Customer Discussions > Watches forum

Chinese movements are not coming; they are here, or as good as...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-43 of 43 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:19:11 AM PDT
My name's Howard J. Turkstra. I'm from Kansas City. My hobbies are fast cars and fast women. Because... That's why guys in my car club call me "The Cruiser."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:32:48 AM PDT
GRiM says:
Ah, but the real question is whether you like fast watches.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 11:54:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 12:06:14 PM PDT
L. Popoff says:
Interesting, Barry. Thanks, bud. Did you know that Doug was a Navy brat also? Seems like we have a strong Navy/Coast Guard connection here. We once had John B. with us who had served with the British Navy. He was older than me, so they didn't have boats back then. John's job, in lieu of sailing, was to identify water.

GRiM has never been in the service. His Mom wouldn't let him join. She was afraid he'd be introduced to big watches (lol). Glad to see that you like divers, too. When I get up to Portland I'll try and remember to bring the two Seikos as well as the Deep Blue. I have two dream watches, and dreams they will probably remain; the DSSD Rolex and the Breitling (I have drawn a complete blank, not unusual for me --- the 3000m one). Had a Breitling Steelfish, but gave it to my oldest son. Really liked that one. A great watch.

Glad that you decided to participate more frequently. LP

Finally dawns on me --- the Seawolf.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 3:05:58 PM PDT
Bobby says:
Breitling is a great dream i have the same dream L

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:05:17 PM PDT
L. Popoff says:
Yeah Bobby, Breitling makes great watches. Who knows, maybe one day I can have that Seawolf and you your favorite model. The Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller is way beyond me, even used. LP

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 6:44:31 PM PDT
Mike S says:
Here's a nice watch for you LP - http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-1-BLACK,14.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:53:38 PM PDT
L. Popoff says:
Thanks Mike, but had the Debaufre version of it, and it now resides on my brother's wrist. Very nice watches, but a tad too small at 42mm. LP

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 7:01:21 PM PDT
Mike S says:
I knew you would say that ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:33:35 PM PDT
L. Popoff says:
Glad that I didn't disappoint you, bud (lol). LP

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:49:35 PM PDT
David Wolfe says:
LP, this one is at least the perfect size: 53mm diameter, 15mm thick, 24mm band and weighs two pounds! Seriously! If I didn't have far too many Swiss quartz chronos at around this price point ($70), I might consider for size alone..who couldn't use another WOMD for personal defense!....nice! ;-)

http://www.mrwatch.com/swiss+precimax_sp12052_watch-1681882994.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:23:37 AM PDT
GRiM says:
Ah, the Swiss Precimax Valor Elite, with Sapphimax crystal! Manufactured in that little-known part of Switzerland called China. ;-)

While still perhaps not quite big enough for LP (I have it on good authority he defecates bigger watches than that), it would at least be suitable for the mountain gorillas he wears on his wrists. (After all, the mountain gorillas need their own watches to know when to wind LP's watches - remember, LP can't wind his own lest he break them.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:58:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:59:46 AM PDT
L. Popoff says:
Very good, GRiM (hee hee hee).

But, what is this I hear about your State of New Jersey passing a law that requires dogs and cats to be seat belted while in one's automobile? And, that the fine for an infraction of this enlightened law is considerably more than that if a human was caught without his belt buckled? LOL! What a State!

Then again, I also hear that the city you work in has enacted over the next fifteen months a ban on serving soda drinks larger than 16 ounces. I have a secret informant. His initials are VS, and he shoots possums.

I can only imagine what New Jersey would fine me if I broke a mainspring in that State. But, as long as I had my mountain gorillas properly restrained whilst in the car I'm sure that they would be lenient.

Golly, bud! We've got to get you to another region of the country! Pretty soon they will be telling you what watches to wear (sure, it can't be any worse than what you already wear --- Big Guffaw). LP

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:35:25 PM PDT
GRiM says:
LP, I don't think the pet seat belt is quite as idiotic as it sounds at first blush. The concern is dogs sitting in the driver's lap and interfering with his/her vision and/or steering, or a cat crawling down into the driver's feet and getting into the pedals. The reason behind the larger fine is that the behavior could result in injury to others on the road because of loss of control of the vehicle.

Now, my preferred approach would be to consider a free-roaming animal in the car an aggravating factor in deciding whether and how to charge a driver who causes an accident, rather than passing a law that probably won't be enforced. As far as the NY "no Big Gulp" law goes, I'm not going to comment on that one (other than to note I'm still working in NJ until next month). But now we're getting into politics again.

Just take solace in the fact that (i) if you can train a mountain gorilla to wind your watch, and presumably also post your messages on this forum (I don't believe that you've really learned how to use a keyboard), you should be able to teach it to put on its seatbelt; and (ii) so far, there is no ban on watches over 16 ounces.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:56:48 PM PDT
L. Popoff says:
GRiM, have you ever tried to seat belt a cat? Or, is the State of New Jersey forcing the owners to buy pet restraining seats? Will the fine be lower if the dog is buckled up but caught driving?

I love this stuff, bud (lol).

Hey, you're right about needing help with the keyboard. The apes contribute the other eight fingers.

Okay, so when is your trip to Hawaii? Will you be posting while you're gone? Should be grand fun, bud. Especially as you will have the opportunity to meet our Van. You guys have a drink on me. Seriously, whoever pays for it just tell me what it cost and I'll reimburse him. Kinda like being there. LP

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:24:33 PM PDT
KJK SLC says:
LP You don't want us both to be commenting on the wisdom of these ideas, now, do you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 2:02:05 PM PDT
L. Popoff says:
Kyle, my friend, have at it, bud. Love to hear from you on this --- get a legal perspective, as it were. LP

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 2:22:30 PM PDT
X says:
LP: The words "legal" and "perspective" are suited to one another no more than "military" and "intelligence".

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 4:17:23 PM PDT
L. Popoff says:
Having been in military intelligence I can personally attest to your wisdom, X. lol. LP
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Watches forum (614 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Watches forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions