Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > War Fiction forum

Favorite War Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-60 of 60 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:17:30 AM PDT
J Burgess says:
We all seem to be on the same thread here. As a career Army officer there are a select few books that most of my peers all seem to enjoy, myself included.

Once an Eagle
Starship Troopers
Gates of Fire

These are probably some of the most influential books I've read since I was old enough to put down the video games. Last year I tried my hand at military fiction and used my experiences as well as those of my soldiers to write a fictional account of the War in Afghanistan. It came out somewhere between Matterhorn (fiction, fact based war drama), and Outlaw Platoon (internal running dialogue about war and leadership). I would encourage you all to check it out and let me know what you think.

Another Day in Paradise

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 11:06:19 PM PDT
E. L. Brazil says:
If you are interested in the air war over Vietnam backlit by the political and historical intrigues unfolding in the White House and Pentagon during that period, you will find EL Speed's novel PROXY WAR published by Metaterra (print and Kindle e-book at Amazon) a fascinating and thoroughly enjoyalbe read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 1:55:31 PM PDT
SusieQ says:
Just read a great WWI novel, by Stuart Cloate: HOW YOUNG THEY DIE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:15:28 AM PDT
Ken Farmer says:
I offer as a suggestion the first novel in the Black Eagle Force series, "Black Eagle Force: Eye of the Storm", currently #9 in Amazon's Best War Fiction top 100 and #28 in the Action Adventure list. One top reviewer said: "Reminiscent of Clancy's best, but this book has more action."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 10:38:50 AM PDT
A. McGrath says:
I love Cloete's stuff, he was a great author.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 10:54:17 AM PDT
While checking out Ken Farmer's Black Eagle Force, there was a cross recommendation from Amazon that reminded me of a very good series from 20 or so years ago. Mark Berent's Rolling Thunder series. There are five books in all in the series. I have read the first three and found them to be very good fiction about the air war in Vietnam, written by a pilot who was there. I realize that the younger generation might not be interested in that war, they are more tuned in to Iraq and Afghanistan, but this series is worth reading.

And, while on the subject of the air war in Vietnam, Tom Wilson's trilogy about the F105s and the Wild Weasel programs is another worth the time to read. Tom Wilson was a WIZZO in F105s, so he knows what he's talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:11:35 AM PDT
Ken Farmer says:
J.D., keep an eye out for the third in our Black Eagle Force series, "Return of the Starfighter". Out FB fan page.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 12:47:19 PM PDT
Happyone says:
Very good Civil war Novel - Ralph Peters' "Cain at Gettysburg". I would put it up there with Shaara's "Killer Angels".

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 5:55:35 AM PDT
I just (2 days ago) released Hamfist Over The Trail: The Air Combat Adventures of Hamilton "Hamfist" Hancock (The Adventures of Hamilton "Hamfist" Hancock) at a special introductory price. If you like Aviation Adventure in a Vietnam War setting, I think you'll enjoy it.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 9:49:25 PM PDT
"Field of Fire," a Vietnam novel by James Webb, later Secretary of the Navy and now a US Senator.

"The Lionheads" by Josiah Bunting. Both of these are excellent depictions of the Vietnam, books that John Wayne would ignore.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the War Fiction forum (23 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  War Fiction forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions