefield, etc etc. Games that every year look more and more real. So I've been getting bored of looking at these and have been wanting to play games w/ a more unique art style.

So my question for y'all is, which do you prefer? If you prefer a different kind of art style, then which game?

I really like the way Skyward Sword looks. The painting like art style really appeals to me, for some weird reason. I also really like Rayman Origins. It's just awesome.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 12:01:13 AM PDT
D. Robinson says:
I really liked the look of Prince of Persia from a couple years back. The cell shaded one, not the Sands of Time trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 1:12:53 AM PDT
BIOSHOCK BIOSHOCK BIOSHOCK.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 1:20:50 AM PDT
1#Fetish says:
inb4okami

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 2:00:17 AM PDT
Jawwaad says:
Yeah Jojo. Rayman Origins is a masterpiece to me. The "art style" of this is game is beautiful and probably one of my favorite games ever. Another gem I'm not sure a lot of people have played but has some a beautiful "art style" is Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales on the DS.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 2:05:50 AM PDT
Jake Johns says:
El Shaddai: Ascensions of the metatron

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 3:03:02 AM PDT
[G.H.O.S.T.] says:
I really liked the style found in Super Mario Galaxy. The nostalgic looking starchildren all over the place, mixed with the wide open spacey atmosphere keeps me revisiting that one quite often. I like all the different colors of star bits. The game is as beautiful to look at as it is fun to play.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 3:53:08 AM PDT
I like how the pokemon games look.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 6:41:33 AM PDT
I really like the look of the VanillaWare games as well as most of the Castlevania games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 6:53:13 AM PDT
Borderlands
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Walking Dead [Online Game Code]
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Dishonored
Jet Grind Radio (HD re-release coming soon)
XIII
Killer 7
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
The Darkness II
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I think that is a decent starting list with a mixture from this generation and the last along with a good mixture of platforms.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:01:37 AM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
I like the art style of Halo: Combat Evolved, so bland and lifeless, just like it's gameplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:16:41 AM PDT
neu Tron says:
I love Skyward Sword's art style too. It's really beautiful...kind of a mix of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

It really depends on what kind of game I'm playing. I thought Borderlands' art was perfect for what it was trying to do. I've also been playing Torchlight, which has a really cool art style that is different for the genre. Like others have mentioned, the Vanillaware games like Odin Sphere and Muramasa are really beautiful as well.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:25:51 AM PDT
pyroguy says:
tough call dudes, but my vote goes to either "Doom 3/Resurrection of Evil", due to IDSoftware breaking ground on semi-realistic graphics with their IDTech-4 engine. And the other would be "AvP 2", mainly because the enviroments feels just like the movie "Aliens" and shows what a futuristic AVP movie could've been (if given a more respectful treatment with a decent director and screenwriter to pen it)

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:47:10 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade is my favorite, prettiest game of all time in my opinion.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:48:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 8:55:30 AM PDT
Breeze says:
I was constantly in awe of Alice: Madness Returns, but as impressive as it was, I'm not really a fan of that style of art and when the awe passed I found myself not liking it.
Valkyria Chronicles receives praise for its art style, but I found the lines to be slightly annoying. I like the gameplay, but I can't look at it for an extended period of time.
I like the character art and back stories in most fighting games, but then because the games don't focus on story at all, those great characters are wasted. Except in Blazblue. For me, that series scores well all-around, but especially so in voice acting, art, and plot.

But for me, the best art would be in Ratchet & Clank. I don't really think of it as an art style since it's somewhat realistic, but it's more of a realistic cartoon. The newer games have been compared to Pixar films, and while they are different, it's the closest thing I can think of to compare them to.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot the Sly Cooper series, which does a really good job applying the comic book motif into a 3 dimensional playing area.
I think that wraps up the art styles that most stand out to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 9:50:18 AM PDT
FV says:
I agree with the old PS2 cartoon style games. Those are always fun too look at and are very much a part of the immersion of the game. Along the same lines, I would say Kingdom Hearts fits in that style; the first more than the second.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 10:41:20 AM PDT
what about Catherine !?!??!?! Loved that game.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 10:41:39 AM PDT
C521 says:
The World Ends With You comes to mind for me. It's art style is based on Tokyo graffiti. And of course Okami's watercolor come to life is breathtaking. Another great art style would have to be Viewtiful Joe on the Gamecube/PS2 which is essentially a comic book come to life. My last pick would have to be Valkyria Chronicles on PS3/PSP since it also has a comic book type look, but in 3D rather than Viewtiful Joe's 2D look. If you want great art style games, then I'd say check these out.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 12:11:07 PM PDT
JJ350 says:
Surprised nobody has mentioned Double Fine games such as Stacking. Tim Schafer is famous for his art style.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 12:55:54 PM PDT
Keji Already mentioned Jet Set Radio, and other game that looks fantastic because the art style and graphics is Darksiders, I think it has to be Joe Madureira's hand on the character design, cause I've been a fan of his work for a long while now, when I was a comic book nerd.
I mean, I still am a comic book nerd but I mostly play games now instead of reading.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 1:31:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2013 7:57:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 1:36:00 PM PDT
FV says:
That's true, but those games already have unique art styles. The OP was talking about games that go for the realistic character and environmental modeling and how that's not really an "art" style like some of the games you and others have mentioned.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:18:07 PM PDT
Jojo Mojo says:
I haven't played or even heard of many of these games you guys are mentioning! One game I just started playing is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and so far I'm liking the art style. I remember seeing somewhere that KOA is like a mix of WoW and Skyrim, but I've never played WoW so I like it so far.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:39:02 PM PDT
Alice: madness returns. The way the characters are designed is relative to how they act. The more you play it the more you realize and recognize it

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 9:48:15 PM PDT
Brad Michael says:
Borderlands was perfect for the game. I don't think they could've done it better any other way.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Jul 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions