Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

FTL Kickstarter - A roguelike in spaaaaaace!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2012 2:39:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2012 2:39:14 PM PDT
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light

FTL - This is basically a rogue like in space. You will die. Repeatedly. You goal is to get to the end of the sector. Each system you jump into will have an encounter of some kind. You have to wait until your engines recharge in order to jump again, all while fighting off an enemy ship. You have four crew members who can each die. You need them to repair the systems of your ship that can get damaged (weapons, sensors, engine, shields, oxygen generator).

You power generator only has so much power, so you'll have to micromanage your systems. Do you want to be able to power both your lasers and missiles? You might have to shut down your engines. This leads into the upgrade system. Each mission yields a currency in the form of scrap metal. This can be used to upgrade the various systems on your ship--stronger shields, faster engine recharge, more available energy from the reactor. Some planets have stores where you can buy new types of weapons or repair your hull, which does not regenerate.

As far as I know, the only demo is currently available through OnLive. It's worth checking out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 3:05:32 PM PDT
I have to say the double fine thing did seem to kick off a bunch of Kickstarter projects. Not only that but these projects seem to be reaching their goal and then some. I kinda thought that Double Fine would be one of the very rare cases of people who could pull this off. I guess I am (happily) wrong about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 3:07:20 PM PDT
Same.

You should check this one out, I think you might enjoy it. Also, $10 gets you the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions it seems.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 11:16:49 PM PDT
I wouldn't be surprised if the DF success story kicked off more, but there were already tons of people using Kickstarter before that. And I haven't noticed any particular upward trend of successes since then, either, though I certainly don't spend a lot of time on the site.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 4:01:48 PM PDT
Bump. There's only about 2 days left for this. It is worth checking out.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 3:57:01 AM PDT
Last chance to get in on this. Haven't been able to play the demo but based on what I read in PC Gamer and saw on their site it looks like a pretty awesome game.

I kicked in $25 so I get a copy of the game and also get to be in the closed beta. Like Nate said $10 gets you a copy of the game for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Definitely looking forward to this one now.

These guys set out to get only $10,000 and last time I checked it they were over $120,000. Big time publishers can suck it.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 9:05:19 AM PDT
Just 12 hours to go for this one.

Just $10 gets you a DRM-free copy of the PC, Mac, or Linux versions.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 1:17:12 PM PDT
Funding for this project was a massive success as it came to a close today bringing in over $200,000 which is 200% from what they were originally seeking. The closed beta should be out within the next month or so and the game's final launch shouldn't be too far behind that according to their update.

Really glad this project saw this level of success and I'm quite anxious to get my hands on the closed beta come May. I'm also hoping to see more projects seek funding like this where you can grab a copy of the game by contributing. If this continues the days for companies like EA and Activision could be numbered as gamers readily demonstrate their desire to fund projects allowing small developers like these to bypass the need for a publisher. This is certainly a future I look forward to.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 3:06:42 PM PDT
I don't think this can fund a AAA game, really, but between this, DoubleFine, Wasteland 2, and The Banner Saga, I think we WILL see some high quality games.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 6:53:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 2:23:37 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Are Holli and Lucy hermaphrodites? 17 9 minutes ago
OT: Republican National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Cleveland this week. 1216 11 minutes ago
Who the F is Kryptonite Krunch? 44 13 minutes ago
Microsoft cuts Xbox One to $250 0 17 minutes ago
Ouch! Gamestop Now Offering $200.00 Trade For PS4 And $50.00 For Xbox One. 10 28 minutes ago
OT: Putin leaked the Democrats' Dirty Emails to help Trump get Elected 2 29 minutes ago
Overwatch discussion thread 3028 31 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming 7/22-7/24 72 41 minutes ago
Sony is the only one that lack any money making IP's 78 47 minutes ago
OT: The Democratic National Party, like Hillary Clinton, is Crooked and Corrupt 4 54 minutes ago
GUILTY!!! 10 1 hour ago
OT: Obama's half brother is voting for Trump 0 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 22, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions