Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Skylanders for a 4 year old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 7:45:01 PM PDT
T. Cleary says:
I am slowly getting my son into game, He plays Super smash Bros (gamecube game on the Wii) and the first Zelda. He gets a little confused on which direction and jumping/firing and jumping/moving. Would he be to young for Skylanders?

Can anyone recommend me anymore games for him? Got all the modern consoles

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:27:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 8:29:02 PM PDT
Are you planning on playing co-op with him? If so, then I'd definitely say he's old enough. My 4yo son LOVES Skylanders. We've played through it together twice now on the 360. (If you have a 360, I'd recommend that version, as it's the only one with a corded portal.) A few others to check out for co-op on your home consoles: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Kirby Return to Dreamland, De Blob, Crash Mind Over Mutant, Crash of the Titans, & Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon.

My son also loves his 3DS. While he still plays his older DS games on it, some of his favorite 3DS games so far are Super Mario 3D Land, Skylanders, PilotWings Resort, and Nintendogs + Cats, plus several downloadable games (Plants vs. Zombies and The Art of Balance in particular lately).

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:39:15 PM PDT
T. Cleary says:
He is now playing Lego Star wars and doing pretty good. I will play some, but he will play some by himself. Really I should mention he is going to turning 4 next week. I do have a Xbox. How many buttons do you use in Skylanders? Thanks for the reply

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:07:58 AM PDT
The basic controls are you move with the left stick, primary attack with the A button, secondary attack with the X button. So most of the time, especially early on, you use only three buttons on a regular basis. There are times with the game instructs you to use the right stick for something, but those are pretty self-explanatory. Eventually, you'll be able to use the B button for a special attack, but only one you've acquired that ability--and, really, that's not required. The good thing is that the console versions are primarily adventure with some light RPG elements, so they don't required the precision of a platformer (unlike the handheld version, which is primarily platforming). The playable characters can't even jump. Also, most if not all of the words on screen are also voiced, so your child won't have to be able to read any text.

We got the game when it first came out, and my son was 4 years and 3 months at the time. He'll be five in July, and he still loves it and asks to replay levels on a regular basis. I'd say that Skylanders on the 360 and Mario 3D Land on the 3DS have probably been his two favorite games so far, and--though I do limit his playing time stringently and there are many days he doesn't play video games at all, as we're busy with other fun things--he's owned a DS of one kind or another since he was two. That said, I do usually play Skylanders co-op with him. When he plays it by himself, he often just wants to run around the sanctuary area practicing his attacks, collecting loot, and interacting with the other characters there. Or he'll do a heroic challenge on his own. All of which is fine and he enjoys it. If I'm busy, that's enough to satisfy him. But when it comes to navigating the story levels, he always seems to want me to play too.

Hope this helps! Since, some time has passed, you might be able to find the Skylanders characters cheaper now, perhaps a big lot of them used. Also, my son has really enjoyed the Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Official Strategy Guide, which gives the backstory on each of the Skylander's characters, includes photos of all Skylanders and enemies, has some stickers, etc. Especially early on, he liked me to read to him about each character, and he memorized all of their names, basic etymologies, and elements. Now he likes flipping through the book on his own too, telling me or his father the names of all of the characters and enemies. :)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 4:38:44 PM PDT
T. Cleary says:
ty. big help

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:40:36 AM PDT
Bone says:
My son loved R&C Tools of Destruction around that age. He didn't have the coordination for some of the gelinator level, and a few of the decryptors, but other than that, he had enormous fun completing it over and over. He actually triggered the scoring bug where you have too many bolts and the number keeps resetting back.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:42:28 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
My 5 year old cousin played through Skyward Sword all by himself. Start to finish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:46:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 5:46:50 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:48:07 AM PDT
ajacks 13 says:
Its amazing what the difference between 4,5 and 6 make. When my son was 4 it was all Lego games, when he was 5 and 6 he is all Little Big Planet and when he turned 7 it was Team Fortress 2. All my kids cut their teeth on Jak and Daxter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:55:42 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
he is my cousin, not my son.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:58:31 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Still though, as a matter of pride and respect for Mother Sony, aren't you obligated to smash his Nintendo stuff to bits and replace it with the holy relic that is the PS3?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 6:03:02 AM PDT
How about Skylanders for a 40 year old?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:06:19 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Umm, I own a Wii. I love Xenoblade and I have The Last Story on pre-order. Not sure where you are coming from...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:21:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 6:22:20 AM PDT
Ice King says:
Kirby's Epic Yarn is a good game and it has a children's storybook feel to it that he might like. I haven't played it in a while but I remember the controls being very simple and the game itself wasn't too challenging unless you wanted to collect everything.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 6:35:54 AM PDT
ajacks 13 says:
when my kids were that young they had trouble doing multiple things at once. They could jump and they could run and they could shoot, but they couldnt do any two at the same time. So I guess Devil May Cry or the first Resident Evil are good learning tools LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:37:05 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
The first Resident Evil?! The only game in the series where you can move and shoot/reload is Resident Evil: Revelations for the 3DS which came out this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:39:26 AM PDT
PacinoBully says:
I hope I someday have a kid as nerdy yet cool as yours seems. Good story.

Anyways, is Skylanders a game for adults? It doesn't seem so. I always wondered what this game was. It has something to do with Spyro right?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 6:47:11 AM PDT
ajacks 13 says:
I think Skylander Giants is coming out this holiday, not sure if its an expansion or a whole new game experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 8:14:22 AM PDT
saskamazon says:
Skylanders is fun at any age .... my son & I played it together & it was a blast. we have the PS3 & 3DS versions .... good way to make use of the character investment. the console coop is really good. looking fwd. to the sequel.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 4:06:31 AM PDT
hello i play lego star wars and skylanders giants and I'm rory

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 4:07:16 AM PDT
skylanders rocks get the 2nd game

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 4:07:54 AM PDT
i play lego star wars it rocks
i beat all the levels

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 4:10:53 AM PDT
skylanders could be for a 3 year old
??????

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 4:11:32 AM PDT
my friend plays it
AND HES 9 TOO
and im nine

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 5:49:11 AM PDT
If he can play the Lego games, he should have no issues with Skylanders... accept maybe the final boss.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
A god among console brands: 370 Million PlayStation Consoles Have Been Sold Since December 45 44 minutes ago
OT: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. 7779 1 hour ago
The Witcher 3 Discussion Thread 733 1 hour ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan v2.0 5004 1 hour ago
So what is your non retail purchases look like? 11 1 hour ago
Weekend wrap-up and weekly gaming: 5/26 to 5/28 35 2 hours ago
Dear Amazon: Clean your shit up. Today is a perfect example of everything wrong with this forum. 19 2 hours ago
New season of Twin Peaks coming to Showtime in 2016 44 2 hours ago
OT: 2015 NBA playoffs! 776 2 hours ago
OT: Masturbation could make your hand pregnant in the afterlife 17 2 hours ago
A New Cartridge-Based Console Is Being Made To "Reestablish The Culture Of Video Gaming" 48 2 hours ago
OT: How Do Blue Collar Workers Afford To Live In California? 136 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions