Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > War forum

Active Duty Soldier Author Needs Reviews and Support of Novels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2011 7:01:31 PM PST
Broken Under Interrogation is about two Iraq War Veterans who torture and murder drug dealers in a rust belt ghetto. It is loaded with true horror stories from the urban battlefields of Iraq.

The Gideons is a adventure quest novel with elements of horror. Isaac is a young man who grew up in an apocalyptic cult that knows the "truth" about the end of civilization. Upon his expulsion from this cult, he embarks on a quest to find out the true nature of the world and himself.

Neither of these works are for the faint of heart. If you email me at, I'd even be happy to send you a .pdf of both or one of the works.

Jeffrey M. Hopkins

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 6:22:48 AM PST
Lew Troop says:
Dear Sir-

You propose two interestingly plotted novels. Just on the precis, the first sounds the stronger of the two pieces but, without reading a bit of them, that's more guess than accuracy. I'm always concerned about offering to read works that are the intellectual properties of others as one cannot entirely know how safe either side might be.

As to my credentials, years of screenwriting, primarily at Paramount (God Forbid, on "Bonanza") and on loan out to other studios on occasion. I'm still active, have an agent but generally confine myself to Physics and History.

I wish you great success and, if you think I can be of assistance, let me know in what way.

Lew Troop

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 7:30:57 PM PST

Thanks for you interest and support. I'm currently in Afghanistan and don't have much time for the business side of things, but I would be happy to discuss my novels with anyone you know who may be interested in highly original storylines. You're right about the synopses. I find it very difficult to boil down my novels into neatly packaged, marketable catch phrases. I realize this is a necessary evil for me. Perhaps I should hire someone to do it for me. Basically at this point, I'm a one man show, with occasional support from a paid editor. Writing is what I love, and I'm going to continue at it no matter if I achieve commercial success or not. If you're interested in discussing writing or literature in general more, you can email me at I wish you well in your endeavors.

Jeffrey M. Hopkins

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 11:58:59 AM PST
mikepoeltl says:
I'd like to give your book a spin for a review Jeffrey. I too have written two in a series of Apocalyptic fiction myself, The Judas Syndrome and Rebirth (The Judas Syndrome).
I'll e-mail you at the provided address.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2011 11:39:09 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2012 7:53:29 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 8:43:05 AM PST
Lew Troop says:
Dear Mr. Fisher:

I took a few moments to read as much of the diary as was possible...which wasn't a great lot.Your cousin has an interesting eye for details that are of enormous value to anyone trying to go from book to screen or stage play. It's one thing to say, "X walked into a room" and quite another to say, "X walked into a room in Versailles" and even more so to say, "X was proceeded into the throne room of Versailles by the Court Chamberlain." Without reading the whole thing, it's not possible to make a comment one way or the other.. One cannot know whether you're going to find "From Here to Eternity" or "From Here to Tedium". Diaries have the nasty habit of being too personal-that is, after all, their intent-and mainly of interest-if any-to their family and friends. That said, it's quite possible to find an incident and there's the story. But it's not the whole diary. James Michener was appalled at Rogers and Hammerstein when they bought his "Tales of the South Pacific" and produced only a small part but a huge hit, "South Pacific". (One feels certain that his royalties over seven or more decades have assuaged his initial reservations.)

This isn't meant to be discouraging, only to point out certain elemental problems. I'll buy the book, read it and let you know my further thoughts.

Most Cordially

Christopher Howse

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 8:59:24 AM PST
Lew Troop says:
As a post script perhaps I should tell you that I'm quite familiar with Peleliu having spend considerable time in Palau. At the time-more than four decades ago-Continental Airlines had hired me to write some publicity pieces about the place for their subsidiary, Air Micronesia. I'm rather afraid I took advantage of them. Finding it an attractive place and rife with excellent scuba diving sites, I lingered rather longer than the week they had in mind. Eventually I stayed three months, almost long enough to qualify for resident alien status and to become more than familiar with local lore about WWII and other lesser known facts about well known people. Robet Six, then CEO of Continental, liked what I eventually produced and had a silver mug engraved with my name and hung in a bar in a hotel which Continental owned. Whether the bar or the mug or, for that, the hotel are still there I know not. But the islands are and about them I'm quite well informed.

I've just ordered the book and look forward to receiving it...eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 4:43:22 PM PST
Gary Fisher says:
Dear Mr. Howse,

I appologize for addressing you as Mr. Troop in my previous discussion if that is not correct.

I look forward to hearing more from you when you read the diary. You are correct in saying there may only be interest from a family's point of view and that is the one thing I was afraid of. However, I have received several unbiased reviews that pleased me from people I don't know and even the younger generation. I am just happy that I was able to have it published and sincerely hope it will be read by many in the years to come. Thank you for your support!

Gary Fisher

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 8:32:32 AM PST
Lew Troop says:
Dear Mr. Fisher

I have now read your cousin's diary, twice, and need to think about what you're asking. This discussion is best continued away from Amazon so if you would contact me at, we can begin the process of how it might be transformed into some sort of cogent story line. Here's my first suggest; Delete Chapter Two which might easily be subtitled, "Girls, Girls, Girls".

I look forward to hearing from you,

Most Cordially,

Christopher Howse, PhD

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 7:34:34 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2012 7:54:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 8:57:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2011 8:59:41 PM PST
Gary Fisher says:
Mr Hopkins,

Sorry if I offended you. I have the highest respect for our men in uniform and I wish you well with your writing. I'm not familar with how these Amazon blogs work so if I'm out of bounds I apologize.

Gary Fisher

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 8:57:21 PM PDT
No offense taken. I hope all is well with you.

Jeffrey M. Hopkins
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the War forum (58 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Money Connection 0 Aug 22, 2015
Fealogfor ?? 3 Aug 7, 2015
American Mojo must be recaptured to defend the nation 0 Jul 28, 2015
Enemies of Democracy and the Disenfranchised are Vulnerable to Plain Justice 3 Jul 26, 2015
Iran, N.Korea, ISIS and a Cobalt or other Doomsday Device 1 Jul 26, 2015
Preparing for Human Rights Not Degeneration 0 Jul 25, 2015
The Middle East threat of War / WMD Terrorism compel US / Russia / NATO / China / India/ Japan / Military Alliance 2 Sep 16, 2014
Money has got to be controlled like an idealized river-reservoir system 0 Jun 28, 2014
Is "ISIS", and "loss of financial confidence", cause for action by scientists and leaders of democracies able to prevent a nuclear winter (or similar result of inaction)? 0 Jun 26, 2014
German POW's in England 1 Jun 2, 2014
War, Policy, Law, Prediction and Reality : Obama Speaks at West Point 0 May 29, 2014
Our New Money Will be Backed by Output of Goods and Services 3 May 13, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  War forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions