Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I finally played a Metal Gear game....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 128 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2012 8:38:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 8:40:01 AM PDT
I sent a series of texts to my friend over the course of an hour:

10:32am - * this game man. I can't get past the first * crew quarters in MGS2.
11:12am - Ok, I'm doing better...
11:27am - Game is awesome.

I beat the tanker level in MGS2. I didn't realize how short those missions are. Once I got the hang of the control scheme I was fine, but for awhile I was flopping around like a fish out of water.

Are there unlockables for achieving different things in game? It seems short otherwise if it doesn't require multiple playthroughs. I just started Raiden's.

I'm going to try to put some more time into it tonight if my wife isn't using the TV.

What are the VR missions? I haven't even looked at those yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:40:18 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Raiden is the majority of the game, I'd say it's about 10 or so hours long.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:42:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 8:42:40 AM PDT
Oh, so the plant level is really long?

I really have absolutely no idea what is going on with the story though.

Should I read the plot lines for the first metal gear game? Would that help?

I'm trying them in release order, but I noticed that MGS2 takes place years after 3 and PW. It really jumps around a lot. Should I continue on Raiden's story or back up to 3?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:42:18 AM PDT
jtshiel says:
haha
I was working on MGS2 this weekend too.
I'm stuck on that tanker ship. I think I made it too the boss lady to early. I hadn't done anything and I was already in a boss battle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:43:09 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
I've only played the first 2, so can't help you with the others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:43:18 AM PDT
I just hid behind the boxes with my gun out and shot her every time her arm or head popped out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:44:03 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Definitely play in order of release. Reading story notes about the first game might help. Don't think you'll ever play the first one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:44:09 AM PDT
elect Tron says:
You really should play the original MGS before playing 2. The story is very important, despite what Kojima says.

Don't worry about playing them in a narrative chronological order (ie MGS3 before 2). Even though it takes place before 1 and 2, MGS3 assumes that you've played the first two games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:45:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 8:46:31 AM PDT
Is it on PSN?

To be honest, I don't know if I'll ever get around to playing it. I played it when it was first released, but I never finished it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:46:48 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
There is no "too early." You have an M9, take down Olga (boss lady) with it.

@Capt:

If you're playing the HD collection, then you have the over 500 VR Missions, 5 Snake's Tales to play through. There is also a use out of playing multiple times through so you can get all the dog tags by holding up soldiers. You're not really missing anything from the first game, although this is a direct sequel, but the Tanker Episode takes care of the back story pretty well. If you have any specific questions, I can answer them for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:47:14 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, you can grab it for $10 bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:47:30 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
The plant itself isn't gonna be a single level, so much as multiple levels. You'll enjoy it. Just stick along for the ride, and try to forgive the cheesy bosses. They were trying to top the bosses in MGS1 which were brilliant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:47:39 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
That's the first Metal Gear game I played too. I think it is still my favorite.

I had the guide the first time I played it and I'm glad I did. I would have never tried a bunch of things without it - pull-ups to increase grip strength, figuring out why certain boxes worked in certain areas, where the conveyor belts went to in the shell, how and why to shake down guards for items - things like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:47:44 AM PDT
jtshiel says:
PSN?
You need to buy a ps one and MGS like it was designed for bro!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:49:32 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
The best way to describe it is to think of MGS2 and MGS3 as James Bond movies. There is the initial action sequence (Tanker Episode/Virtuous Mission) then the game begins proper.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 8:49:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 30, 2012 8:50:18 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:50:35 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
As much as I know about Metal Gear, and I just found out that if you point a missile launcher/grenade launcher at a guard, they basically piss themselves and give up their items without you even having to aim at the head or balls.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:50:43 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
lol, pull-ups to increase grip strength? Really? I never knew that. Pretty funny.

MGS2 was the first one I played as well. Loved it, and went back to play the first one, played MGS3, and then the newly released (at the time) MGS4 all within a month's time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:51:23 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, you can go up to level 3 in grip strength, which is required to get a dog tag off of a marine in the first hold.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:51:34 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
MGS3 was especially like this with the delightfully campy opening theme song.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:52:25 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, it was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:52:37 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
I didn't realize the HD collection had 500 VR missions! That game is sitting in my backlog until I have time to go through the stories again, but I could probably have fun with a few VR missions before I dig into it.

What are the 5 Snake's Tales? Not sure I ever played those.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:53:14 AM PDT
Ooooh ok. So the tanker Episode is basically to help you rehash the back story?

**INCOMING PLOT SPOILERS**
So Shalashaska is Liquid snake? Or a copy?
Are all the snakes genetic clones or just grown from DNA from the first snake?
Was that Russian accent fake then just to get the other guy to follow him? I thought I read Ocelot had lost his right arm? So did he have liquid's arm grafted to his body? Is that why he kept freaking out?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:53:34 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Yeah, I was going in blind. Never really bothered with the dog tags since I didn't know what exactly their purpose was at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:55:30 AM PDT
That's where I played it at, but I don't know if I'll get around to it.

Unless they bring PS1 classics to Vita some day....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Dozens Killed in Mass Stabbing at Facility for the Disabled in Japan 65 29 seconds ago
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 292 41 seconds ago
OT: Sweet Christmas! Trailer for Marvel's Luke Cage. 19 55 seconds ago
Game sequels that you wanted to see that never made it... 84 2 minutes ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 6551 3 minutes ago
Nintendo nx is a portable console with detachable controllers 41 4 minutes ago
Xbox Games With Gold For August 2016 13 9 minutes ago
OT: Anti-Semitism runs rampant in the Democratic Party as Hank Johnson compares Jews in Israel to "termites" 54 12 minutes ago
Whatever Else May Happen, This is Will Always Be the Weekly Gaming Thread for July 25-29, 2016 40 13 minutes ago
OT: Why The New Child Rape Case Filed Against Donald Trump Should Not Be Ignored 27 15 minutes ago
First Battlefield and now Fallout...Fallout Television Show Announced At San Diego Comic Con 6 16 minutes ago
1TB And 500GB Xbox One S Bundles Arriving Aug. 23 With Madden NFL 17 And Halo Collection 2 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  128
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions