Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2008 2:02:06 PM PDT
Isri Persaud says:
Does anybody know about this brand ?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2008 12:00:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2008 12:00:55 PM PDT
X says:
It's a brand sold on Amazon.com that looks a bit of Chinese origin to me. If it is, I would advise caution: some of the watches are sold by Amazon, and some by independant traders. That could entail "variable" after-sales support, and I would not buy, well not for a few years probably, a Chinese watch without verified impeccable after-sales support.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2008 5:04:52 PM PDT
Hello Isri Persaud,

Learn more about the Stuhrling Original brand by visiting the Stuhrling Original watches store at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/stuhrlingoriginal

Thank you,
Amazon Watches Team

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2008 11:03:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2008 3:16:47 AM PDT
X says:
And when we do read the edifying document, we learn that Stuhrling Original are in respect of the traditions of the Swiss watch-making traditions and I can't be bothered to remember the rest. There's a thing about a Swiss-owned factory of unspecified geographical position.

What we need from Amazon is the maximum of neutrality that a sales organisation can have, so that we may be long-term, satisfied, multi-repeat clients. The Stuhrling Original blurb is very similar to the blurbs issued by brands that have left behind them a trail of very unhappy clients, so how can we judge Stuhrling Original?

We judge them by buying from sales organisations with impeccable after-sales attitudes, and "waiting and seeing" before going to less well known and judged sales organisations. That's as far as I am going with this paraphrase of my previous post. Anyone who still doesn't get my message, Amazon employee or Amazon client, needs help I am not qualified to give.

And if anybody doesn't like this post: What do you want me to write, a stack of hypocrisy?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 8:59:01 PM PDT
JamesD says:
I bought one of the $99 quartz models, in my opinion it was maybe a $30 watch in a $30 box. I own a lot of watches in the $50-150 range so I know what to expect at that price point. I was more impressed with the packaging than the watch itself which I ended up returning. One thing I found suspicious is that in the box was an offer for a free warranty extension to 3 years [I believe 1 year is standard] in exchange for a positive Amazon review which I found not a little sketchy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 6:59:05 AM PDT
I currently own 6 Stuhrling watches and am supremely happy with each and every one of them. I even called them a couple of times with some questions on resetting a watch, and their customer service reps were extreamly helpful and professional. From what I understand their goal is to cater to the average middle class worker who dreams of owning a real high end Swiss expensive watch but can't afford it (which I think applies to the majority out there). Well it sure works for me, and some people who were so impressed when seeing my watches they started buying Stuhrlings themselves. I guess this is like everything else in life what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 3:34:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2008 3:43:56 PM PDT
X says:
Personal shopper: Chinese watches are a bit of a question of luck, although it seems they are learning lessons about quality control and putting them into practice. When you do have one that works properly it will tick ponderously on for ever and a day, or so it seems. My son and I thought it would be fun to risk a few bucks on a Chinese watch each, then one of his friends joined in. First phase, the trader had a nightmare, but out of 5 watches offered 3 were OK, and soon 2 years later they are still hammering away, fit for purpose. The Chinese manufacturers will improve; it would be imprudent to deny that. However it's not likely they will really get to grips with Western tastes, so they'll have to impose their own style. Mmmm... And they'll need to stop some of the weird aspects of their marketing. Even more Mmmm...

But all the time their factories are producing truck-loads of counterfeit watches, their horological industry will not get the respect Chinese people quite correctly crave in all they do. "Down by the Pearl River, tralala, lala, lala..." Why do people always make watches in beautiful country-side?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 2:57:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2008 3:41:26 PM PDT
I just bought a Sthurling watch by Amazon, (Stuhrling Original Men's Special Reserve 'Emperor' Automatic Dual Time Zone Watch #127.33452) and all I can said is that there is a problem of sincerity with the brand.
In first place, they talk of a Swizz tradition, but they never mention where their watches are really made (China), they anounce their watches with ¡¡spectacular "discount prices"!!, for example, they said in the Amazon ad that this watch had an original price of 1,300 dlls, or something like that, and they say that it has an extraordinary discount of 70%, so it was anounced in a price of 390 dlls. more or less, but then again they don´t tell the buyers that their real cost is proximately of 200 dlls., no more.
Why just don't simply said the truth. and let the buyers take a well informed choice?.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 4:14:24 PM PDT
X says:
Augustin: You've raised the same doubts on another thread, so I'll ask you the same question: do you want me to tell you what I really think?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 4:41:18 PM PDT
Yes Mr. E. Sandalls; I guess what´s what your really thinking about my post. And I´m affraid about what will be the answer that I´ll receive from Amazon or Sthurling. But still believe that is important that these companys do something about this situation because I think that we, the consumers, have the right to receive all the important information before making a buy on this or any other item, service or product. You can call me dreamer, but I think that we all can make the difference with our participations on discussions like this...
Scincerly from México, Agustín Rodríguez C.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008 8:27:36 PM PDT
I can tell you what I think.... Stuhrling is a brand owned by Timeworks International Inc. of 449 20th St Brooklyn, NY , 11215-6247
Phone: 212-382-1922. The place is a hole in the wall, and the owners are jewish immigrants from Ukraine. If that sounds Swiss to anyone definitely not to me.

For all US-sold brands there is an excellent site www.findownersearch.com - just type in the brand and see who owns it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 5:07:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2008 5:08:57 AM PDT
X says:
Jose: is that really your name? Nah, can't be? I use velcro for my orthopaedic boots, and it's a French invention, not Spanish.

But your reply is most welcome, and would explain the variety of qualites and sources of watches that are sold under the Stuhrling banner. Seems to me that "Sterling" being already used in ths watch industry, our Ukranian friends tried to simulate with a phonetic version.

So I repeat my advice from another discussion: be very careful, have a good look at the watch and at your motivation before you let go of your cash.

Compare the Stuhrling you like with other watches available on your national market. There are many choices, of watches of a clearly defined origin, around the Stuhrling price points. Never, ever, buy a watch before you are entirely certain that you really want it, and that you know enough about it. Regretting a hasty purchase of a watch is almost inevitable. I know, I made that mistake when I first started collecting "seriously". I have had so many watches to hand on to family and friends, particularly when I was not careful about the movement in a watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 10:01:02 PM PDT
Scouser says:
Velcro is Swiss!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 4:43:46 AM PDT
X says:
Peut-etre que c'est Suisse maintenant, mais a l'origine il y avait un francais tres "M. Tout-le-Monde" qui avait remarque que la nature utilise des systemes a crochet pour attacher, surtout cote plantes et cote insectes. Il l' a recherche sous l'appellation "VELours CROchete", donc le nom Velcro s'est invente quasiment tout seul.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 12:30:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2008 5:31:19 PM PDT
Hmmm...E.Sandalls... what's in a name? If I would say my name is James Bruce Pratt III or Yu-No-Hu will it make a difference? But apart from that, you are absolutely right. Calibre (movement) makes the watch. I would stay away from chinese movements either quartz or mechanic (mind you, there are very decent chinese watches, like Seagull, but they don't do OEM). I had a friend who was in beer industry, and he used to say that a can of a beer can't cost less than the price of aluminium it is made of. Likewise, there is a "minimum minimorum" for popular watches - at least Ronda (swiss) or Miyota (japanese) quartz movements or ETA 2824 mechanic.

And of course pay attention to who makes the watches, even designer ones. For example Pirelli or Roberto Cavalli are made by Sector Group, which is a watch making company, and Invicta is made by .... Diadora which is a sports apparel company. While I am more than happy to use Diadora shoes while playing tennis, I will never buy Invicta watches. If I would go for a cheap watch, I will buy a japanese watchmaker brand - Citizen, Orient or Seiko. But a "Stuhrling"... God forbid!

By the way... velcro is Swiss indeed. It was invented in 1941 by a Swiss engineer, George de Mestral from the french-speaking part of Switzerland. (At the moment Velcro is US owned). And as you say brand name doesn't mean anything. For example "Caran d' Ache" is a Swiss brand named after French cartoonist, who picked a russian word for pencil - "carandache" as his artist name. Go guess and figure...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2008 8:38:27 AM PDT
David S says:
Chinese movements. I'd expect one of these to last a year or two and service to be unavailable. For what you'd pay for one of these (or perhaps a bit more) you can get a Seiko or Citizen that you can have for the rest of your life. Of go for a bit more and get a Hamilton. Again, something that you can have for the rest of your life.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2008 8:42:57 AM PDT
David S says:
"out of 5 watches offered 3 were OK"

So 40% of the watches that made it to the customer didn't work or were defective in some way? That's utterly unacceptable. There's obviously no quality control whatsoever in these Chinese factories. If you're looking to spend Stuhrling prices on a watch, buy a Seiko or a Citizen. They last forever and you'll be much happier.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 4:40:08 AM PDT
X says:
Jose Velcro. The French have always been objective and honest when talking about items of French origin. A short list of French inventions: the hot-air balloon; hot air; steam locomotives; the camera; the aeroplane; the automobile; wine; the bike; the motor-bike; good food; sex; the ball-point pen; the fountain pen; the felt-tip pen; the sheep pen; velcro; the two words that went into the name "velcro"; the Rubik's cube; the sugar cube; the centimetre cube; the stock cube; the stock exchange; the television; being modestly brilliant, and so on, all perfectly reasonable stuff.

If the French had not invented the planet Earth, we would not be having this discussion. Vive la France!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 8:41:31 AM PDT
E. Sandalls - well, now I know why the planet Earth stinks so badly... bof...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 9:23:18 PM PDT
David,

I don't think the poster was talking about 5 Stuhrling watches with 3 working fine, just watches with Chineese movements as opposed to Swiss movements I believe.

I own 2 Stuhrling watches and just ordered a third. I have had my Delphi for over a year and never one complaint. They make some really nice watches IMO for their price point. I've seen designer name brand watches (Kenneth Cole) for example costing the same or more and were broken or failed to work shortly after purchase. I don't think spending $125 - $150 is a BIG RISK on an interesting automatic watch. I get lots of compliments on the Stuhrling watches and I like them. I even used their customer support which was fantastic and very helpful. I would recommend them to anyone. Try one and see for yourself. I like their skeleton watches best.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 5:10:41 AM PDT
X says:
Just Some Guy: you have correctly quoted my post. Brands like Stuhrling are difficult to "grasp", their watches are spread over such a range of qualities. A good after-sales culture, as you have found, saves the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 9:38:01 PM PDT
James Reese says:
It's very interesting that the company which offers the Stuhrling watch goes to such lengths to hide the country of manufacture--which is China. I've read reviews about these watches inexplicably stopping, having their hands fall off, and having illuminated dots drop off the watch face. Most reviews say that they keep terrible time. Before I got one of these Chinese-made watches, I'd buy a Seiko or Casio. Better an honest Seiko or Casio than a cheap watch masquerading as a quality watch!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2008 7:13:11 AM PDT
The Stuhrlings I own work great. No problems to speak of. They do stop "explicably" if you don't know it's an automatic watch that has a reserve of about 38 hours if you stop wearing it. As for time keeping, it stays accurate to about a minute or 2 over a few weeks. How accurate do you need? I usually set my watch ahead 5 minutes anyway on purpose! Gasp!

If your looking for an interesting skeleton watch buy a Stuhrling and give it a try. If you want run of the mill time keeping go to Walmart and pick up a cheap quartz watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2008 11:01:55 AM PDT
I have to agree with Mr. Reese's statement. I own one Stuhrling watch which I have worn sporadically for about a year, and though I have had no problems with it, I am suspicious of a company that goes to such great lengths to hide and mislead about its country of origin.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 7:32:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2008 7:33:04 AM PDT
I would agree they make efforts to hide the fact that it's made in China, up until you open the box and see the made in china stickers. Don't expect a quality Swiss made movement for $135. If they advertised made in China in their marketing, how many watches would they sell? I don't really care if it's made in China when I spent under $200 for it. If I spent over a grand then I would be very annoyed if I felt I was deceived. I don't think they are doing anything wrong with their marketing. They're also a phone call away. I've used their customer service, located in their office in NYC. Quick response and helpful. What more could you want from someone selling inexpensive watches?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Watches forum (615 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Watches forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Jul 26, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions