Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

To be an early adopter of the PS4 or not to be

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2013 5:32:26 AM PST
I am mulling over this at the moment. I want to get a PS4 (even without knowing much about it at the moment) just to support Sony. While some of their decisions are questionable, I still think they are a better, more open minded company than Microsoft and I want them to succeed.

I want them to do well this next cycle of consoles, but me being the skeptic that I am just does not want to chance spending however many hundreds of dollars for some failed console (if that happens) or more shovel ware for the next 2 or 3 years before good games release and while the price of the system drops just to rub it in my face.

Decisions decisions. =/

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:34:56 AM PST
new Tron says:
As cool as the next gen consoles look, I'm seriously considering taking a "wait and see" approach before taking the plunge. The publisher/closed platform model seems to be in a state of flux right now, and I have the feeling in a couple of years, the gaming landscape is going to be drastically transformed. I want to wait and see what directions things go before deciding where I'm going to spend so much money.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:36:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 5:36:36 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
The event is tonight. Every gaming site will be blowing up with specs, price points, information, articles all about it. Just everyone calm down and make your decision tonight.

All I know is if the low-end model is running 429 plus tax, I am skipping until the high-end model is 399.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 5:39:01 AM PST
*takes a deep breathe. closes eyes. calms down*

Thanks bro, I needed that.

I will try not to think about it at the moment. I'll to get more details to help make up my mind. =)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:39:38 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I would look at games first. PS3 or 360 didn't have a great launch line up. You might have a pretty netflix machine for the first 6 months to a year.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 5:41:07 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Ehhh, I think with the rumors so far.. The PS4/720 are going to have a nice few launch titles. Or at least titles coming out within 2 months of release.

We all know GTAV is going to be a release title :P. So there's a big one right there. Combine that with Watch Dogs, RDR2 that following May, multiplats, possible Fallout 4, the new consoles will take off.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:42:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 5:46:36 AM PST
Keller says:
I will be passing on both the ps4 and next xbox for now. It isn't anything Sony/MS have done wrong as much as what they have done right. I still have a massive backlog of ps3/360 games I want to play. I see no reason to run out and pay top dollar for a new console to get even more games that will just sit there because frankly I don't have the time. I might as well take a year or two and close out my backlog and then make the jump. I also want to wait and see what Steambox does. More than anything I see building a new rig and skipping next gen consoles.

I am a bit old school and prefer optical disks instead of digital/streaming. I want the option to buy used games and what not. This was the main complaint I had against PC gaming, depending on what Sony/Microsoft does, all the negatives about PC gaming will no longer be exclusive... making PC my go to way of gaming. Based on rumors I am not sure there are any advantages to console gaming anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 5:42:44 AM PST
FOGE says:
Im just getting it for Lair 2

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 5:43:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 5:44:52 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Should probably wait until tomorrow before we ask this question.

Personally, it's Steambox or bust for me. I'm not picking up any more traditional consoles on their launch day because I beat the launch titles, then I wait and wait for more software to come out, and it doesn't so I end up selling the thing: see U comma Wii.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:51:31 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
If GTAV is the big launch title, I'll definitely be waiting on both consoles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:00:45 AM PST
FOGE says:
I ve heard people on here say it is. As far as I know, its a rumor. One of which I would bet heavily against.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:09:17 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
I would early adopt for Dark Souls 2, but not many other games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:09:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Dark Souls 2 will hopefully be current gen.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:11:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 6:11:41 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
Problem is, I'd have a tough time deciding which console to get it for. I originally got Dark Souls for PS3, then traded it in the 360 version. Then later bought it again for PS3 and I've ended up playing it more on that.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:12:34 AM PST
I never found the point of early adoption for game consoles. I just work through the backlog while the new consoles build a library, work out technical problems, and perhaps even have a price drop.

About 1.5-2 years in is when I look to get the next gen.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:13:04 AM PST
No kidding, I haven't been 14 in a long time.

No more early adopting for me. Burned now on the 3DS, Vita and WiiU.

Also, technically if you buy day one, you are actually an "innovater" rather than an "early adopter".

http://www.quickmba.com/marketing/product/diffusion/

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:16:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 6:16:33 AM PST
You mean that game announced for the current gen and coming out in September, before any of the predicted release dates for Nextbox/PS4?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:18:11 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
If GTAV is launching with a next gen system, I may hold off on buying it until I do buy PS4/Nextbox.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:19:15 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
I don't know when it was announced to drop, I'm just saying I don't consider it a franchise that makes me want to dump $400+ in a new console when my two are working just fine. I'm just replying to rumors of the VGF.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:20:52 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
The thing that would sway me is the next gen version be superior (both graphically and technically). I would assume it would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:23:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 6:24:28 AM PST
Keller says:
Buying early has worked out great for me. My launch 360 died while MS proceeded to release units with larger HDDs, wireless included and HDMI output. I paid $600 for a ps3 only to have the price drop in half in a few years. I paid $350 for a Wii-U to only have spent more time using it to play Wii games than U games. Why wouldn't people want to adopt early? The benefits of early adoption are quite clear not too mention striking!

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:24:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 6:25:45 AM PST
Chris... says:
No reason at all to be an early adopter of a console. The game libraries are sparse and the hardware is overpriced. Work through your backlog, wait for a more expansive library and an inevitable price drop. Try not to be swayed by new generation games. Six months to a year later the games and the console will be cheaper.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:24:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 6:25:24 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Depends on the launch window. I like to see how the first 6 months usually go and the dust starts to settle. 1 or 2 games wont make me front $600.

That $600 buys me a ton of games now. Its all about the games , right?

Like i mentioned before, a Motorstorm or LBP wont make me buy one. But if they show us some blockbusters and new IP, that goes a much longer ways into considering it sooner than later.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:24:52 AM PST
I think I will wait until the first price drop. I got the Wii U on release and havent really played it since me and the wife beat super mario bros wii u. Rayman was going to be that next magical purchase.... But yea.... waiting seems to be the best policy for the moment unless I am completely blown away.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:59:56 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
I am no longer a first line console buyer, that ended with the PS3. I am pretty sure i can easily wait for the PS4 until the second version comes out such as a slim
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions