Customer Discussions > Vizio forum

Vizio TV problems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 440 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 25, 2010 9:23:18 AM PST
Jer01 says:
According to Consumer Reports, the repair + serious problems history of Vizio tv's is good - 3% -- same as Samsung, Toshiba, and Philips Magnavox. One step better at 2% is Sony, Sylvania, Panasonic, JVC, and Sharp. Sanyo is 1%. The worst are Mitsubishi [7%], Polariod [6%], and Westinghouse [5%]. Differences of less than 3 points are not meaningful.

Hope this helps.

Jer

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 9:23:23 AM PST
my Vizio P50HD went out after 2 years. I called them up and they sent out a guy with control boards to fix it for free. Kinda scares me about the next couple of years.
ALL the parts inside were made by LG by the way..

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 1:57:53 AM PST
A. T. Fisher says:
I have a Sony 51" rear projection TV that is 4 yrs old, with a bad "control panel." When I read a few of the forums related to my model, I was surprised..attorney involvement, class action talk, and Sony TV owners disappointed in the way they were treated by Sony Techs. Some of the units only lasted 2 yrs before they were useless, and for some, just out of warranty. We are so accustomed to TVs lasting 10-20 yrs, this comes as a shock, especially, when you pay a premium price for a product, as i did.
I'm reading posts in this discussion, because I just purchased (today) the Vizio 47" TV, from Amazon, to replace my Sony "anchor!' Seems like all TV manufacturers buy "control panels" from the same source!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 3:08:56 PM PST
SM says:
My 32in SVT (their top model) just broke on me 30 days after the 1 year warranty ran out. I called Vizio but they won't do anything. They gave me a number for HD Repair and they don't have a shop but will make a house call for min $85 to diagnose the problem.

90% of my screen is black. The top 1" still works and the sound works fine. Does anyone know what part it will take to fix it?
thanks in advance for your help and I probably won't buy another Vizio either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 8:35:22 PM PST
Traveler says:
Since you bought the TV at COSTCO, COSTCO adds another year to the mfg's warrantee. Therefore, you have a two year warrantee on the VIZO. THis is why I buy all my electronics from COSTCO

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 6:21:03 PM PST
gator says:
we have a 37" vizio hd tv. we have had for alittle over a year and the picture freezes then it is scrambles and then it gets black from the bottom up. we have had our cable company out they gave us a new box and all the lines coming in are fine. we have a extended warranty but what a hassel theywanted us to send it some where they would provide the box or go to repair shop 11 miles away. of course we are going to take it in.

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 9:46:13 AM PST
We have a 26-inch Visio we purchased Nov 17, 2010. We love the picture and thought we made a good purchase. However, the sound has begun to go out periodically (change channel or turn it on). Today there is no sound at all. We have surround sound so, for the moment, we hear the programs. We are under warranty and bought a two year extended (thus 3 years). Sounds like we made a good choice to buy the extended warranty. Like others have said, it's still a hassle to have to return and exchange and then wonder--will if hapen again or worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2011 8:15:48 PM PST
rh86 says:
We have a Vizio 50 inch. one day it shut off , they told us it was the power board. My husband took the back off and found a fuse blown. Its working now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 7:53:25 PM PST
I had a similar problem. TV is 2 years old, sledomly used until this last year and now it either won't turn on or it won't turn off. Sometimes this problem lasts for day's at a time. I will not ever recommend a Vizio to anyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 3:29:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2011 3:30:40 PM PST
M. Aluisi says:
i've owned my 42" VIZIO for 5 years and yesterday it randomly shut off while i was playing Black Ops. When i turn it on now it just shuts back off in approximately 10 seconds. Is there a way to fix this or is it done?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 8:11:54 PM PST
Rex Aquino says:
Mine does the same thing. I haven't gotten in serviced yet. Please let me know what the outcome is and I'll do the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 8:12:24 PM PST
Rex Aquino says:
Mine does the same thing. I haven't gotten in serviced yet. Please let me know what the outcome is and I'll do the same.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 8:54:53 AM PST
I have a 37 inch Vizio and there's a line of Fuzz that runs across the top of the screen when I'm on non HD channels. Anybody ever come across this problem? Any way to resolve this?

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 1:52:36 AM PST
C. Hulett says:
I have sold tv's for six years, and i own two vizios.

heres the facts:
a) if you go to wal-mart and get their cheapest vizio it may be made in china, however both mine were made in Mexico (same place as samsung and sony)
b) vizio has by far the best support line in the industry
c) plasmas are just bad in general, my father in law is on his 3rd panasonic in four years while my lcd vizio still works perfect

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 6:39:51 AM PST
J. Hamilton says:
I think you need to change the screen settings. It can be done where you have the choice of wide, normal, zoom, etc.

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 7:45:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 10:10:18 PM PDT
F.P.M.S. says:
For now, I'll have to join the "no problems" crowd; not much of a crowd, actually, just a bit of hand-holding! People don't 'complain' if nothing's wrong. I've owned a 37-inch VIZIO LCD (VX37L) since May 2007, almost four years, and never had the slightest problem. My only complaint was, while I was deciding, VIZIO 'removed' the backlighting from the remote! I've had a VIZIO 26-inch LED-LCD (M261VP), the one with the internet apps, for two months, and again, no problems, other than it seems to take a relatively long time to change channels.
I've never had to call Customer Service, so I can't add to that topic. But I believe that most problems are quality-control related, wherever they build the components (boards, displays, power supplies, etc), and I'm sure that in many cases, one off-shore (or across border!) factory builds stuff for several name-plate manufacturers / assemblers.
Decades ago, I built a color TV from a kit (remember HeathKit?!), and became quite adept at tracking down and fixing problems, besides replacing tubes (replacing WHAT?!) As an example, after a year or so, I recall it took about five minutes anything to happen after the TV was turned on. We traced it to a thin crack on the surface of a circuit board; as the board heated up (tubes, remember!), it expanded and the gap closed, and voila! the TV worked. A little dab of solder cured that problem. My point is: considering the micro-circuitry in todays electonics, could you imagine a repair tech going to such lengths to solve a problem? No way; cheaper to just replace a board by trail and error, or, considering the labor cost of doing this (and the cost of an OEM part to the consumer), cheaper to junk the entire item and buy a new one!
The ultimate 'repair' solution.

UPDATE TO MY FEBRUARY 2011 POST on the M261VP:
Shortly after I declared 'no problems' a strange one began to show up. Entire TV goes dead (except that the pilot light blinks) for one minute and forty-five seconds; you could time an event by it. Then, it comes back to life, as if nothing had happened. This TV is on for many hours during the day, and sometimes it goes for weeks without this problem, occasionally it happens twice during the day; average seems to be about once per week or so. I've learned to NOT push buttons (remote or TV itself), nor to disconnect it from the wall socket. Just wait for 1:45, and.... voila. BTW, Costco is in the process of dropping this unit, and substituting one with no internet apps, and perhaps of more interest, one with what might run on 120volts, instead of the 'brick' used by the 261. 'Bye for now; hope this helps someonw out there.

One more update, regarding the M261VP. Occasionally, Visio sends a firmware update that this TV receives over the internet. One of those updates, unknown to me until I realized it, cured the 1:45 problem described above. Have not experienced this annyance in about two or three months.

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 9:42:25 PM PDT
sistafish says:
I have a 42" vizio and has had problems since day one. We changed cords, changed the cable box and nothing works. Vizio strings you along when you try to get them to help. The sound goes up and down by itself, sometimes it doesn't turn on, sometimes it has a white line across the top, the voices jump and crack, sometimes the sound doesn't match the voice, it turns off by itself, sometimes its a black screen. These TV's a junk and over priced. They need to recall them all and compensate the consumers. Don't waste your money!!

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:21:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2011 10:23:04 PM PDT
VRonnie says:
My 32 inch Vizio will not come on without playing with remote for almost 5 minutes. Then today, my 22 inch Vizio HDMI came on, but no picture!! Now I have to replace 2 TV's. No more Vizio for me.

Posted on May 7, 2011 10:08:54 AM PDT
I've had my 52" about two years and two days ago I have a thin red line running vertically in the middle of the screen from top to bottom. Anyone had this problem before? Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 7, 2011 10:10:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 7, 2011 10:11:23 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 7:54:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2011 8:08:00 PM PDT
Purchased a 47" Vizio from Cost Co 12/2011. Used their Amex for extra warrenty, thought that would cover me -not. I had to return it shortly after purtchase due to the pic and sound flickering when turning on. It then stayed on, but for a new TV and a big expense for me, that was not ok. Cost co said exchange it which I did. Pain to load and unload by myself. The new TV no longer flickered when turning on but shut itself off after a few hrs when running and worse yet, when I traveled, it turned itself on and stayed on while I was gone! I get home and the darn TV is on! Twice! No sound cause the sattiilite was not activated but it was ON. I call the Costo consierge. Lame not helpful. Start from stratch and lose all your apps etc. Thanks. Called Vizio. They were more savy. Turn it off and re set apps. Thanks again. Oh dear "we should send you a software download to remidy the issue". ok. I get it and install. Fine, now it again flickers when I turn it on like the original TV did. I do not know as yet if it still turns itseflf on but yep, it turns itself off while I am working for hrs on the computer. Guess that means it will turn itself on also. Call Vizio cause of the flikering. They said we'll send a subcontracted repair person out to replace the mother board. Not the kind of person I want in my house came out and laid the TV on the floor and did his job. Left without testing the TV. I turned it on and it flickered just as it had. NO idea if it would turn itself on or off at this point. I call Vizio immediately, not happy at all. After what seemed hrs of explaining, I got Humm, guess we need to replace it with a refurbished TV or you can pay $250. for a new one. WHAT? This is May 2011, only 4 months after the purchase and with a return already. They want to send a refurbished TV! Tried to explain that a refurbished is as good as new, they test it. Uh, if so then why charge extra for the exact same TV if it was 'new'? Yeah if they test it do they leave it on for days to see if it turns itself on or off after a few hrs, no. I said not refiburished and no $250. just replace it with a new TV. Said he would 'esclate' it to a higher level and get back to me in a week. A couple of days later I get a call from a Vizio woman saying she wanted to check on how things were going - oh, no it was not 'esclated' but she would do so now -her badge number is 71952, Tonya, and I can call her anytime. I call two weeks later after hearing nothing and am told, oh no she cannot be reached, she is in Utah and we are in So Dakota ( like, so) How can I help you. I was ready to jump thru the phone and strangle her. I said I will wait while you read the documentaiton. She said she had no indication that it was esclated. Wonderful. Liers and BS from all. Said she would immediately esclate it while I was on the ph. I asked how that could be when I was told by two others that I had to wait a week for a response. Got more BS lots of annoyed I don't know's. She said she was getting a supervisor but came back with the same very irritataing offer of me paying $250. or getting a re-firbished TV replacement. Uh, no. I asked to speak directly with this so called supervisor. Sup came on and rightiously chanted the same garbage as if it was all brand new info for me. Offered no acceptable soultion - like a replacement with a NEW same TV. Why would any sane person pay $250. to replace a faluty TV or accept a re-furbished one in it's place? I was furious and let them know I would go on line.. She said if there were threats she would end the call, I said it is ended - and here I am. The picture is great but DO NOT BUY A VIZIO TV if you want to enjoy your TV problem free. These issues have ruined the enjoyment of the TV and I refuse to support a company like VIZIO by keeping it. Thankfully even though it has been over 90 days, when I went into my local Cost Co where I made the purchase, the were very supportive and said even though they do not have a similar or even better 47" TV at this time they will replace it with my TV of choice at any time. Bless Cost CO and #@*%?/ Vizio. I love the picture but hate the company and they do not deserve consumer support for offering a poor product and for their very lousy back up support. Buyer beware. Now I wonder what would be next after reading what has happened a few yrs down the road with other consumers with pictures going out etc. Even though it is less expensive, has a beautiful picture, and some people are lucky enough to not have issues with their VIZIO, I will shout on the roof tops - DO NOT BUY A VIZIO TV! Looks like a 60-40 chance of being satisified or miserable and having to deal with the Vizio people that after a few months don't back their product up or care one bit. Thank goodness for Cost Co! I took a long time in chosing this Vizio and now have no idea of what kind of TV I will eventually end up with now, major bummer. I never go on line with remarks of any kind or even read many, but anyone who reads this now has the opportunity to know the truth. VIZIO XVT473SV 47-inch Class Full Array TruLED LCD HDTV 240 Hz SPS with VIZIO Internet Apps

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 6:12:11 PM PDT
R. Pedigo says:
We bought ours at WalMart just before xmas... and now its doing all sorts of crazy things, like rebooting itself and coming back in various screen colors and designs. When we called WalMart, they said to call Vizio. We did. The 1st person said, oh yeh, we have a thumb drive we'll send you to fix that software problem. The next person we talked to about 10 days later (because we hadn't rec'd the thumb drive) said, there is no thumb drive fix, you have to take pictures of the screen when its in the various colors and designs and send those to us. ??????? So we've been doing that.
After reading your experience, and all of those since 2008, I wish I'd found this site BEFORE we bought! It sounds like we are out $1,000+ and Visio doesn't care!!! It will take us years to save up that kind of money again to buy another TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 7:44:56 PM PDT
Similar experience...problems foprm day 1. Volume goes up and down on its own, TV shuts down and reboot, audio sounds like being broadcast from a helicopter. Call Vizio...they tried to troubleshoot over the phone. Ten had me switch cable boxes...that didn't work. Called Vizio again, this time, after again going thru the story and troubleshooting again they sent out a tech. He repkace the audio board. Said that should fix problem but it did not. This time I replace the cable box at Vizio's request. Still no help. Called again...rep said (after delay and "consultation" this was a known problem would send out a firmware fix. This only fixed part of the problem. Called Vizio again and they said I had two choices ...give them creit card depositand they will send out a refurbished TV...depost will be returned when they get the old one back or send the old one back and they will send me a refurbished TV. This is not acceptable. Spoke to a supervisor....same story. Told him this was not going to happen. I plan to write/call the corporate office and the CEO (Wm Wang) and copy my local TV and newspaper consumer reporters. If that doesn't work it will be small claims court. VIZIO is typical of the type of thing that brought down the US auto makers

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:13:47 AM PDT
Did you ever get this problem resolved?
Joe

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 9:47:44 AM PDT
R. Pedigo says:
I agree with M. Silverman - why should we 'settle' for a used TV, we bought a new one! We'd rather have our money back! Let us buy something more reliable. They are wasting our time and theirs buy trying to 'fix' something they know they have no fix for!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Vizio forum (46 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Vizio forum
Participants:  179
Total posts:  440
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2008
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 35 customers

Search Customer Discussions