Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Used Vs New 3DS games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 12:16:00 AM PDT
Yung says:
Any important reasons to purchase a new 3ds game instead of a used one?
I'm a new 3ds owner & I was looking to purchase Super Mario 3d land used for $twenty something with a coupon @ Best Buy instead of the retail $39.99
Thanks in advance for any info

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:17:41 AM PDT
Jon says:
Not that I can think of, only game to feature any setback is one of the resident evil games as it doesn't alow for save resets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 12:49:33 AM PDT
Jawwaad says:
I agree with Jon. In reality, I would buy a 3DS or DS game used way before I would purchase any video game on disc although PS3 games are less likely to be scratched due to them being Blu Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:26:00 AM PDT
Etc says:
Not sure about that. At least with a disc you can see the damage. A DS card is tiny. You have no idea where it's been or what awful things have been done to it.

And isn't it possible that the data can get corrupted fairly easily?

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:31:10 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
I think the little cartridges are much more durable than disc-based media.

And yeah, some games don't have a data reset option, but most do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:31:17 AM PDT
Admiral55 says:
DS cards are pretty rugged, being solid state and all.

And in general, if the game doesn't work he can get a refund/exchange from the place it was purchased.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:33:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 7:34:16 AM PDT
I bought 2 used 3DS games and one 'new' from Gamestop. No problems with the quality of the games at all...

The 2 used ones had previous saves which were easily deleted...So did my supposed new copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Survivor *shakes fist in disdain!*

Someone had racked up 40+ hours on 3 saves on SMT: DDS before it was returned and put in the new pile.

The booklet, case, and cartridge are all in pristine condition though so I'm not that upset.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 1:13:30 PM PDT
Yung says:
Thanks for the replies. I ended up purchasing a pre-owned copy of Super Mario 3d Land for about $25 with taxes. I easily deleted the 3 saved files that it had. It came complete with the box & manual inside.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:10:45 PM PDT
I prefer buying 3DS games new(especially the first party games) because you get Club Nintendo coins.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:15:54 PM PDT
R. Nickerson says:
If I really enjoy a developer's games I'll always buy them new as I'd much rather see a chunk of my money go at least somewhat to supporting the developer (and publisher) over the used game vendor.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:32:54 PM PDT
Baloo6909 says:
1.) Supporting actual gamemakers
2.) Club Nintendo points

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:06:55 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
Club Nintendo Points.

Otherwise, if it's an older game and stores no longer buy them, then the developer/publisher won't get anything for them since they're not restocking. The copies the stores already have were bought by the stores, so the people responsible for the game's development were already paid, but they count on you buying them early before they become too old and stores won't restock due to shelf limitations.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:22:53 PM PDT
HorizonBrave says:
I never buy them used, I like my Nintendo Club points.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:00:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 6:00:40 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
As do I, but I'll buy some games used if the prices are unbeatable. Luckily, most used games come with unused Club Nintendo codes since people are too lazy to sign up and go through the process. It's pretty easy for me to get Platinum each year. The problem with Club Nintendo is that I already own the stuff I want (Game & Watch Collections, Game & Watch: Ball, Mario & Luigi 3DS Pouches, Red Reversible Pouch, White Wii Remote Holder, Grill-Off w/ Ultra Hand, all 3 poster sets, Hanafuda Cards). I wish they'd add some of the awesome stuff from Club Nintendo Europe.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:49:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 6:49:57 PM PDT
Xlea says:
Club Nintendo FTW. And I'd rather give my money to the company that made it, then someone else. I have on problem with anyone buying used, but I usually only buy used if it's a somewhat older game.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:54:55 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
I love buying used 3DS games. Out of 10+ games, i've only purchased RE Revelations and Kid Icarus new. Far too many good used game promos at places like Best Buy to not indulge.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:48:46 PM PDT
M. Lewis says:
I like the Club Nintendo points too but I've bougt quite a few used games (wii, DS, and 3DS) and the Club Nintendo points are usually still intact. I think most people don't know what to do with them or don't bother.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:00:19 AM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
I always put in my club Nintendo points but there is never anything I want really. I wish they had Nintendo points/dollars that I could redeem the coins for so I could save them up to buy some VC ware on the Wii U.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:14:09 AM PDT
You might consider trying out Donkey Kong this month since it is only 100 coins. The first four levels are similar to the original Donkey Kong arcade game but then it expands to over 100 different levels.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:24:17 AM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
Ya know I almost downloaded that yesterday. I'm kinda being grumpy about it because I really want them to have some of the old Zelda's and Mario's available for the 3DS or those good 'ol NES games like Wizard's and Warriors etc. Even if it was like 400-500 coins. That or like I said just give us the choice of some amount of Nintendo credit to use on VC ware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:24:04 AM PDT
Yung says:
How many coins does the PIN# from a new game grant you as a member of Club Nintendo?
I have about 3 of those but I haven't signed up

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:06:25 PM PDT
HorizonBrave says:
Some games give you 40 coins as pre-order bonus or special week.
Everything else is always 30.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:07:27 PM PDT
Usually around 30 plus you can get some extra for doing the survey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:51:59 PM PDT
R. Nickerson says:
That's a good point. I know that bookstores often sell back to the publisher copies of new books that they don't sell and that exceed their desired stock levels. I've no idea if the same is done for games though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 3:39:19 PM PDT
Baloo6909 says:
Get Donkey Kong, Kirby Superstar is available for 150 for 3DS VC.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan 260 12 seconds ago
Destiny, Exotic gear 27 33 seconds ago
My PS4 library, plus the next few games I plan to get. 26 2 minutes ago
OT: Speaking of GB, Anyone Read Captain Underpants?! 0 3 minutes ago
Destiny sold-through more than $325 million worldwide in its first five days 49 3 minutes ago
Activision loses $1.5 billion market cap valuation since Destiny launched 19 5 minutes ago
OT: Does Anybody Here Remember Goosebumps? 28 6 minutes ago
Zoe Quinn: 5 Things I Learned as the Internet's Most Hated Person (Also, it's a Cracked Article!) 101 6 minutes ago
Forza Horizon 2 demo 22 8 minutes ago
What are the best games on the Ps3? 20 8 minutes ago
Sony forecasts $2.1B loss this year 86 11 minutes ago
OT: After Apple blames victims of cloud security, they have now changed their mind and added 2 step verification 3 11 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions